Author   Comment  
Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
The most common question for now:
 What do I do  with  the MOXY SmO2  value.?
I  have many feed backs  , where people absolutely understand, that the  new ability to actually see , what do you have left in your " gas tank "   or how the " gas tank level  is changing :
 Whether I " refuel ' running very stable and efficient  or whether I push the pedal a Little bit  too much down  and my run myself into trouble before I reach the final destination )

Well we try  and will keep trying to  explain the use of MOXY information with many practical  examples, we get over our  email or directly on here.
  BUT

I will ask  some questions:
 You can answer back on here or try to answer them honestly for yourself.:

a) You buy a wattage  meter for your bike  :  Price ????

You mount it an you go out  for a workout  you do since  many years perhaps. You  see the wattage info  live   and you come home  an  download the info.
 Here  what you tried  to do :

Jureg et al.

I am attaching the .csv file overlaid with my power out put today from my Joule GPS data for my "Openers" ride before some cyclocross tomorrow.

Some things I see....it's interesting that right away while warming up for 15min, my smO2 is ~50.

I then go through my opener protocol of 2 x 1min ON FULL GAS, 2min OFF and then 3 x 30sec ON FULL GAS, 60sec OFF.

I notice that post openers on the rest of my ride back to work, my smO2 is much higher with values >60 for the rest of the ride. Very interesting. I am guessing this is the physiological case of "Opening" the legs up after a completely OFF rest day?

Okay  here pic  1  your wattage  printout. Open question:
 What do you do with this now :
? You have a " absolute " number on how much wattage you pushed in the  2 x 1 min  and the  3 x 30 sec.  You  see that  and now what ??  True you know that your " warm up " was somewhere between  200 and 300 wattage ".  You assume it was a warm up  but  did you really increase the capillarisation  and  did you  really get the oxygenation up to the optimal level  with this wattage  of  your personal feeling : Than we know the cool down  was somewhere between 200 and 300 wattage. .
 Now     why did   I choose this wattage level based on what  information  and if  I used a wattage test  like a FTP   why do I know , that by this wattage  I  stimulate   the right idea  I  have in mind ?

Please  help   all wattage users  , what   can you read out of this besides the values  if  this is your first time use  of a wattage meter ???

b)  you  just bought  a great  Heart rate monitor  with GPS  and  all the incredible features we  can get now  like cadence  and  speed  and altitude  and GPS  : Price ????? 

Here the same workout  in a pic :

You see during the workout  that HR goes up and down and when you push really hard you see the HR goes up   very high and when you push  really hard you see the wattage is going up very high  as well ?

In contrary to the wattage , which always drops  down  when you push less ,the HR   seems to increase  during the  whole workout . more and more  and seem not to settle down. So in the warm up  wattage  of 200 - 300 you seem to have a different HR  than in the cool down  wattage of 200 - 300 .
 Hmmm what do you do  now as a first time user  with the HR alone.
 True ,you  can read the  handbook and see, that   you can take 220 - your age   and  than you even  will be able to calculate your  optimal intensity to  use  Fat   or  glucose  and you even  know , where your maximal HR  suppose to be.  Now   we only can hope   it fits  to your  individual information. ???

So all HR  users please  give  more information  on what you can read  out of this first time users graph  of a HR .???  
c) now you buy a MOXY  and you do the same workout.
 Here the pic  of SmO2  .

Now you see the same workout  from a physiological point of view.
 Forget the other  2 info's  as we  brutally will look as well just what you see on here.
 As a first time user  you may at least know   like for wattage, that wattage gives you a  number indicating, whether you pushed  more or less.
 HR will give you  number, whether your heart was beating faster or slower.
 SmO2  will give you  a number telling you , whether you used more or less O2  .
 Now  what can you see in that regards., when looking at the workout  and than you look at the  physiological respond  of ASmO2  .
 Now    go back and look   at the same  loads the Physical  _ performance respond  and whether they agree  with the way  you produced this physical performance physiologically   Questions :
  Does the wattage curve indicates, that you loaded in your warm up more O2    same or less.
 Can you see  from the wattage , whether your warm up actually achieved   one of the warm up ideas ???
 Same question for your HR  trend ??
 same question to your  SmO2 trend.

