Author   Comment  
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
I feel terrible, as this is a  incredible data collection I  forget  to  show  and  just  fell today over  due to a similar  feedback I got  from Europe. This  study was  done  from the   most advanced  outside the BOX   thinking triathlon  group  and coaches in North America. The more  amazing part besides the physiological  thinking  and  training concept  they use is the fact, that they coach  from  top athletes  to  absolute beginners. It is not about  winning there, but about  opening  each  athletes personal  ability based on the  personal  time  availability  and commitment. They  develop  personal bests  with a  perfect combination  of  having fun  and  using  your brain. Seems  to me a winning formula  no matter what.  The Vernon  BC  / Canada  based  Balance point racing.  with Luke  and Dr. A Sellars  running these great group.They have great videos  and very great feed backs on their website.

Here   to not give too much away  but show you some intriguing information on how they use  combination of different physiological data collections    to  optimize their    training stimulation ability.

The Assessment  was done  with a goal to find some  feedback on  metabolic reactions  due to some changes in the  way they like to bike  or not like to bike. So  they  did a  TIP  or    5/1/5.
TIP stands  for  training intensity profile ) 5 1 5 stands  for  5 min go  1 min rest  and repeat  the same 5 min load. Don't  ask me  why 5 min   it has no real  physiological   reason besides  giving somewhat more time  than in classical 3 min test as we  load  10 min same intensity. Why one min rest. well this is the topic  all over the forum.

So here a  first overview. The   big  question  is, whether the  change in  the  idea  for biking will :
 a) influence a local  situation only and therefor  creates a local limitation or  whether may  perhaps  even  shift the limitation to a  systemic problem. in which case  it would be  not optimal  for a  iron man  distance  and  there would have to be  some changes made  to compromise  the  physical advantage  and the physiological disadvantage. Resp  choosing  when to  adapt  to what situation in a race.

So here my  think   steps. check  involved  and non involved  reactions.
Below  biased  leg  VL  reaction  of a  TIP.

bias all leg.jpg

So looked  pretty  " normal "  for a  TIP nicely seen the  repeat of  each step 2  x
So the question here:
 Unseen real  or  unreal seen.
 Now    as mentioned this group  is   full of  thinking ideas.
 The added a  second MOXY on a less or minimal involved  muscle. Delta pars  acormialis.

So below the reaction there.

bias  delat up  donw.jpg 

Woww there was a very clear difference  and at least  clear pattern. The amazing   section is, that in lower intensities the one position clearly created a  higher  desaturation at least  at the  start  and than  always a clear  desaturation  compared to tee second  part. Each double  step  was one  5 min one idea  followed by the second  idea.
 Now  fast  shot  from the hip  would call  for a systemic  change  when in one position  versus a " recovery when in the second position.
BUT    the change could be  exactly that a  only local change  due to the change in cycling ideas.
If this   would be the  case  , than  systemic reactions  like cardiac reaction as one  option or  respiratory reaction as the  other  systemic   options  should show  a reaction  or not.
 So   let's look  at  cardiac  feedback on HR.

HR smo2  all leg.jpg 
I  made some circles  where I did some closer investigations  but really   not too much over interpretation. This could be a  very  normal  picture  with some  signs  of some  cardiac  compensation  over  HR but really in an intensity , where we  would expect to see some   compensation to start anyway. In the lower loads  no  real difference.
 So    possible hint  perhaps  that it is  a  local upper body   trend we see and not a systemic interference.
BUT  as  mentioned  the covered up  that section as well by looking  at respiratory reactions.

RF  and TV.jpg 
So  they where looking  at TV (Tidal volume)  and  RF  (  respiratory  frequency )  and therefor  the  possibility , that  wee may have a  change in the O2  disscurve.
 The same as CO = HR  x  SV  in  respiration  we have VE = RF x TV. Can you see the   similarity  how this  two organs  work.?
This  creates the interesting side  question, that we  have coaches  and exercise physiologists  who all more or less agree, that there  can be a limitation of CO  = HR  x SV  and this  will have a limitation  on  performance.
So  bigger CO  more performance potential ?
 How  come that VE  has no limitation  to performance ?

So  take a   small time  and look  the above graph. Now  changes in O2  disscurve can change  tHb reactions. Change in tHb reaction  can create a changing  cardiac  reaction  and than cardiac reaction  change  respiratory reactions, which than again change   SmO2  and tHb  reactions  and  can end up as a systemic  limitation so  you have to move  available  blood and  O2    form one  body part to another as a last resource. If we see this happen in a  5 min  time frame , than the question is  what happens over a longer time period ?
Here a  closer look at the tHb reactions and  possible  SmO2  consequences.
delat  thb  smo2.jpg 

And  do we see a reaction  as well in the VL. Here a  close look  as usual  at the  recovery section, as this is where we  get the  actual feedback.

closer look  frist ioccl leg.jpg   we have to mention, that the  1 min rest was always done in the exact same position.

Thanks again  for this great  data collection and  an additional outside feedback on how NIRS  can be  smart integrated into  many different ides.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net