Author   Comment  
iank

Development Team Member

Firstly apologies for the data not being in the preferred format, my laptop crashed and I'm still in the process of getting everything put back on, but most of the information is there. 

The session went:

5 mins Calibration 
9 x 5 minute stages followed by 1 minute rest.
The speed of each stage was worked out by stage 6 being 10k pace, and working back in 15 second blocks to stage 1, and the final 3 stages increasing in pace by 10 seconds per km.

Well that was the plan. On the 4th or 5th stage they advised me that their 10k time trial didn't go to plan and they did not think they gave it their all. With this in mind I increased the final 3 paces by 20 seconds per km. 
TIPRS.PNG 

The first 2 stages look like AR, the next 3 STEI, and the final 2 HI, but I'm a little unsure about the other 2? Stage 6 looks like it could be either STEI or FEI, and stage 7 looks like it could be FEI or HI? This is all from VL.

The non-primary data seems a little crazy though, and I'm not too sure what to gain from it?

TIPRSnon.PNG 

Am I reading things correctly?

Thanks!

CraigMahony

Development Team Member
Hi iank

Firstly, with the non-priority muscle, the tHb keeps rising and the SmO2 rises then flattens out until the last 2 stages where there is a slight decrease. It is not possible to see the tHb in the last 2 stages. When the non-priority SmO2 and or tHb start dropping it is an indication that there a Cardiac Limitation at that point as the body is redirecting the blood from non priority to priority muscles. Additionally, during the 1 minute rest, it is typical to see a delay in recovery or even a further drop in SmO2/tHb as blood is being directed to where it is needed more, ie the legs. 

I would not be to worried about whether stages 6/7 is SEI or FEI myself, rather whether it is balanced or not balanced. That might just be me. They are both balanced, so O2 supply is meeting O2 demand. In the last 2 stages O2 supply is not meeting demand. 
ryinc

Development Team Member
Thanks for sharing the data.

Agree with Craig 100% on his zoning comments.

Will be interesting to see the actual data if possible, but from the screen shots, on first glance looks more like a utilisation limiter than a delivery limiter in my view (assuming the Sm02 access on the right is in green?)
iank

Development Team Member
Thanks guys!

The data is below, I'm not sure how much more it will show though... the non-primary tHb doesn't drop at the end, but rather flattens out.

Using BLa data you can give an estimation of marathon pace, are you able to do anything similar with this direct data?

All other things being equal (adequate training/mileage etc), would it be the last balanced stage?

Cheers

Ian

Attached Files
xlsx Running 5-1.xlsx (164.04 KB, 3 views)

CraigMahony

Development Team Member
Yes, I believe the last balanced stage would be where you would want to be for a marathon. Keep in mind that to keep this balanced stage you may need to adjust your pace due to various reasons, ie muscular fatigue, dehydration, blood redistribution to the skin to eliminate body heat, etc.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net