Author   Comment  
Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
1.  Individual  10 - 15 min warm up so all team members  will have an optimal   SmO2   start level as well as optimal  blood circulation in the sport specific    use body parts..
 You still do it in a group  but the different steps  and  combinations will be different in intensity and   each athlete  can control himself or the coach over the PC  multi user  view

2.  Intervals   and   speed coordination will be  NOT  planned on  2oo m  or  4oo m  or  1 min or  5 =finger  as an organizational plan  but rather ion the physiological respond  or  idea  of a physiological respond of the coach.
 So instead of running 300 m   and you loose the coordination and proper  muscle chain   training  the last  50 m you go as long you have  an optimal technic   and   go till you reach for example your individual lowest SmO2  value . Resp  you do a MOXY   assessment   and you  take a  movie at the same time   and you look the  optical  loss of  coordination and  combine it with the  physiological information on the MOXY and see, where  it happens  and by what physiological 9nformation.
 Now you plan   one of the three recovery  strategies  and apply the recovery based on SmO2  recovery , rather than on  Time.
. We will have some discussion here, as there are some studies , who show  SmO2  recovery  but   different interpretations  , when looking at SEMG.
 All  without exception of this study  miss one big part of recovery , the balance of   pH   and H +   to  maintain a proper ATP level  and as such we have to  think, that an increase in SmO2  is NOT always a " Positive sign per see, but may in fact show a dysbalance of CO  and as such   a problem  to  extract O2   due to shift of the O2 Diss curve to the left  due to respiratory limitation and hypocapnic breathing.

I just like to   share an email  from an out of the BOX thinking  team coach  from a  big University  here in Canada. And  a tryout  of his   MOXY data collection

At the start of warm up he is about 62. Range varies between athletes. 40-80 is the normal range. We really want to see an increase over periods during the warm up. What this means is that blood flow, carrying O2Hb, perfuse into the tissue. O2 = ATP = Energy. Stuff we have been told before thousands of times but no solid proof. Well your looking at it now. You can see some dramatic drops during the warm up. When I asked him what his reading was he told me 32. So I asked him to lower his intensity and consequently, the increase (line). He really got going again with all the fun games and excitement (even excitement will alter the O2 saturation in tissue a slight amount...hormones!). But earlier I asked him to allow his SmO2 to come up as high as possible. He did a great job listening and following instructions as he gets his levels above 70 just prior to test start (arrows represent start and end of test). One minute of standing preceded the test. His time was around 61s for the first and 64 for the second (to me that used to mean a lot. Now it really only tells me how fast he can run 300 yards. It tells me nothing of what was happening inside his body during that 61 & 64s. It does not tell me what I need to do to make him better either. We typically put him on a training program and then if it works, we credit training plan and if it fails we think maybe he has reached his genetic potential). Now I can see way more.

The slight increase in SmO2 means he could not sustain the pace throughout. Good recovery curve and his SmO2 is slightly higher than base level. 2nd effort is good (but not quite as low as the first). Sustains it well. Recovery is bit rocky. Sorry I cut off most of the recovery. It would have been nice to see.

Now I had the privilege of watching him run his 300 yard shuttle. Not great running form so he burns a lot of energy on wasted movement patterns (inefficient runner). He really started to struggle at the end. Form completely breaking down in only 60s. Significant head tilt, arm cross over, low heal recovery, low knees and not relaxed at all. His breathing was really labored. Now imagine what his trace would look like on say the 3rd 300...yikes. If I had a tHB reading (blood flow), Im sure we would see some good stuff.

Knowing this athlete helps so one of the recommendations for Sawyer would be to repeat this intensity of training 1-2 times per week but without worrying about recovery time or how far he runs. Let SmO2 predict that. So he goes until the lowest reading he can sustain and keeps going until it starts to rise. Maybe vary the recovery period like we would see in a game. He should also work on respiratory training as this will improve his efficiency. Formal sprint training would be a good idea as it will help teach him to be a more efficient runner. Lets see how he looks on the 7 minute course (Gauntlet..ha). Will be really interesting. I may put in a station with some passing. Maybe as part of a recovery period. Or, lets see how accurate and far they can pass when their SmO2 is bottomed out.

For his warm up I just allowed him to join in with the team as they do some fun warmups and we want a fun atmosphere at times. I have always thought the warmups are too intense. I believe they are after looking at the trace. Had I not asked him to ease up, imagine his SmO2 levels. Bit to early to be doing that I think. Especially because we run some pretty intense sessions like today.

If I test one subject and then shut off the sensor and then turn it on again and test, will it record both sessions? Just trying to find a way to test more athletes during practice.

Cheers

Now here  just first the SmO2  information n the  first set field test  : Warm up  and  2  loads.
 Look at it  and give it some thoughts  . In "classical terms.
 We would have a warm up with no idea what happend  and 2  x a load  based on a time  and that's it. Now watch what we  from  just that simple   workouy can  read out  physiologically.   As the "coach"   already asked himself. What  has happend to the blood circulation during this first   idea. ??
 Stay tuned ,  but make your own thoughts  what you would expect perhaps. 

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: SMo2_feild_test_1.jpg, Views: 25, Size: 74.25 KB 

Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
well   here the next level we would look  SmO2 and tHb    but before you combine always  make some  summary on what you think SmO2   may tell you  will do some loud thinking   after that.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: SmO2_and_tHb.jpg, Views: 19, Size: 61.62 KB 

Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Observation.
 Look at thsi 2  assessment.
 Field test 1   and look at this athelets  reaction at the ned of  test 1,  where his tHb  completly  collapses.
  . Now  there was a second test done   and the same situation  again  appears the same  way.
  So we have a clear indication , that something clealy   starts to limit his ability to maintain  delivery  over the blood  supply.
 This is a great example  now to go  further and look what is it.
 a) cardiac
2. respiration
3.  muscle contraction ?
 Once we have this info we can work on this limiter  or the limiter  we believe is the reaosn  of   reduced performance  and than reassess  and see, whether we made a differecne in the outcome.
 A super  simple example  on how MOXY works  for coaches  in practical application.  The beauty here it is not  from us  and this  coach  just used it  the first time  to play with..
Question: What is a time over this disctance telling you :
 What would HR tell you ?
 What would lactate tell you ?
What is SmO2 telling  you ?

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: SmO2_and_tHb.jpg, Views: 9, Size: 61.62 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: test_2_smo2_thb.jpg, Views: 9, Size: 45.61 KB 

Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Here a question to the above  ideas :
  "
Can you make the occlusion call without HHb & O2Hb?
  Answer no   and there are  in deed some special  program we  are working on   to be better.
 For the moment  we  offer  for keen MOXY users on line help  with services over  Switzerland  for test interpretation to help you get up to Parr.
 There are different options  in the works like seminars  workshops  certification    but  for fats users who can't wait it is :
 eukholdings@gmail.com
Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Here the third field test  and   perhaps the coach can tell us  what he did  , where he had the moxy when he played.
 Pic  one SmO2  tHb
Pic 2 O2Hb  and HHb  and tHb   over all
Pic three  closer look at the load  situation.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 3_thb_smo2.jpg, Views: 18, Size: 82.41 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: o2Hb_and_HHb.jpg, Views: 18, Size: 47.57 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: close_3.jpg, Views: 17, Size: 61.74 KB 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net