So let's see  :
 Wattage information, what  physiological feedback do we get   and what  information can we see in   the   wattage numbers on this graph ??  Are you sure, when you go next time out an push the same wattage, that you use the same physiological intensities  for  cardiac  , respiratory  and oxygenation intensity ? You may even have used a MAX Lass  assessment  and got wattage  and a lactate number out of this.
 Are we sure  , that  by that wattage  you will test the same lactate  every time you   push this wattage in  this workout ???
  Now look at the physiological  bio feed backs  together :
  HR and SmO2   ????
 Now look at the 2  hard loads  and the 3 very hard loads.
 ?????
. The physical information tells you  a very different  story  compared to the physiological information.
 ????

Okay here a " deal"
All wattage user  tell us  how   and what you can do with the wattage graph the why we see it if you know all about wattage   but you did not do a basic test like a VO2  max test with wattage  or a  FTP.
  For all heart rate believer under us  tell us what you do with the  HR graph   without having a test done  like a LBP test or a 2  and 4 mmol test  or  what ever test we do . Just from the graph.
 For all lactate users   tell us how you would have used lactate   during this workout    without any   test  before  like a LT  test or AT test or ANT test  or VT test  or  2 and 4 mmol test or a 45 degree  tangent against the lactate curve test or a MAX Lass test  or a Conconi test.
 Woowww  incredible what we all do on test backing them all up with Validation , where the   .,validation is based on the authors  title and letters  more often than on scientific   base ideas.
  ( Smile ).  So if we get some great feed backs here, than I try to tell you what we  can ready out of the  MOXY graphs  we get  during the same workout.
 So hopefully lot's of   interesting feed backs on HR , wattage and lactate   uses  when  working out  like in this example.
 Okay let's be fair. If you like to take on the wattage  you can use  any test you use  to justify  why you chose this wattage  as a specific workout  idea.
 If you use HR   tell us what test you use to justify  this specific HR  levels.
 So we still we  just use the MOXY graph  and not yet will use  any test information  to justify     what happens  during that workout. We can not justify why we did this but we  can tell you what happened   during this workout .
 Let's  the fun   discussion begin.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: watt_usa.jpg, Views: 31, Size: 43.76 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: usa_hr.jpg, Views: 33, Size: 71.57 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: usa_smo2.jpg, Views: 34, Size: 69.86 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: smo2_hr_usa.jpg, Views: 31, Size: 75.41 KB 

Roger

Here's the same power data, but I smoothed it using a 20 second rolling average to make it a little bit easier to see.

[image]

Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Roger  thanks  .
 I hope  somebody  of the  now  very many readers is keen to   hear   what we do with SmO2  .
 hmmm  I would love to hear, what I missed over the last 30 years  when using  power and HR and lactate   and why I  am so  happy with the info we now get   from MOXY.
  So  the deal is ( smile , you tell me what you can read  out of this wattage  info  from a very expensive  tool  and I tell you what we  can see from MOXY a less expensive tool. Smile . no pressure I will tell you anyway   but try to tell yourself   the answers.
Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Okay here some thoughts  ( NOR  a critic  ) just some  thoughts  and my need  some feed backs:

Some things I see....it's interesting that right away while warming up for 15min, my smO2 is ~50.

