Author   Comment  
CX-Steve

Development Team Member
I recently started training with a Moxy 1 and I have noticed that my SMO2, when placed on the mid -quadriceps, starts in the low 50% range, gets as high as the low 60s after warmup, and then will vary significantly during hard cycling workouts and cyclocross races, going as low as zero % (many times). This is with the Moxy set at two samples per second and no smoothing. I am about 6% body fat, so I'm not suspecting adipose tissue affecting the readings.

Is zero percent SMO2 commonly seen during strenuous activities?

thanks,

Steve in California
bobbyjobling

Development Team Member
You need to play with sensor location, for example on my VL I need to move the sensor in towards my RF to get a good dynamic range with minimal zero values. I wish the Moxy had a self or manual adjustment based on adipose tissue depth.
tristan

Development Team Member
Movement of the unit can be an issue if you are simply placing it inside your cycling shorts. Make sure to stick it in place securely with tape if you are not already doing so.

Placement can also be an issue. Try tensing your quads and look where the optodes of the moxy are sitting. Also be careful of placing it too near the ITB. But it sound more like it is moving around.

MoxyPhysiology

Development Team Member
@CX-Steve, both of these responses are very good first steps. Since you are so lean, it's easy for things like connective tissue to change the properties of the tissue being interrogated. For myself, I get a lot of zero readings the closer to the knee or the ITB that I place the sensor. Before affixing the moxy for your workout, place it in a position you think is comfortable, then walk/flex your muscle, you should see a slow but consistent change in SmO2. If you you see drastic changes just by walking or flexing then move the moxy slightly and repeat. The goal, as Tristan and bobbyjobling have stated, is to get a good dynamic range of SmO2 values that don't jump around too much. 
CX-Steve

Development Team Member
Thanks everyone. I will try placement adjustment and taping the sensor+light shield down next workout.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net