Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
Stuart percival

Development Team Member
So I raced in Perth on Sunday and put my Moxy on. Im new to the forum and will begin incorporating Moxy into our athlete testing protocols so I am keen to learn ! Here is the 4 hour road race file. I finished 23rd and felt pretty good until the final 20 miles- suffered on the final climb finishing 23rd 1m 49 down. Hope the Garmin file is adequate and stimulates some debate !!

Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 17.48.50.png 
Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 17.49.07.png 

ryinc

Development Team Member
Stuart welcome to the forum. I would suggest putting a csv file with the data up if possible - often the more advanced members will pull some specific insights out if the data. Also might be helpful to mention the muscle Moxy was on.

What i found most interesting is the final climb. Your Smo2 stayed quite flat but tHb seemed to rise a lot. So there was more and more 02 being delivered, but just more and more being used as delivery increased.
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Ryinc  is  already  far ahead of me. Yes we need  your csv  file  to see some  specific  section  of the workout  and    again SmO2  flat  an tHb increase is  fun to watch.
 A  thB increase  could indicate  a lot   but fun here is to see that HR  did not reacted  at all ???
 So  interesting to see   this  connection  between CO  out  put   and  muscle compression  (  do we have  the power out put  over this  section  as well  fun would be to have some feedback on the respiration feeling.
Stuart percival

Development Team Member
Hi Ryinc- I am in Perth until Thursday and only have a Mac so I will no be able to upload CSV- Appreciate this is important but I cannot do it from Garmin connect-Once I am home at PC

I had the Moxy on Right RF- recently tested 2 athletes an Juerg advised RF over VL for 'conditioned' athletes. I would like to think I am 'conditioned' [smile]

Juerg

details of final climb are pictured below- query the W/kg as unsure of BW on day 

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 10.35.34.png 

juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Thanks   and  lets' wait  till we get your  csv  form MOXY  and I   will show  some  additional stuff  from your  VO2  MOXY test   on here without names  but as well some  NIRS feedback  as I am still behind with  work.  Now  question to  all cyclist.  Why   or what happened  to  this rider  based on all the data's we see  which are  veyr impressive. What caused  the performance we see here  and what is  the  result  for  the next  workout  or  the next period  of training based on this data's. including HR. Now how can I use  them now  to understand  what  limited the performance or  why I performed  that  well.
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Thanks   and  lets' wait  till we get your  csv  form MOXY  and I   will show  some  additional stuff  from your  VO2  MOXY test   on here without names  but as well some  NIRS feedback  as I am still behind with  work.  Now  question to  all cyclist.  Why   or what happened  to  this rider  based on all the data's we see  which are  veyr impressive. What caused  the performance we see here  and what is  the  result  for  the next  workout  or  the next period  of training based on this data's. including HR. Now how can I use  them now  to understand  what  limited the performance or  why I performed  that  well

.  now  below  a  short   start  where I  would focus  the  MOXY  /NIRS data  review.

Why what  do this three area s have in common.
his race.jpg

juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Another interesting wattage  comparison.
 Look at  the great  average wattage  and the w/ kg . Now  below  for  readers  not as familiar  with the  average wattage  and w/kg  as a comparison. Thomas  de Gents  data's  up the  Mt. Ventoux  on the tour  de France.

average power.jpg 

Thomas  on this  day  was 68 kg

Stuart percival

Development Team Member
Juerg

i didn't measure RR but I was breathing hard. I was at max effort.

Great you put me alongside TD Ghent for comparison  haha 

I was closer to 72 kg - A mistake!
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
If  you do a VO2  max test   what is  your  VE  at VO2 max  and  what is your  TV  and RF  there ? In a classical idea of  ventilatory threshold ( VT)  by what VE  do you  have your  VT  and  how  after this  is your TV and RF  changing ?
ryinc

Development Team Member
In all three of the circled regions, we see
- steady rise in tHb
- an initial rise in HR but then plateaus (and in some cases even dips)
- Sm02 drops initially but then recovers

So thinking out loud on the options of what is going on to explain tHb - noted that this with caution as i have limited experience in interpretations: Stuart has a great ability to continue to increase SV throughout long and hard loads. Increasing bloodflow, increases pre-load which increases SV further and this does not seem to plateau until late in the load. As a result cardiac output increases even though heart rate plateaus (or perhaps heart rate plateaus because it does not need to increase further because SV is doing the work). Because delivery increases, Sm02 actually recovers slightly.

Even ignoring the wattages, which as you say are impressive, on the physiological profile it looks like a really good performance and a well-balanced athlete to me (demonstrates both strong utilisation and delivery capability).

Stuart hints that he was perhaps at respiratory maximum so that is perhaps what limited performance, although looking at the data to me it looks as though if anything slightly improved utilisation in the latter part of these loads would have slightly improved performance.

On a side note, and if the above interpretation is on the right track, then there are also perhaps strategies that this athlete could use to their advantage in races to beat other athletes with a less balanced physiological profile.

One further side note stuart - have you have power profiled yourself on Coggan's chart (below). If you are willing to share it would be very interesting to hear what shape your profile is - my guess would be generally slightly upward sloping? (i.e. the longer the duration the stronger you are relative to the benchmark watts per kg)

powerprofiling.jpg 

bobbyjobling

Development Team Member
It may mean nothing but one thing I've noticed is the THb trend of maximum and minimum value through the race compared to the start.....THb decreases
Is this indication reduced SV due to dehydration?
ryinc

Development Team Member
Bobby i think this is a good observation. I have seen something similar in long ride files and wondered about the explanation (its hard to see it here though because the first half and second half of the race are on different scales).
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
all great  points  and  as soon we have  the  csv  file  we  can  close in  to some areas, where  the   road may have been going downhill so no  power used   so we have information's in a race  like we  woudl have in a 5/1/5 So Stuart may give us  some pointers, where  he  was just rolling  without motions based on the wattage feedback. This   are  areas in a race,  where you can get more feedback on possible shifts  of limiters  and reason  for the  actual current  graphs. will be fun to see.
Stuart percival

Development Team Member
Thanks so far guys!

Some answers

Juerg: I am unsure of VE/TV and RF @ VT and V02 peak but I will look at my most recent test and then go one better next week and undertake a complete 5 1 5 in the lab with CPET and 3 X Moxy and upload CSV to give everyone 

Ryinc- Thanks for provisional analysis- Seems to make sense in my mind a possible option. With regards PP- I can usually hold 420-425 W ish for 5 min and if BW is c70K then closing in on 6W/kg. FTP would be c325-335 watts

boobby : Regarding dehydration - ambient temp was pretty warm 2nd half of race 19-20 degrees but we started early. We would always look to minimise dehydration even on cold days as we all know (respiration/sweat etc) so we will always finish 'long' events like this somewhat relatively dehydrated even with the perfect nutrition strategy. That said you would not know the ambient conditions and what I did so a good thought! I drank well during the race and because my family came to watch I had feed station support. As I rode tactically well in the 1st half (minimal efforts) I was able to drink carb/elctrolyte mix from the gun and actually ( and very unusually ) needed the toilet midway through the race. It also started at 7am so was pretty cool. Towards the end it did heat up but I felt nutrition was spot on and didn't feel 'dehydrated' albeit I am sure the early effects of some mild dehydration would be setting in?

Stuart percival

Development Team Member
Good idea Jeurg! Yes there were lots of ascents so equally some descents where I stopped all efforts ...apart from concentrating super hard to not crash and stay with the local Australians who had a huge advantage !!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net