Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
sebo2000

Development Team Member

Not a top step, silver but I’m still considering a great success in my new M2 category.

It was cold and rainy day, I would normally not race (at my age I’m fair weather rider, I do not do well in cold) , but I felt good and figured 5 Celcius will not stop me this time. When I arrived on the course it started to rain…, gusts of wind were hitting 40km/h It was bloody cold. Teammates were surprised to see me, they thought I came to watch[smile]

I didn’t have time for warm-up as I arrived late. Place to pick up bib # was about 1km away, I run to get a number and used that as warm-up, run is surly not the smartest warm-up idea for TT race... When I was driving in the car I had good 25-30min hypoventilation session. I knew, I will not have a time for warm-up so this was best I could do to start my engine, I found it quite effective. (Besides 3 espressos[smile]

Everyone was in long bibs, long sleeves, hats etc. I was so pumped up I only put skin suit on (totally not me, I would have 3 layers at list) I came to the start line 5 seconds before the my start, I lost few seconds on the start, but went off like a bullet.

I had Moxy on Deltoid and VL, that’s pretty much all I look at during racing, I started hard and was surprised my VL SMo2 didn’t drop much, it dropped from 80% to 50% (I would expect 20-30%), I was not concerned about VL, because Deltoid tells always much more, and allows to be “on the edge”

I was feeling awesome, I was going hard, but I saw my Deltoid Smo2 dropping very quickly, in 3 minutes it was at 40% that means I will be dead soon..., another minute and I hit 35% which is as low as I have been in entire season, at that point I thought race will be over in few seconds I will be gasping for air, I was a bit upset I went off that hard without proper warm-up,

I decided to easy up a bit before it will be too late, I dropped power quite a lot to about 250w and kept soft pedaling, I said to myself; I will ride at that power for a minute to see what will happen, in the next minute my Smo2 bounced back and I felt super good, I decided to catch the guy in front of me. Full gas, and I got him by the time we had to turn back, that means I gained 1 min.

What is most interesting: after initial system catch up\start, no matter how hard I was pedaling my Smo2 on both deltoid and VL were quite solid and relatively flat at the same level. I was going all out, but Smo2 was stable. It felt I have unlimited oxygen, I felt my muscles are not strong enough, but my oxygen supplies are unlimited, amazing feeling, because at super hard efforts it was always opposite. I guess it is time to start on growing some muscles, as my respiratory training paid off.

Moxy gave me confidence to go full gas without any worries I might choke in the process, it felt I have oxygen tank on my back

I selected in red circle initial deltoid SmO2 drop, then very flat Smo2

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Sge_uU9AmNLUpESnZGNGItcDA/view?usp=sharing

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTwyDXpDlM1

ryinc

Development Team Member
Well done Sebo really inspiring stuff.
ryinc

Development Team Member
Sebo out of interest, if you willing to share what did the power metrics look like here. In particular how might they have been different in old pacing strategy e.g. riding right at threahold power with really low variability.
bobbyjobling

Development Team Member
Excellent Sebo [thumb]  it made me smile whilst reading your mini race blog.  I'm now stalking you on Instagram [smile] 

Just wondering too if the big dip in SmO2 in the deltoid was due to insufficient "warmup"
CraigMahony

Development Team Member
Great work Sebo. Thanks for the race report. It is always interesting to hear what you have been doing with moxy.
sebo2000

Development Team Member
Thanks guys,

Ryan I'm attaching power data, This was my first TT with Moxy so nothing really to compare with, I have few more TTs later on i nthe season.

This was not typical smooth TT, few hills and wind made it hard to pace this in a stable way. On return, we had back wind and that is where I lost the first place, when I looked at strava results of the winner he got me in last 5-6km, we were flying and I was a bit scared of speed, if that would be upwind or uphill I would get first place for sure.

I think without Moxy I would stay conservative and paced 10-15w less, but when I saw my deltoid smo2 not going down I went all out, without Moxy I would keep the reserve.

I see big, huge difference this road season as well: Last year I was missing legs in last 500m sprint, I have many videos where I get smoked in final sprint, it looks like I'm standing still and everyone goes, I had dead legs at the end last year.

This season I have legs and lungs, everything I need from the fitness side, but I just found out about another limiter: technical abilities to get on the right wheel. [smile] 

Since this is new group of people it takes a while to learn who is who. People comment: wow it was hard etc. I honestly don't feel it fitness hard, but always miss the "right" guy during attacks or go after the "wrong" guy. All that with at list 30% less training time.

I think the dip was because of no warm-up, I will try to make it on time next time and get proper warm-up before the start [smile]

Attached Files
csv iTTOcup1M2.csv (323.99 KB, 8 views)

runner

Development Team Member
> my respiratory training paid off

What was your respiratory training?
sebo2000

Development Team Member

Mixed bag of different exercises/tools, to address my weak points:

-       Increasing CO2 tolerance

-       Learning proper diaphragm breathing technique.

