Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
MetaTrainingSST

Development Team Member

This Test is from a 55 year old veteran cyclist. He is amateur level.
Do you think that the limitation of performance is a problem in the oxidative capacity at the muscular level?
In my opinion, I think that there is no systemic problem because of a low deltoid activity and therefore I think there is a problem at the peripheral level. I believe that it could be a problem in the oxidative capacity due to the high values of SMO2 and the increase of SMO2 throughout the intervals.
But, ¿do you think?

TEST 4-1-4
Increasing 25watts x interval
The initial 5 minutes is calibration
I attach the  graphics in PDF and CSV (peripedal)

MOXY 1 = Deltoid
MOXY 2 = Rect. Fem.
MOXY 3 = Vast. Lat.

Martí

Metatraining Sport Science & Sport

Attached Files
pdf 1. SMO2.pdf (1.63 MB, 9 views)
pdf 2. ThB.pdf (1.47 MB, 3 views)
pdf 3. SMO2 + ThB.pdf (533.25 KB, 4 views)
pdf 4. Heart Rate.pdf (1.20 MB, 0 views)
pdf 5. Oxy.pdf (615.48 KB, 2 views)
pdf 6. Rest.pdf (519.00 KB, 1 views)
csv Moxy 1 Delotides Derecho.csv (327.75 KB, 2 views)
csv Moxy 2 RFD.csv (326.67 KB, 0 views)
csv Moxy 3 VLD.csv (246.46 KB, 0 views)

bjrmd

Development Team Member
A few questions and random thoughts:

Body weight, size, BMI of your subject and relative fat on the deltoid.  Higher fat layer will falsely elevate the O2.
Did you have him raise his arm and see if a desat occurred?  I usually do that, holding a water bottle and the O2 will drop significantly (to 20-30%).  If it does not, the reading may not be valid.  Doing a simple lateral raise with a 10 lb weight should bring it to near 0.
The beginning warm up drop was more than the high power one?  Why?
moxyfor.png 

If the reading is valid, the subject does not desat much at all, and starts from a very high baseline.
Yes, this usually indicates great cardiac output, with minimal need for blood redistribution at high efforts.  He did have a mild drop at the last interval.

On the other hand, it can also mean that he has lower leg strength, fewer type 2 muscles and just can't increase total power enough to show deltoid desaturation.
Is he more an endurance rider than sprinter? 
What is his max peak power in watts?

With aging there is a preferential loss of type 2 fibers, peak strength.  Perhaps, if the above is true, a program of strength training would be helpful.  My friend has a similar pattern (see my blog), great endurance at moderate to high power, but no top end.

MetaTrainingSST

Development Team Member

weigth = 84,1kg; IMC = 24,6; FAT= 16,4%

He is a cyclist of resistance, he could have a very well developed heart (big size) he doing cycling since many years ago.

True, there is a transformation of fibers from type II to type I, but could it be that these Type I fibers were inefficient? The cardiac system sends a lot of oxygen to the muscle and it is unable to consume all the oxygen. There aren't enoughs mitochondrials, enzyms, ..... (structurals adaptations)

A problem of strength?
The other day we spoke with a partner, the concept of force is very complex, what is force? What is a strength deficit?
To begin with, for me there is no resistance (not exist), all are expressions of force (expression of strength = muscle contraction) repeated in time with an external load (load in Kg) + (a load internal = it's the body weight or = 0)

Therefore, a low level of strength? Yes, but it could be due to a low recruitment of muscle fibers (neural) or due to a low amount of mitochondria, oxidative enzymes, etc. (structural). These fibers are not able to consume all the oxygen they receive and this fibers can't produce high amounts of ATP per unit of time

I think this

My approach would be:

I view that the heart send much oxygen to muscle but this muscles cann't use all the oxygen. For this reason, I think that there is a problem peripheral (and not systematic), the limitation is in the muscles (in the oxidative capacity)

There could be 2 problems[frown]1) Structural or (2) neural and as a solution I would make the following:

-(1) Training at low intensity in Zone 1 (ventilatory threshold 1 or below) in order to stimulate the CaMK signaling pathway and produce the adaptations (mitochondrial biogenesis, increase in oxidative capacity, ...) to make the energy Type I fibers are efficient. It isn't iinteresting to use the strenght training to transform type I to type II fibers for a endurance's cyclist (not interesting).

- (2) Strength Training (only develop the system nerveous): Work of maximum force and / or explosive force in order to optimize and improve the recruitment of fibers and their activity.

By the way, I write in my book the idea of the deltoid, this afternoon we have 2 tests and we will try it. Thank you.

This is only my idea, ¿do you think about this?

bjrmd

Development Team Member
I think you are making this much more complicated than it is.

Back to the questions, validation of technique first:
We still don't have confirmation that the O2 on the deltoid is capable of dropping to very low values(<30) with simple arm raising.  I strongly recommend you integrate this in your testing protocol (I always do it just to "mark" the sensor tracing as a deltoid).
Does this fellow have a paucity of sprint strength?  Peak power in watts (1 sec), wingate power average vs MLSS/30 min TT power for instance.  What are his ranges like?
Here is my aggregate best power vs time: br power.png  My 30 sec and 1 min are much better proportionally than average, 5+ min below.
So no fancy testing needed here.

Why the deltoid drop in the beginning easy segment?

Finally, let's look at the system simply.  The locomotor muscles can either have contractile fibers (strength) or mitochondria/capillaries/oxidative machinery packed into a finite volume.  Even with a great cardiac output, if the peak leg strength (3 to 30 sec power for example) is lacking, your client will have issues sprinting, on breakaways and in time trials. 

Last comment, in medicine we have a saying: 70% of the diagnosis is from the history, 20% from the exam and only 10% from the labs/diagnostic studies.  I think the same could apply here sometimes, too much reliance on tech, not enough of history.

Takura

Development Team Member
Sorry if I am wrong but the power target seems to be 4:1 (and not 4:1:4 as stated in the title) and the real power shows that the subject doesn’t rest in the rest phases?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net