Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
MetaTrainingSST

Development Team Member

We all know that with the 5-1-5 test we can see performance limitations, but I would like to know your opinion on the following question

- We perform a 515 test on a bicycle, we find the performance limits. Will these performance limitations be the same for running?
Before someone says it, if it's a muscle coordination limitation or technique, it will be different.
I mean that if an athlete has a limitation in the oxidative capacity of the muscle, that is, it has a small amount of mitochondria, mitochondrial enzymes, an underdeveloped aerobic energy system. This will be as much for cycling as for running not?
¿Which are your opinions?

Martí

Metatraining Sport Science & Technology

Roger

If the other sport uses a significantly different mass of muscle, the limiter could change.  A cross country skier using both arms and both legs might be delivery limited while skiing, but become utilization limited while biking using mainly the legs.

CraigMahony

Development Team Member
Yes I have used moxy on runners and it works well. The main thing I found that was different was that when running slowly in the early stages, the longer ground contact times sometimes caused greater muscle compression leading to a reduced venous and possibly arterial flow. This affected HHb and SmO2 levels. 
MetaTrainingSST

Development Team Member

Thank you very much Roger & CraigMahony

CraigMahony, I understand

In reference to the general conclusions, (only between a test in runners and a test in cyclists), the performance limitations are practically similar? Have you checked it?

Martí,

Metatraining Sport Science & Technology

bobbyjobling

Development Team Member
This article might be of interest https://www.outsideonline.com/2301366/training-makes-runners-more-efficient-not-cyclists

But not sure if limiter is interchangeable.
Takura

Development Team Member
Before comparing even with a different sport like running: how “valid” is the limiter observed in a cycling 5-1-5 for different cycling disciplines from track sprints to stage races? Wouldn’t the differences yield different limiters even within cycling?
CraigMahony

Development Team Member
I think the performance limitations in running are often similar, ie cardiac output, delivery, lack of O2 saturation in some cases, respiratory. The main difference that I find between cycling and running is that cycling requires more leg strength. I believe leg strength is more likely to be a limiter in cycling than running unless you are trail runner who runs up and down steep hills.
AED

Development Team Member
It is important to notice, that runners are good at "switching muscles/technique": when upper leg gets tired they can temporarily switch to lower leg to recover upper leg.
So it is not so easy to analyse the data and 2nd MOXY here should be very valuable.

Another problem with runners is pacing on a treadmill:
1. I still did not found a perfect way to check the speed of the treadmill.
2. Even on the wide treadmills running technique is a bit different from the real world.

2018-06-26_222622.png 

MetaTrainingSST

Development Team Member

Very interesting, how do you observe it? With an analysis in the VL-RF- Hamstrings - Twins ??

I have sent a private message to you

Martí

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net