What was the objective idea of  " warming up. See the discussion   with S,M.
  When I look the  power data's  than the warming up started   with a bang of  somewhere of 250 wattage  with a HR at that time  down  by 50 - 70.
. That means  the  ability to actually create  ATP    is based on the storage of  O2 in the myoglobin  ( Remember the   myoglobin  Hb  O2 Diss curve  at the start of an exercie.)  if you keep this mind you know why SmO2   may never was able anymore to increase.) and  relative little support over CO   and VE  from that  rest to that high  power output  as a warm up  idea.( What kind of a respiratory respnder  may he be. Look at the VO2  test you may still have  .
  Here the question.
  Is the 200 - 250 watt  warm up power based on an assessment.
 Is it a  %  of  FTP assessment.
 Is it a % of  VO2 max power  of a VO2  max test.
 Is it based on a MAX Lass power out put  and a % of that ?
. You can see many questions  and one big  big question:
 If it is based on any  % of any kind of "classical " test, how do we know , that his % power really allows the physiological system to react with the accordingly " Fight  and flight"  reactions.
 Can % of any  maximal  numbers really be used to  be sure the  reaction in every client is by the same % of max load the same. And even on an intraindividual base ?
 a)  HR and  SV increase  for CO  
 TV and RF increase  for VE
  Vascular reaction   through all the needed phases  as well as blood distribution.
Or is this  " warm up "  based on a  just feeling idea   and believe  , as it worked  in the past  , that it is physiological beneficial or is it just mentally needed.
 ?
 In this case it would be  fun to have  a VO2  max test result   and or a FTP  rest result  and or a MAX Lass test result   and than see, where  in the classical ideas the 250 +0- wattage are based  in the way of effort. Than  make a MOXY   endurance  5/1/5  protocol an the   protocol would be based on the   classical results  for  "  first steps.
.  I had a group asking , whether 60 watt steps  for a guy  who may have a 380 - 400 FTP   ability is too big.
 Well 200 - 250 wattage steps  from start to warm up seems  to me  much bigger as an idea.
  Here again a simple try out rule for starter.
 Take a FTP 50   wattage level so the wattage you push  over 30 min.  Let's assume it is 300 Watts.
 Now take  30 %  as the start  step so 100 watt.
 Now plan to five 5 +- 1  double step.
 So you can play with  100 - 300 watt = 200 watt. Split this  so 100 watt and split again so 50 watts.
 Your protocol is 100/150/200/250/300 and than what ever is left  for the  6 step.  Other example   your  FTP 50 is  260 watt.
 Take 30 %   so app 80 watt   80 - 260 = 180  split   so 90  split   so 45 .

protocol 80/ 125/170/215/260 plus what ever is left.
. In this case when we look at tHb  and SmO2    this client MOXY info shows no increase really in tHb  nor  in SmO2  meaning , that the  load  to start the warm up   is already demanding a lot  of   energy  to actual  maintain a decent balance.
  or   he  has simply  not an optimal vascularization and  a  not very developed in  mitochondria density. This option is  completly ruled out, when you see the wattage he pushes  in the all out  options.
  We will show later, what actually happened in the all out   power  peaks  as wattage does not tell anything more than wowww lot's of wattage but how did he physiologically achieved this wattage. Look at the reverse trend in  SmO2  and  power as he keeps going.
  Why ?

Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
I  have to  give some feedback on the  origin  of the above MOXY and wattage info.
  Here 2    responses   .
1.  Pic one is a  repeat of a workout   This was as so many do a tryout of a MOXY.  Let's   fix it  and go and see ???
 Similar like we do with many tools.
 Than  what's next. What do you do with it.
 Okay we have to make a small deal here.  I am getting bombarded  with  questions like, What is my limitation  followed by a MOXY cvs  file  . What  can you tell me  on my  performance  based on SmO2.
   Okay here the deal. You sent  your HR  curve in   as well as your power curves  and tell   the readers what we can  see  from them  and   as well the CVS  file and we can  have a discussion what shows  what and what can we sue  for training ideas.
  So this  picture case the  respond was the SmO2  seems    far too low. resp  not  normal  for  what ever . ( may have to go back an see  wording.
  So my question back was :
 What is NORMAL  and if    you have  a NORM   from what equipment  and    was it tested    with the same workout.
 So answers  still missing.
  So my  other responds  was. No norm  just individual  information. Make a n assessment to see what happens during  a  step test   5/1/5. They did an incredible great test for first assessment. We discussed short the steps  , short  discussion as the believed  50 - 60 watt is a too big step  but I predicted 5   steps   around  Whit the info I had  and it work well with the simple formula  we showed you here. So PIC  2 is the result of the step test  and look at SmO2  values compared to the  workout. What do you see ??
 The added  as well a VO2  equipment.
  So  deal 2 : What can you tell us  from the VO2   section  and data   on the ability  of this athlete   and what may be a limitation.  Than we can combine the 2 information's.  resp  I may add some additional   ideas to it   depending on the feedback  we can get  from the VO2   data's. And how we would use them  for  training planning.

