Author   Comment  
Andy

Development Team Member
On 8/26 I went on 45 mile ride but was unable to get the devices to link up.  I suspect the watch battery was weak because when I turned it "on" the watch face would dim.  I didn't have time to change the battery so I didn't get any data that ride.

On 8/30 I tried it again just for kicks and it seemed to be working fine.  I was again under time pressure and only had the monitor without of light shield.  It was sunny and I think that explains the noisy data for the first 2/3rds of the ride.  The latter part of the ride was with the sun at my back and the signal quieted down.  However, data collection did not remain active for the whole ride.  Collection ceased about 1/2 hour before I finished the ride.  Monitor was on right outside quad.

I have changed the battery in the watch today and will be doing another long ride.  We'll see how it goes.

http://app.strava.com/rides/20301986

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 2012-08-30.JPG, Views: 24, Size: 94.40 KB 

Attached Files
csv 2012-08-30.csv (83.89 KB, 13 views)

Andy

Development Team Member
I looked at the data from this ride (8/30) a little closer.  The dataset contained more data than made sense for my 1.5 hour ride.  It contained several datasets.  I think they were from my previous attempts to connect to a watch with a weak battery (8/26).

On the surface to me, it looks like it may be possible for the monitor to record data even when the watch says "off". ??

Anyway, here is the data from my ride that day with the extra truncated off.  The monitor missed quite a few data points early in the ride, but seemed to recover.  Note that for the latter part of the ride, the watch said "off", but the monitor seemed to still collect the data.  Which is good?

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 2012-08-30-reviesd.JPG, Views: 19, Size: 113.89 KB 

Larry Flessland

Fortiori Design LLC

Once the watch and sensor are connected you really don’t need the watch anymore except to monitor the sensor and make sure you are still getting a reading.  It is useful to inform the user in case the sensor has shifted or is blocked for some reason.  But the sensor will continue to collect data once connected even if the watch loses connection.  It is intended to work this way so if the watch connection is lost, you can continue the workout without interruption and look at the data afterwards.  Or maybe you prefer not to wear the watch at all during workout because it gets in the way but you want the data.

When you first turn on the sensor, the LED will flash once per second.  Once connected, the LED will be on continuously until the sensor is turned off.  Data is being collected on the sensor when the LED is on steadily.

Just turning off the watch will not stop the sensor.  You need to also turn off the switch on the sensor when done with the workout.

Only valid SmO2 data is stored.  If the sensor is off muscle or blocked, data will not be recorded.  You will see this when retrieving data and there are gaps.  Valid data is stored every two seconds.

Andy

Development Team Member
Cool.  It all makes sense now.  I like how it keeps recording data even if the connection is lost.

Thanks for the explanation!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net