Author   Comment  
sebo2000

Development Team Member

Pre workout calibration examples, for me it was quite a puzzle initially, so I decided to illustrate one way how it can be done.

As promised earlier, here is pic of last 11 days of my cycling warmups\pre workout calibrations\assessments.

We all warm-up. I was thinking why I don’t use those routines (at list during winter training) to show me how recovered I am from previous day.

Yellow – power
Green – SmO2
Brown - tHb

During last 11 days I used the same power, power values are equal to 1st and 2nd step from my initial 5-1-5 assessment, for “power people” to illustrate the resistance it is 40% and 56% of my 60 min power.

Moxy on right VL (always in the same body spot, I’m using skin mark to stick it in the same place each time)  to be able to spot not only systemic overload, but also localized muscle in question. For systemic only observations, I would place Moxy on non-engaged muscle eg deltoid in cycling. Can’t wait for second Moxy to be able to see the difference in amplitude, especially when harder workouts will start to come. Two Moxy will give ideal view. But with a little bit of time and practice and switching back and forth one Moxy can be easily used.

I’m using wahoo kickr erg trainer, it allows on easy power control, but any trainer can be used. My 11 year old daughter is on simple kinetic kurt and can keep the speed quite well.

Protocol:

1. First seating on the bike with right leg at 5PM 2-3 min, I would love this to be 5 min, but at that time power meter/cadence sensor etc go to sleep and after start, I have some strange results. I’m not moving during this phase, hands on the bars, same position as during last one min rest. Be consistent. We are trying to see the SmO2 and Thb level on this day.
  2. Start pedaling at 40% for 5min
  3. After 5min increasing power to 56%
  4. at the end of 5 min stop and stay for one minute in the same position as # 1

After doing this every day, you will instantaneously see the difference between the days, if there is a difference.

Pic below had to be compress to show 11 days, so the Y axis is compressed, differences are much more pronounced when looking at the full screen

What I’m looking at to determine my current state:

1. Initial tHb\SmO2 level.

2. Drop difference in SmO2\tHb during load increase,eg. SmO2 will be at higher level and drop less when respiratory system is fresh.

3. How deep initial SmO2 drops, also how deep and how fast tHb recovers from initial drop.

4. tHb how “jerky” the line is.

5. To what level SmO2 recovers in final one minute rest? Does it go above initial SmO2 level from step 1?

6. How far tHb bounces up in that final rest minute. (Look at day 6, does not bounce at all…)

I will not explain what each trend could mean, because I would be removing all fun from this.

Best way to learn and understand this deeper:

Recover nicely, and do calibration. Next day have workout stressing eg. cardiac, see how it will change the next day calibration, next stress respiratory system and see how it will change the calibration.

Initially I though wow: this idea is great, but it will change my “planned workouts” it might actually decrease my fitness etc. Then I realized my “planned” workouts were really produce of some total online randomness, I could use 2 dice and produce my plan, and probably expect the same results if not better....[smile]

Having good understanding of how workouts really affect my body brings way more benefits, than following trainerroad workouts.

This is example how it can be done for cycling during winter training, but same routine could be done in many different ways, with different loads, with Moxy in different places, as long as consistence is there, anyone should get very good results.

It could be done for any sport, in sports engaging both upper and lower body like; CX ski, I would be looking for systemic reactions if possible, but if you have “leg day” you could easily assess how well your legs recovered from that leg day, you could go as deep as saying: my arms are way better recovered from my legs.

I would call Moxy holy grail of training, in our cycling club, questions about recovery and intensity are the most common. There is really nothing else out there that could show you as easily your current recovery\fatigue state.

Many people might think: Wow I’m not recovered I need to change training routine, well it is not necessarily the truth, there are cases where you want to train while not recovered, Moxy will allow you to monitor that with really great precision.

To make it as effective as possible, you need to find out what YOUR bio limits are, so you will need to overload yourself once or twice to be able to choose best loads and have injury free training. 

cal.jpg 

juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Sebo  your    second MOXY is  underway  and  please give me a feedback  whether   the software works  as   we can make much bigger pictures  and  I will show you how.  for  calibration  the same as  my athletes  use  and I use often on here often.
sebo2000

Development Team Member
I got email about pic being too small, I think forum resizes it a bit.

Adding link to larger Picture and also combined excel with all screenshots and separated SmO2 and tHb.

Pic
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Sge_uU9AmNMi0yRlAxVEVaaXc/view?usp=sharing

Excel
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Sge_uU9AmNN0dXTGVOOUY1RHM/view?usp=sharing

CraigMahony

Development Team Member
Thanks for sharing sebo.
runner

Development Team Member
What about post-calibration?

Could one use a similar post-calibration to determine
what system was taxed in a training session?
sebo2000

Development Team Member
When I do my intervals,  I usually do them until I see I got enough and further training is not really brining best results. You will see SmO2 dropping when your respiratory system can not longer bring enough oxygen, that is very easy to spot. As well with tHb you will see the trend quickly. If you are looking for systemic overload non engaged muscle is better to monitor.

Here is just unusual sample of intervals at the end of my session, both SmO2 and tHb are way below my initial calibration, I was curios what will happen if I just keep going, to be most effective and still rested next day I should stop at 9th interval max, but I kept going then added another 30min of good tempo, and had to take super easy day next day..., if I would stop at 9th I would have much better session next day.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Sge_uU9AmNeFl1Tk92YkNrNjg/view?usp=sharing

Ruud_G

Development Team Member
In your protocol I miss the words: "same cadence", because this will definitely affect your curves.
sebo2000

Development Team Member
Hi Rruud

Good point, I keep my cadence fairly the same, I think if we keep it within 5-7RMP it is close enough, difference would be visible at +-20RPM for sure.

The biggest negative difference I have seen is related to position change, since it is just beginning of the workout, I'm turning around, garbing towel from the cabinet beside, seating straight on the saddle etc, moving up from the bars on the saddle changes SmO2 quite a lot.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net