There is a second answer I  have  to give here.
  A  super great picture  of a specific workout. I will give you just the overall view of the workout  and the reader can tell me  what  he  did  time wise  and perhaps   what happened in this   loads.
 I will show you than what we can see . with MOXY alone. Now   again a deal. If we would had  no MOXY  on this workout  what would  the coach  have gathered on information  and physiological stimulation  and effect this workout  would have on the body. ??
 Will be fun to have an answer  and explanation on this  small  challenge. Here pic three this  workout

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: usa_smo2.jpg, Views: 16, Size: 69.86 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IPAHD_USA_smo2.jpg, Views: 15, Size: 72.48 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: carson_micro_smo2.jpg, Views: 16, Size: 75.72 KB 

Marcel

Development Team Member
Ok here is a question that many readers would like to know. What do they do with the information? We have done our IPAHD so now we have our zoning and areas where limitations take place, they have done training with it and seen some trends. Looking closer at the information the users can identify that there is either a occlusion, compression, utilization problem, delivery problem etc etc. What is the most common basic approach based on experience to challenge some of the identifiable limitations? I realize that this a bit of a cookbook question and possibly answer but many moxy users won't have access to more advanced testing with Physioflow, Fitmate to get further information or even training advice. Even I am a trying to figure it all out of where to go from here so I am sure many users who are new to all the physiology on this forum will find it helpful to  get some training ideas that could help certain limitations that they spot in the SmO2 and tHB trends. So a possible example would be: SmO2 not dropping very low during IPAHD testing even though tHB is increasing, likely a Utilization limitation, possible solution: long easy workouts in the ARI and STEI area required to stimulate capillirization and mitochondria development.  

Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Marcel.
As usual great  and very nice critical point.
 I like to start with a very clear  and short answer  followed by  some  ideas we  try to  follow through:
Answer :
  We have no clue   ( Yet) on  how for sure to apply  the different intensities ( Zonings) we can identify.
 We all  for the moment  follow  simple "educated' ideas  on how it suppose to work. It sounds  great and sophisticated , but we have  very  little evidence, that  it works.
 The same problme  we had  or many still have with  the "classical" ideas  of  VO2  max = 100 %  and than   decided  ,based on %   for  some definition of zonings.
 Or  FTP  and than decided ion some definition of Zoning.

So here what we  work on  and the next step is a " starter guide " for MOXY  users  like coaches , test centers  and individuals.
 The Goal:
 1.  Common language,  so we talk all  from the same. The " new " langauge  will be  very different so we do NOT confuse classical terminology  with  new ideas.
 Otherwsie we end up where we  already are. 20 definition on what or when we supose  to have reached  VO2  max  , or  when or what suppose to be  LT  and so on.

We hope to have this out  worldwide  end  of this month for sure but it will be a  work in progress.
 We like to invite the growing numbers of MOXY users  to be a aprt of that developpment.
 Once we have this  in place , as well as a  " cook book"  assessment protocol. we are able to gather  informations and share them.

Step 2  than is  to have  coaches centers  and individuals  using  MOXy as a physiological  bio marker  combined  with what they already may use.
 Than they   record  the  internsities they  really now  can track with MOXY  down. They  not change their  training idea just simply record, what  and where , based on the MOXY info their  training intensity was  placed ( what zoning   or in what, if they move through different zonings.
 So you may go  with % of VO2  max  or you may use LBP  or FTP  what ever. Just   check  what happens in your  workout  with SmO2  and  what zoning based on MOXY the workout really took place.
 Than as you use MOXY  anyway for   most of the workouts , do every 3 - 6 weeks a  base MOXY protocol as a part of a workout.
 Why.?
 Now we have  a " classical" idea of a workout  and what it suppose or we hope should  change.  Than we re- assess  the reaction and see, what really has changed  .  This way we may have   20 - 30  people  working out  the same way  and we see a common  change   or we may see  20 people working out the same way but very different reactions  . As we now know  limiter and compensator  we than  can  create  closer  somethig like a " cook book" as we  now really can get informations based on physiological intensities , individually set up  and than the result is based on the reactions on that physiological based intensity   and not on a mathematical based  calulation.
 I will start showing how we  do that for the meoment  and how the  reaction of the body will  guide you through the next workout.
 Summary
 Marcel is absolutely on the  perfect  path.
 That is exactly what we   have to help each other creating a " cook book " with  an individual  system to guide you through your  training.
 A perfect goal, but we need some time.
 I can show many many years of  experience  ,as I work   daily since many years on this ideas  and  with clients,  but now we  think we are ready to go out  and  connect  with readers like on here, helping us to be better ( not the best  ) but betterr  and learning and exchangeing ideas and experience with each other as we now  have a common    language  and assessment idea.