-       Increasing strength of muscle of respiration (inspiration and expiration)

-       Adjusting my legs and system to work well under low O2

mary ann

Development Team Member
Fun read :-).  Is the hypoventilation warm up described something you always include in your warm up - whether when driving or during the line up/pre race?  25-30 m is a good length of time. Is this what you do during your training? Thanks for sharing!

runner

Development Team Member
Does hypoventilation have an effect on endurance athletes?

According to Wikipedia (yes, not the most authoritative source)
it doesn't have effect on endurance athletes. Most of the research has
been done on swimmers.

Edited:

The following source claims that hypoventilation training
doesn't have an effect on endurance athletes:
http://www.hypoventilation-training.com/FAQ%20english.html
It looks like that an effort length has to be less than 10 minutes.

But these things are subjective as Sebo reports good results with it.
sebo2000

Development Team Member
Hi Mary,

I do not use hypoventilation for warm-ups generally, but use it quite often during training and during my daily walks. 

Runner I'm not going to comment on others research and how it was done to many variables.

Here are my observations:

When I'm in rested not warm-up state, I will take 2-3 slow deep breaths and start to walk (without breathing) I can walk for about 30 seconds first time, then few more breaths, and each time I do this I extend time of walk for few second, after about 10-15 minutes I can easily walk for 90 seconds without breathing. (I know this might sounds like apnea training not hypoventilation, but it is to illustrate the difference before/after)

I did measure my SpO2 during those exercises and it drops below 90 about 87-89% it means I'm shifting my hemoglobin curve to the right and my oxygen affinity increases.

I do this explicitly to help with first few minutes of my effort (additional stimulus to my espresso shoot[smile] start at 400-450W watts is demanding, once I lower the power to 300W I think it does not matter/help much, but during initial 2-3 minutes after start when system is not working yet at full capacity I feel I have extra time at higher power.

When I have a time I will make following experiment:

Start at high power with and without prior hypoventilation and see the difference in SmO2 readings.

ryinc

Development Team Member
Sebo, one comment. You noted that the hypoventilation reduces Spo2 and shifts dissociation curve to the right. Note that a right shift reduces oxygen affinity and not increases it as per your post above.

So is the improved performance due to lower oxygen affinity from the right curve shift or is it that after the hypoventilation the curve normalises and actually "overshoots" and sm02 baseline and/or o2 affinity increases

Im interested to see the experiment. Perhaps you should make it a puzzle [wink]
sebo2000

Development Team Member
Ryan correct CO2 decreases oxygen affinity.

What I meant was increased CO2 will cause Bohr effect.

The Bohr effect enables the body to adapt to changing conditions and makes it possible to supply extra oxygen to tissues that need it the most. For example, when muscles are undergoing strenuous activity, they require large amounts of oxygen to conduct cellular respiration, which generates CO2 (and therefore HCO3 and H+) as byproducts. These waste products lower the pH of the blood, which increases oxygen delivery to the active muscles. Carbon dioxide is not the only molecule that can trigger the Bohr effect. If muscle cells aren't receiving enough oxygen for cellular respiration, they resort to lactic acid fermentation, which releases lactic acid as a byproduct. This increases the acidity of the blood far more than CO2 alone, which reflects the cells' even greater need for oxygen. In fact, under anaerobic conditions, muscles generate lactic acid so quickly that pH of the blood passing through the muscles will drop to around 7.2, which causes haemoglobin to begin releasing roughly 10% more oxygen.[2]
runner

Development Team Member
How long before the start of the race you do this "warm-up"?
Is it in conjunction with a regular warm-up?
sebo2000

Development Team Member
Hi Guys,

Another update: this time top step, I did everything exactly as last time, course suited me more as we didn't have massive downhills, but consistent cross winds both ways, so hard work all the way with manageable speeds:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVOIcIbDfDb

My breathing session started in the car about 1 hour and 15 min before the race start, again I didn't have any riding warm-up, just ride off the saddle to the start line which was only 1km away, my HR moved only to 130bpm during that short warm-up ride.

I have this feeling that my "breathing warm-up" gets me ready 100% for the actual race.

Moxy on right VL and left Deltoid, pacing purely on SmO2 from Deltoid. Initial SmO2 dip, but this time I was not afraid, just kept going hard.

What is interesting: I mentioned this in the post about accuracy. Look at deltoid tHb on the way back, increased and stayed there. Sun was on the left side (on the same side as Moxy on deltoid) on the way back so I'm suspecting sun could interfere with tHb despite Moxy beeing covered with black plastic.
What puzzles me is why we do not see similar increase in SmO2?
How is this possible that only tHb increases due to dun not Smo2?

VL:

VL.JPG 

Deltoid:

Delt.JPG 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net