Author   Comment  
sund

Development Team Member
I'm still new to all of this, but was watching a webinar on Moxy and one of the suggestions for helping with a delivery limited athlete was to prioritize "oxygenating" training. Can someone explain that a bit. My searches haven't come up with much. 
sund

Development Team Member
Listened to a podcast and Roger said this is a zone where the harder you go, the higher your oxygenation goes. Supply exceeds demand. It's as if you are still warming up. 
CraigMahony

Development Team Member
Sund that is correct. After I had a hip replacement when I got back on my bicycle I found that my Deltoid SmO2 dropped at a fairly low wattage level to redirect blood flow to my legs. My SmO2 in my VL was unaffected until higher intensities. So I only went up to the intensity at which my Deltoid SmO2 dropped when I rode. This was quite low. Over a few months this got higher and higher and now my Deltoid SmO2 level does not drop until I am pushing hard, indicating the blood flow is no longer being redirected from non priority muscles. This presumably means that my delivery capability improved, ie higher capillary density, or possibly Cardiac Output improved such that I was able to supply enough bloodflow to the active muscles without any blood being redirected from non priority.
This intensity is probably similar to the Long Slow Distance method of training with endurance runner. So yes it is a low intensity effort.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net