Author   Comment  
Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Here an example  from a growing number of  European coaches who are attracted  to at least open the mind  to potential  options  on how to integrate a physiological information into a  very  physical dominated  training  philosophy.
 Enjoy the  discussion between  Andri  and  a great open minded  coach.

Hi  Xyz

I will try to answer your questions, but basically I do thing we as coaches and trainers need to be confronted by Juerg’s point.

1) Can I effectively add this technique ‘’on top of power based training level’ determination so I get even better individualized training zones. So, I test the rider with Moxy (and power) and give feedback on training based on power instead of SmO2.

Yes and no. I personally feel that his does not make sense in general, however it may make sense from a business perspective. The reasoning is simple. Power based training such as FTP uses physiological data to determine its training zones (VO2 and blood lactate). So in essence the rational for training zones should be physiological and we use power in an attempt to reach this physiological understanding. The reason we do not use physiological information and decide to use power (this is actually same with HR), is that it was not feasible to measure and monitor training via vo2 or blood lactate. But, with the moxy this is no longer necessary. Not only that the parameter moxy measures is exactly based on the same physiological logic that blood lactate and vo2 provide. From this point of view using the Moxy to confirm power training is like confirming that the sun is shining outside when you are outside by asking the weather station.

However, the problem with Moxy is that at the moment it may be difficult to find athletes to pay for a unit. Some are very willing some are not (cyclists do spend thousands on bikes and equipment but I regress). Therefore if you as a coach have access to a Moxy you can of course use it to attempt to better assess and athlete, and then correlate physiological data to power data or HR data. You could for example attempt to see if FTP zone called lactate threshold matches changes in oxygenation for example.

2) If yes, what is your estimate of training level adjustment frequency (i.e. how often to retest)

Is the purpose of the training to elicit a structural or functional change? In other words if the goal of the training is to elicit structural change, for example increased vascularization and mitochondrial density we are looking at a minimum 6-8 week time frame. This means testing could take place every 8 weeks to see how progress is going, and make changes if necessary. Of course the more you test, within reason, the better and more efficient you can adapt training plan if improvement is not being made. Functional goals usually go much faster, this includes things like muscular coordination, enzyme work, etc. This is the fact gains people see, often untrained, when they start exercising. Maximizing functionality is certainly a goal prior to races.

3) What is the desired repeated test protocol for this

Important is to make sure the protocol is the same so you can compare. The second important aspect is to make sure that protocols do not dictate physiology, but physiological can dictate itself. For example if we do a traditional 3 minute step test, this time duration for some people in some situation is too short to create a so called steady state, which means we will only see a continuous series of overshoot and get bad data. We recommend a minimum of 5 minute steps (identified by Saltin et al.). We also add in rest intervals to see how the body reacts to sudden stop in muscles activity, and the sudden start again. Our protocol is a 5-1-5 test. It works in using binary steps with 1 minute rest intervals between. Example, we would start with 5m at 80watts, then take a 1m rest, then do again 5m at 80 watts. This unit is one binary step. Then we start the next binary step perhaps at 130w for 5m with 1m rest, and then again 130w for 5m.....and so on. Our assessments usually take 1hour.

4) How about the warranty period

We want to make sure that everyone has a positive Moxy experience, and therefore will always be here for support. The warranty is 2, so you can send the unit back and we will fix it or send a new one.

5) How long does the product last (any estimate??)

Good question, since the product has only been on the market for 1 year it is difficult to say. We have had very little problems so far. Roger may have a better answer for this question.

6) Do you have any world-class athletes currently working with the product or is it still so new that this is ‘’under construction’’

Hope you can reply. After that I wont bother you too much anymore with my questions
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net