Author   Comment  
Jay

Development Team Member
Hi

I want to use the Moxy sensor for some research and was wondering what software you are using?

The Moxy PC app is fine for resting measures etc, but when I want to run exercise protocols such as repeated sprints it is difficult because I want to identify the exact point the sprint begins and ends.

I have tried using the Peripedal software, but I have just discovered that it does not have access to the 'live' data broadcast by the sensor, which is no good.

I appreciate there is always the old fashioned time coding method (i.e. write time of event down manually) but I thought I would see if there any solutions on here first before I start.

Regards
Jay
Roger

Hi Jay,

The Moxy can be set to send the Live Data (i.e. unsmoothed) over the ANT+ channel by going into the Moxy PC App and setting the update rate to "No Smooth".

Then you can turn off the chart smoothing in PeriPedal in the Settings section so it would show the live data.

The default setting sends out the rolling average of the previous 5 readings.

Here's a detailed description of the update rate modes.

pdf Moxy Update Rate.pdf     

Roger

Jay

Development Team Member
Thanks Roger,

Will this also work in "Fast" mode?

Also, the output from Peripedal expresses one data point per second, whereas the Moxy update rates are either 0.5Hz or 2Hz.

I have used the csv. converter but my data still seems to be incorrect. Please can you help?!

Apologies for sounding dense!

Thanks
Jay
Roger

Hi Jay,

This does get complicated and you get a slightly different result for each of 3 ways of getting to a .csv file.

The three ways I'm referring to are:
1) Download the data from the Moxy Sensor
2) Use the History Tab in PeriPedal to export a .csv file
3) Use the .PeriPedal converter spreadsheet to convert a .peripedal file to .csv.

The .csv downloaded from the Moxy sensor will have one row of data for every valid reading.  So if you are doing 2 second updates there will be a row of data every 2 seconds.  If you take the sensor off of the tissue for 10 seconds so that the readings are invalid there will be a 10 second difference in the time stamps for the last valid reading before you took it off tissue and the first valid reading after you put it back on.  If you use the fast mode, you will get data every 0.5 seconds (Note however that the time stamp column only shows integer seconds so every 2 rows will have the same time stamp when using the Fast Update mode.  You would need to write a forumula in the excel spreadsheet if you wanted to make a graph of a very short duration look like it is supposed to)

The .csv exported from the History view in PeriPedal will have a row of data every 1 second that the workout was running.  If the Moxy data was invalid or the ANT+ radio got out of range, it will fill in 0's for the Moxy data.  Since the Moxy only updates every 2 seconds in the default and No Smooth mode, you will see that every Moxy data point is repeated in the 1 second rows.  In the Fast Mode, this file will only have every other data point that was actually calculated and stored on the Moxy.

The .csv created by the .Peripedal converter resamples the .peripedal data at a rate indicated in the spreadsheet.  The default is 2 seconds, but you can set it to what you want.  It creates a column of time stamps exactly based on the time increment value and then finds the closest values in time from the .peripedal data.  The .peripedal data is only recorded at a 1 second interval so setting the time increment in the converter smaller still only yields new data every 1 second even if the Moxy is in Fast Mode.

The attached .csv files are all from the same 1 minute of measurement but come from the methods described above with the sensor set to the Fast Update Mode.  The 2 converter files were resampled with a time increment of 2.0 and 0.5 seconds to show the 1 second limitation of the .peripedal file.

csv MoxySensor.csv     
csv PeriPedalHistory.csv     
csv PeriPedalConverter_2_0sec.csv     
csv PeriPedalConverter_0_5sec.csv     

Jay

Development Team Member
Hi Roger,

Just to clarify, if I want to update every 0.5 seconds I am limited by the 1 second intervals the .peripedal data is recorded in and therefore I would have to download the data via the Moxy sensor to get the most accurate data?

The reason I ask is that the facility to start and stop recording remotely via the Peripedal software is very practical from a research perspective.

Thanks again,
Jay

Roger

Hi Jay,

Yes, the Peripedal software is limited to 1 second update rate.

I don't know of any other consumer software that will collect data faster.

Roger
Marcel

Development Team Member
Hi Jay,

another option is IpBike which is an Android app, I am not sure what the update frequency is for the app but you have a very mobile live reading, live view with graph and can add laps, the data can be downloaded later to several file formats including .CSV format.

M
Roger

When I tested IpBike, it was also limited to 1 second update rate.
leviz

Development Team Member
What is the difference between the Resampled, PeriPedal, Filled, and actual Moxy data in the converter file?  Thanks!

Levi
Roger

Hi Levi

Sorry I missed your post here.

I assume that you are referring to the PeriPedal CSV Converter Spreadsheet.  We haven't used that since PeriPedal added the ability to export their data to a csv format in the history section of the software.

The different tabs are just stages in converting from the .peripedal format to a .csv file that has a similar format to the .csv file downloaded from the sensor.  It's all the same data, but Peripedal uses a different way of timing the data that needs to be adjusted to match the Moxy format.

Roger
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net