The goal is to have individual people  really just using  MOXY plus  some common   bio marker.
 Dream is still a bio watch  with HR RF  and SmO2    and centers   helping  and supporting this individuals by offering the more sophisticated tools  for assessments. Than base the training on the simple tools like MOXY , HR  and RF  and  performance  information. Tools  anybody now can afford.    Now observe this over longer time periods to see how limiter or  compensator may have changed. I like to show you a  PP  I showed long time ago .And it is  time to review some on it. But   many of the regular readers   can now  put words and information to the pictures  after we  moved  along here nicely. 
 With the  compay SWINCO in Switzerland  and the network   Adnri is building up in Europe  we hope to have a network ging in a  very short time   for this exchanges.

I hope to be able to do the same in Canada ,as we   speak and started including to intergate it in schools . Brina Kozak already    has a canada wide network  for Ice hockey coaches  going  and    we look for more sport  specfic coaches  taking on the challange. and I hope to be able to support  Roger and his great team to build up the same in the USA  and than network  world wide.
 Goal for me is to have  in the  next 6 month  200 centers  world  wide  using MOXY  to their already existing tools  and help us to  gather info.
 So anybody out there looking for  datas for a PH.D.  or  for publications  or  simply  sees some values in this new directions , please contact us  and we can   get    this  idea going.

Contact  either 
http://www.moxymonitor.com
factquestions@hotmail.com
eukholdings@gmail.com

We like to integrate in this whole ideas as well  ideas like respiration   and   as well some individual  hydration testing as  pH  and  some  well known values  are all interconected.
 We have  a net work set up  already ,  but we need much more  help and people ,  pushing this limits.

Summary of the summary .
 Marcel , I will shwo  some ideas  without    promisng that they are smart  just try to explian  why  I would do this  and than  hoping people try and come back with reactions. If it does not work as  planned we see why in a re assessment  . If it works  we have  one " cook book"  idea we can start to use.
  It is all  based on actual information rather than on statistical interpretations.
 Hope this makes  sense  and I could fire up some  readers brain to be a part  of this idea in their country as a MOXY  " competency  " center     and or more.

Marcel I will start to show  some "cook book " ideas over the next few month as many of the regular readers now   see, how easy it is to assess  so now  it is  time to show how easy  it is to use it. Not easy as of yet to know  what   stimmuli create what reactions.
 Cheers and hope  to hear  from  more  people. 
Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Here 2 example  sent to us  from Carson.
Thanks so much.
 1.  A  moxy tryout  we showed before  and than he  made the in discussion   5/1/5  assessment. See the   workout   and the assessment pic 1  and pic 2   Second    2  MOXY data's  from Carson.  Pic 3 is a  specific  pre race workout    and  pic  4  is a specific training idea.

