Author   Comment  
Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Here let's start  with the origin of our great data  form a run. I will give  very short feedback's  in red  to each point but we  for sure  will get into more details   below.

My "wish list" for this type of assessment is this:
- good, reliable data
If  we fix MOXY  proper ( no light  interference on the  same leg, when  ever we  repeat  a assessment or during games  +-  equal place, we  have a  very reliable feedback  for  sure in trend information, but when you have 50 data  from the same athletes  over time you even have  actual metric  numbers  you can use.
Remember it is a physiological feedback.
  We   had a few years back a  symposium in Switzerland  with  different researcher  form Europe  discussing test ideas  like lactate VO2  and so on.
 In short the accepted    idea at the end  was:
 We  can  create  5- 10 %  information  with good  accuracy, which is  wattage or performance feedback, room temperature , altitude   situation, humidity and some  more. The rest 90 %  +-  is physiology  where we have no  real control over ,but simply have to hope  we  understand it !!!!!!
- data that is relatively easily interpreted so that it's actionable
I like to :add  and physiological true.
 We  can go back to 220 - age . Easy. We  can get a calculator and make zoning : easy.
 We  can stop thinking now  : easy.  And   we have no
questions left.
very easy.

NIRS in game sport is  possibly even easier.
 You  have  technical  workouts  or interval workouts  with  different goals  and you know   you have 3  - 4  different  strength and weaknesses in your  athletes.
 So  it would make sense  to work on the weakness in  training's  rather than  all do the same.
That is  where MOXY comes n. You may do a  interval but instead all do 5 sets  30 seconds  sprints  or line sprints  you  do 15 - 20 min   interval , where all do interval at the same time  they all start at the same time  but they do individual  numbers of reps , due to individual  time needed  for  recovery. But we will get back to practical workouts  later in preview  as promised.

- time for assessment realistically needs to be 30 minutes max and 15-20 would be better. I have too many athletes to run each one through a true 5-1-5 workout,
Most common question we get.  Now the answer is not a critic  but a  simple personal statement.
If  time is a reason  to miss on proper  assessment results , but I  ask my patients  or  my athletes  for a lot   they have to do over the span of a rehab or training program, than I consider myself in the wrong profession.
 I hate nothing more  than when patients  come in  and  complain , that their family doctor had only 10 min time , due to  too many clients  / patients.
  This  is for me a non issue. If it take so much time  to have  at least tried  my best , than that be it. If it is a  money discussion., than I charge  more if I need time.

No in sport or  with MOXY it is a non issue  as well.
 I  do not see, why a coach has to do the testing anyway.
 You have a protocol, you give a MOXY  and a HR monitor  to the   player  and  he goes  and is doing the  assessment simple and  easy  and he  even can download    the csv file and sent it to you. I actually have  athletes  they even make the  own interpretation and tell where the weakness is  and than we sit down  and he comes  with suggestions.
 We have schools  who test a full team of  16  soccer players in one  single  school hour  session.. We  can go back on this later , it is  a  simple  question of  organization. We  have  teams they  have 6 - 8 MOXY's  and the athlete has the MOXY  as a part of the equipment he is responsible  for it  and he  can use it  any day  for workouts  or  games. You can test 8  on one lap top  all at the same time  and  you can have  in 30 min  as many tested  as you  can organize MOXY's.
 If you use a VO2 test    look at  cost    and time  and value of the feedback.
So  for me    looking as a coach  MOXY is a no brainer really. There are    fitness center   starting to do that  we   people   from the road  who look just for health  and not  for   more but this may be the most important.
 Again no critic  and possibly easy for me  to say, as I work  since so many years  in this  field  that it  comes  easy.

and I question the need to take a soccer player through such a long assessment when a half is 45 minutes long
That is an interesting point.. A physiological assessment looks  for a  physiological limiter  and as  such  we have to  load   or  use a protocol which allows  this  situation to   show up.
 See a  simple answer   what a protocol  because we like to use less time  will give you as a result.'
 1.  step length and lactate. Lactate and step finished.jpg 
 I use a very   simple example, but  you make a  test with 1 , 2, 3  min step lenght    and you choose the 1 min  length  you are much faster finsih  with testing  BUT ?????

Now  here  an example  form the Red Bull (Per research)   High performance  and placementh center. in Santa Monica.
2 test differetn MOXY information.jpg 

Same athlete  same  lengthnt  just different step utilizationan>
 so very different ways  the body will respond.
 If we make it too short  the delivery information will be lost. If  we make  it  too long the Thanlzation situation is    different.
 That's why we have a  TIP / RIP  and SIP  assessment.
 In game sports  we  prefer  for the  season a  RIP  so it takes about  10 min  +-. The  protocol is sport  specific  and even coach specific  .
Thea we  assess duringayer  therng a  game 2 x  45 min and it tells us otherbsp; thehr information   on what  may be the limiter  as well.
 After improveson than we  may make  with some players a 5/1/5  as he has to individual that direction of  delivery  and we need to have  his candvidula intensities    and later whethere assess to see,hehe needssp; improved.

- a non-maximal test so that I can conduct it in-season in which we are rarely training farther away from the next game than match day+4
The in season testing is  super  simple  and no testingsp; gamesing just during. We  assess performanceme  why he  lost maximalace. A  non  will; give test wouldve you a feedback of non maximal performance, why performancebe interested in a non maximal whneormanec  information , thee your  player  fails in duringximal performance indoor a game ?
-
Can't see a problem here  at all. Even here in the north we have an fascility soccer ,cil;Celsiusour  small community  we  run  by a  - 30 whneisu  and  2  ft of new  snow  RIP assessments  thinkver we likenk we will goo run one. In fact  next week I have student running the assessment  for me  and   highlgo though the info.or you may have a  gym  form a school   or a double gym  in a anythingol or  even a   big   shopping mall   or canthing you designedyour   soccerd  withcer specific RIP  dependingthout ball believeing what you are used or like to v you liekto see.
We do travel to warmer weather climates for pre-season training but we don't have time for extensive testing at those sites

Juerg - although I've more than one question regarding what you've written so far, can you comment on the deltoid drop in Sm02 during the last 5 minute step?

Come  with as many questions as possible , as it is  so new  for many open minded  coaches  and readers.
  Here a challange  for  some readers.
 The answer  of Dan's  question is in the last   picture  "Hirarchy  of O2    supply .
Can you  move this explanation in english  and Dan  will have his  answer on the reaction of the delta muscle.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net