Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Paulius

Development Team Member

Hello,

I would like to ask, how to know the amount of oxygen that was saturated to the muscle?

I know that SmO2 average shows the average percentage of oxygen that is connected to hemoglobin.

I know that THb is a total amount of hemoglobin that is used for a monitoring.

I know how to calculate oxyhemoglobin and deoxyhemoglobin, but it is my first time when I am working with Moxy monitor and I don't really know which number shows or how to calculate amount of oxygen that was saturated to the muscle.

I know that You guys know it and I hope that You will help me.

Thank You!

CraigMahony

Development Team Member
Hi Paulius

By 'saturated to the muscle' do you mean the myoglobin saturation in the muscle? You can only determine total saturation, ie myoglobin in the muscle and hemoglobin in the blood vessels. I do not believe it is possible to determine using a moxy only how much myoglobin is saturated.
Paulius

Development Team Member

I have data from Moxy: SmO2 average; THb and I know how to calculate oxyhemoglobin and deoxyhemoglobin, but somehow I need to show amount of oxygen that was saturated to the muscle.

I don't really know something about how this works, but I am trying to find out, because one scientist said that I can show that from Moxy data, but didn't say how.

bobbyjobling

Development Team Member
No, Moxy is not able to tell you directly how much oxygen the muscle is using per watts, it just gives you and indication of possible oxygen availability to the muscle at a particular time in the load. By doing various load/rest tests more information can be ascertained about how the delivery of oxygen (blood flow) is “made” .
bobbyjobling

Development Team Member
Well maybe my "No" in my answer to your question was bit premature.

I suppose if you could cut blood flow to the muscle (artireal & venous occlusion) and measure the rate of oxygen depletion with no load on the muscle using the MOXY and then do the same test whilst the muscle is under a known constant load, you could then make an assumption on muscle oxygen usage versus load.
Takura

Development Team Member
Re “how much oxygen the muscle is using”, I remember that in my early testing with Moxy sensors, I think I noticed less SmO2 percentage “downstream” in the same muscle at constant load.

Does anybody know whether that is a real phenomenon? Is there any chance that this could be used to infer the amount of oxygen consumed in the particular muscle?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net