It would be fun to have an explanation  from the idea point of view  on what   he expects the workout   should achieve  an than we can look what the workout  is doing   from an oxygenation point of view   and than the  question is, whether  the result the workouts is giving   is the  one  we had planned  or is it very different.
  Than we  have this one step forward , where we see, a what we plan is doing   and what is changing.  Now here a closer look art  carsons  workout  from a "MOXY point of view.
  1. If we look from a wattage point of view   than we  have possibly a different information.
 Carson  my tell us  what he did  later . I will tell you  what I think happened  in that workout. a) look at the   load  levels  first 2 loads   are 900 - 1500   so 10 min load  followed by a 5 min  unload  and another 10 min load.  The loads look close to the same  low level in SmO2  so  very similar deoxygenation.
 There is a  difference in the first  start phase of load  1  and load  2  and we will come back later on that one.
 The first part I like to show is, that it is  incredible   on the  first moment, that he could go  that long  that low    on SmO2  . We would expect  that he  runs  into  " anaerobic " problem  very early on  but it is  so that he maintains the at  level over a full 10 min period.  I am not sure  but I would guess, that in a 5/1/5   assessment or in a classical VO2  3 min step test he may barely get that  load in the last 3 min step  as  " lactate "  would stop him ( just kidding with the lactate  but  he  will have problem  maintaining this low level over 3 min You can see in his    first try out workout   that he was not able  to hold that load  much longer than 2  - 3 min.
 Why in this case ????
  now  look  what we do with MOXY.
 a) first it  does not look like a smooth   10 min flat SmO2  .
 2 possible reason. Bad  fixation of the MOXY and interference.
  Most likley not  as  you will see if there is a light interference you have very erratic   spikes  and not that kind of an organized      line.
 So  we go and look closer  what happens.
 See  next pic  micro wave.
 You see  a very nice  pattern  of  about  15 sec to 15  sec  see  30 sec lines.
 So he  did a very organized     change in load.
  The load change  was not big  resp. Long enough to   increase  oxygenation dramatically  but  just long enough to  help top balance of  a  dysbalance in the working muscles.
. Some possible would argue  that he did a anaerobic power  workout.  It is in fact   not anaerobic  at all   as he maintains the   load  10 min.  It is    as well not alacticid  as  he will produce  a lot of lactate. Whether it shows  up on the finger is another question and most likely it will not show up that much.
 He  loads  uses  O2  and lactate  unloads  and  gets rid of H +  over respiration   an loads  again  and so on.
 So he   found a a b balance   between   hard loads d and sufficient  unload  to   always reload   enough O2    to maintain  the    workout over  the 10 min.
 See   next pic  Interval.
 This is a study  form  40 years back, when there was a hype of  HIT  training  and they where looking at the benefit  of HIT versus  LSD  as we do this days.
 It is  an interesting     history.
 The  explanation  , why the last  "interval was possible   was  because it is  " anaerob " alacticid "  . Now  with MOXY  we  believe it is rather  aerob  lacticid.
 At that time the idea was, that if  it would be lacticid   we would fatigue as lactate  is the reason of  fatigue  and a  sudden    bad failure  due to this reactions. Now we  believe  it is  because of lactate   and O2 , that he can mantain the load   and  thanks to respiration in the unloading part , where he  breathes  much more thna in the loading part he can maintain H + over CO2  expiration.  This brings  us to a short   rest  here  with teh question : see last pic.

What is  endurnace   on thsi  2 questions ?

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: col_train.jpg, Views: 22, Size: 64.63 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: IPAHD_USA_smo2.jpg, Views: 21, Size: 72.48 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: usa_smo2.jpg, Views: 21, Size: 69.86 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: carson_micro_smo2.jpg, Views: 18, Size: 75.72 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: carson_microwave.jpg, Views: 22, Size: 55.73 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: Intervall_versions.jpg, Views: 23, Size: 182.98 KB 

Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
I had  some   mails asking   how good we can repeat   information   with MOXY.
  Well first of all it is a " wrong " question.
 The questions is  how good  can we repeat the same effort physiologically   so that we can see the same  or close to the same  moxy data's.
   You can push 400 watt  and than  100 watt  and repeat this many times as a 10 min workout  and you have  absolutely the same wattage if you  do this on a wattage trainer  as a program.
 This is accurate repeating due to the equipment and the cyclist is forced to do it.
 What is not cleat   for most of   coaches  is, whether this is the same physiological   load  or different   every time  I do it in the same workout  or   if I repeat  it the next day.
 This is the  big discussion  , whether wattage is really that great  to control physiological load . We believe  wattage is great  but it would be  even better if   we look at  combining wattage and physiological info.
 Carson sent us a great  workout, where he used  wattage for a  load  and deload workout.
 We look at  the  physiological respond.
  . Interesting will be if   or when he repeats the same workout  the next day   or after a different  recovery situation , whether the same  wattage interval  ends up with the same physiological  load.
 Here   the example   where we can see how incredible the body is  and  a great example here how wattage  and  MOXY work  hand in hand.
 My question now  is: What  info do we get  from wattage alone in this workout  and what info do we get  form MOXY alone  and what , when we combine=. it. ?  What  did hap pend in the body  in this case  and will it be the same next time  or  will  training change the  physi9ologcila respond   at the same wattage  load.
 Here the full workout SmO2   and than the overlap of the 2   10 min  sequences.   For me it is an amazing picture  despite the fact that I see thousands of them  since many years  every time I am amazed  how physiology works .

