Author   Comment  
thigger

Development Team Member
One of my main training partners volunteered to be a Moxy guinea-pig last night so I jumped at the chance. He's another triathlete, less fit but I've always had a suspicion that his physiology was quite similar to mine - we both are 'go out hard and hang on' types who prefer short, hard reps. I think I've much further developed my endurance physiology though (he's relatively new to the sport).

I was quite surprised by his SmO2 reaction at the time (I ran on a treadmill next to him while he did it) but I think I have an interpretation - interested to see what anyone else thinks. He said he's happy to have his data uploaded here.

Moxy 5-1 - 16-11-2015 21-18 - Mattt.jpg 
Apologies for the very zone-based interpretation but as he doesn't have his own Moxy the plan was to give him an idea of HR and power-based training levels (and to give me a new guinea-pig!)

My thoughts - fairly standard start. We started at 45% of predicted FTP and went up 10% each time (he's not done an FTP test so it was a bit of a guess from some race data). This didn't seem enough to 'warm up' as evidenced by the lack of tHB rise, and the second 'alarm phase' on the 55% section. 55% did seem a good warmup though.

65% seemed like a good endurance training level though the drop in SmO2 towards the end interested me; I'd have liked to see that interval go on longer.

75%, 85% and 95% are all into fairly low SmO2s with pronounced tHB rises during the rest (esp 85-95%) suggesting strong vasodilation and that he was approaching his limit.

At the start of 105% I saw new lows for the SmO2 and expected to see it drop further representing a delivery limitation like my own; I was surprised to see it rise! This wasn't associated with a rise in tHB so I started to think of a utilisation limitation - lack of a functioning Krebs cycle - definitely something to work on in terms of mitochondrial density.

The 115% interval I think is the most interesting. Further rises in SmO2 as his VL starts to 'give up' and then a tHB drop which corresponded with him being desperate to 'sit up' on the bike. A really nice example of the respiratory metaboreflex - reflex vasoconstriction in the legs to cope with insufficient blood flow to the respiratory muscles. A respiratory limit perhaps (or overloaded compensator?)

We knew he wouldn't manage much at 125% but he pushed himself really hard; again the tHB is low suggesting blood has been diverted from the VL to supply respiratory muscles and he gave up saying (afterwards!) that he just couldn't breathe enough.

A really interesting example of Moxy feedback I thought!

Playing with some other graphs:

Power SmO2 Moxy 5-1 - 16-11-2015 21-18 - Mattt.jpg 
Nicely demonstrates the 'step change' in SmO2 at different power levels, and the rise at the end!

HR SmO2 Moxy 5-1 - 16-11-2015 21-18 - Mattt.jpg 
Similar but with heart rate. A lot messier due to the slow response.

Raw data attached in case anyone else is interested.

Attached Files
csv Mattt_-_R02_-_Moxy_5-1_-_2015-11-16-09-18-25.3dp.csv (254.53 KB, 13 views)

Ruud_G

Development Team Member
Nice one! Try lagging HR with example ranges from 10-20 secs and you might get a clearer relation with HR
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
You guys  are  great. You know  how much  fun  on here thanks  to you as I suddenly feel  not too crazy  anymore with  what  all goes into this  ideas.
Thanks  and will be back  for sure  with  more  ideas  and  thoughts. Just  short here between patients. Just did a  involved  /involved  assessment with a  younger women    with cancer   who is on a specific  drug  which creates  BP  reactions. We look  how  and why she  has this   incredible big problem  when working out. Will aks here to show  a  great example of  BP  fight in her  non involved muscles  and  by  what intensity she  can do  decent  amount of   activities.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net