Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Takura

Development Team Member

Thanks for all the feedback.

Had not thought about this in terms of dysharmony, dysbalance and muscle sling/chain. I had also not looked at the medial/lateral parts of the calf muscles in separate yet. Lots of things to think about and to experiment...

As Sebo has picked up on the Skulpt, I am thinking I should may be share a bit more information on that as well. This is what Skulpt says on their website: "Muscle Quality (MQ) is a measure of your muscles' strength relative to its size. Skulpt uses Composition Myography (CM) technology to send a small current directly through your muscles. Since the current flows differently in muscles based on their composition and muscle fiber size, Skulpt analyzes the flow of the current and evaluates the quality of your muscles. The muscle quality scale runs from 0 to 100, with the average being around 50. Higher Muscle Quality scores correlate with stronger, leaner, more fit muscles." It also seems more or less established that weight training can improve this score.

On their blog, their is one anecdotal report of a cyclist about using MQ score for targetted weight training in order to improve cycling performance. http://blog.skulpt.me/skulpt/andrea-beat-personal-cycling-records-improving-mq-scores/

And here is what the Muscle Quality measurement looks like for me: 

skulpt.jpg
Combining this with the fact that the calves are pretty much the only location where I get cramps, it seemed somewhat natural to think that local strength training and improvement of muscle usage could address this better than nutrition. (If the location of the cramps was more random I'd favour nutrition as a possible solution.)

A statistical comparison with all Pioneer power meter users on their cyclo-sphere site shows that my average pedaling efficiency of 67% is in the top 1% in my age group - which could indicate that my pedaling is overly "round" - and asking a lot and eventually too much from smaller muscles like the calves. (Note though that "top 1%" doesn't "have" to mean much as that's also influenced by the kind of training and cycling you do and not a comparison of cycling under similar conditions.)     

FullSizeRender.jpg  

As mentioned in my last other post, when looking at time sequence data, I switch frequently and more or less automatically (almost unconsciously) between a very round and a less round pedaling technique. (Note that the efficiency in the following graph is Garmin's tangential-only metric which is higher and different from Pioneer's metric that incorporates tangential and radial components.) 
pedaling.jpg
Might this also explain why the calves are less trained, i.e. may be this usage might keep them from getting the needed stimulus? And what should I make of this switching, keep it or correct it?

Regardless of whether I keep switching between two pedaling styles or attempt to find one style that I can continue, it's probably somewhere in between the round and the less round pedaling and my plan is to tune that using the Pioneer pedaling monitor to watch the force vectors on the input side and the Moxy on calves and, say, VLs on the output side. Agree that consciously tweaking pedaling style might be difficult and that changing pedaling through bike fitting (not only position but maybe also crank length) might be easier to do.

Concerning BSX ... I have made some progress in FTP calculated from power data over the last year but not in the LT reported from the BSX, so I "hope" that strength training my calves might do the trick to get better LT results from the BSX.  ;-)

juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Great feedback   Takura  .
 I like to leave  the discussion on this  topic  for  the cycling community  and like to  just  get some feedback   to the  cross country ski  community which starts to engage more and more in the  idea  of physiological guided  feedback.
 A main reason may be, that they are not infiltrated  with power feedback datas  as this is not   available on  snow . I will start a separate   section ion the cross country options
sebo2000

Development Team Member
Hi Takura,

First I want to say you have ruined my weekend [smile] I was not suspecting one can have such a well balanced muscles. To me this is really amazing.

On the second note, you also have made my weekend, because I now know it is possible to achieve this, I have a long way to go for sure [smile]

Thanks for sharing your data, eye opener for sure.

Sebastian

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net