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: carson_micro_smo2.jpg, Views: 15, Size: 75.72 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: carson_overlap_smo2_micro.jpg, Views: 18, Size: 60.85 KB 

Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Okay , I own  some more information to this great MOXY info we got.
So to have all together 
Pic  one  total SmO2  overview. 
Nice  would be  if   we get the  Wattage  info from that workout including the HR  trends  so we can show  how  , when combining all of this info we dramatically can improve   workout feed backs  and as such  much  better understand  why  some athletes  make  great progress  with the workout  and other athletes  not at all. or even the same athlete    may have to change  some ideas  after a while because or thanks to adaptation. Now  we  where looking at the 2  first loads  of each 10 min duration. 
Pic 2  is  the 2  x 10 min  overlapped    and SmO2

Now  to have  a better inside view we look what  created or caused the low SmO2  . One part is for sure  , high load.  If the load would be so high to push  SmO2  so low, than there is a very small chance  to maintain that over 10 min. So as we see on the SmO2 it   is a very strong load of  15 seconds  followed by a  15 second  " deload"  in  very fast  repetition over  10 min.
 The load and deload  allow  a  short de-oxygenation followed by a re oxygenation. . The respiratory system   has the chance ion the 15 seconds deload  to balance good enough  H + over CO2   to sustain a 10 min  duration.
  Now the question is  what  is happening in the   blood circulation   and the total Hb  as an indirect info  on blood flow. So let's look at the tHb   of the 2  loads
Pic  3
As you can see the tHb is increasing indication and increasing Blood volume. in the tested area.
  There are  different reasons why tHb  can go up.
 In this case we wonder how come  that during a very hard workout the tHb  goes up. Is it an increase in cardiac out put  and therefor  a vascular  reaction  as we  explained   many times on here.
 or  what is it. So lets' instead of speculating on theory look at the  practical feed backs.
 To do this we have to go somewhat closer  to a  load   and deload situation.  So lets look a set of a few  loads  and de loads 
Pic 4

You can see  at the moment for example at the time  510 - 525 a 15 sec   load.  O2Hb   as the info of  oxygenated   Hb  and Mb   is dropping , indicating the use of  O2  and    followed  by an increase of  red  indicating a " reloading of O2.
 Blue as the info on HHb  is doing  logically the opposite  as for each Hb  , who loses  an O2    HHb  will go  by one up to make it very simple ( but it is not  completely true).
 Now  tHb  goes up as we see the load.
    and than drops  at the de load.
 Meaning that the chosen wattage is  so  high , that the muscular compression   is so high  that we start to   reduce  at least or even    stop the outflow  over the venous  system  as a  partial or  complete  occlusion.. So blood flows  in  tHb  goes up  but nothing   or  little goes out.
 Normally in a  "classical " venous occlusion  may would expect  tHb  go sup and so goes  HHb  and O2  Hb  as   nothing goes out  but still O2  is used  so HHb goes up  but more O2  comes in than it is used  so O2Hb goes up as well. Under activity  that high  the utilization of O2 is  higher than the  inflow  so we  will see a drop in O2   but a relative  strong  HHb increase.  Okay lets  make it  even clearer  and s show the difference between a load  , where the wattage is so high , that it creates   an occlusion or   trend towards  occlusion   and a load, where  the compression  is strong but not enough to create an occlusion or close to an occlusion. You  look you think you make  the connection  and you see, why a  certain  combination of   loads  can be very different due to change  or progress or  loss off performance ( strength   circulatory change vascularisation , respiratory integration   vasodilatation and vasoconstriction,  limitation of respiration  ( metaborelfex)   limitation of cardiac   ability  ( loss of motor unit recruitment.
 Sounds  complicated , yes  no ?   but  you are way underway to understand  why we use MOXY   and  best is combined  with  "classical" info   in a center or as coaches, as we than  can identify  what  causes the different reaction and understand the different outcome  despite  same  wattage loads.
 Here the 2 options  heavy load  and easy load

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: carson_micro_smo2.jpg, Views: 18, Size: 75.72 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: aaa_overlap_smo2.jpg, Views: 19, Size: 60.44 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: aaa_thb_overalpp.jpg, Views: 19, Size: 62.26 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: aa_occlusion_close.jpg, Views: 19, Size: 63.67 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: easy_load.jpg, Views: 19, Size: 51.86 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: hard_load.jpg, Views: 18, Size: 48.35 KB 

Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Question I got:
 Do you have a  pic  from SmO2   and tHb  from the whole workout  . Yes  and you  can see, where  tHb  increases  and where it is decreasing a s heavy load versus  an easy load

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: carson_thb_smo2_micro.jpg, Views: 17, Size: 67.86 KB 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net