Author   Comment  
Marcel

Development Team Member
Hello all, attached are two tests that I had done with a team mate. I have written my own interpretation of the results so if I have interpreted it wrong then please give your opinion.

First actually a question to Roger, I had used the power save mode on the Moxy, after 10 minutes I had a lot of bad data on the tHb reading (see below). Any thoughts what causes this. I dont seem to get it when the Moxy is in Default mode.

Alex run.jpg  So is treadmill test. Leg mount. Young athlete who has a max HR of over 200 BPM. 
Below is from the same test of SmO2 but with heart rate included no tHB as it was a bit messy. In blocks is Lactate, SpO2 and average THB at end of each step. At the end of the Double step test I tried a few things at a incline of 4.5% to see if it would change SmO2.

Alex.jpg
Heart rate and SmO2 stays stable in the first 6 steps, Step 7 lactate makes a big jump and there is a downward trend in SmO2. (A few questionable Lactate values though). SpO2 is always high which I interpret as either the athlete is not extracting the Oxygen from the blood or he is getting plenty of Oxygen into the blood from the lungs. A bit hard to see on the THB but if you look at the average trend then it looks stable and there is a increase in blood volume which makes me think there is no pump limitation. SmO2 is being extracted down to around 40%. Even when the incline was increased the SmO2 did not really drop. Too me it looks like it could be a muscular limitation of some sort. The Oxygen is there and available but the muscle is not using it. Some sort of limitation is kicking in around a heart rate of 140-160 on step 7 which is indicated by the Lactate also.

Below a second test same athlete but this time on Rollerskis, leg mount again. Outside, I was not there to see what the athlete was doing so the loop times went a bit crazy. He was suppose to do a double step of the same time before going faster but he struggled to pace himself. As this was a field test the first loops are going to be slow and the later ones much faster. 

Alex Skate.jpg  The first 4 steps SmO2 stays stable then a very fast loop time on the 5th where SmO2 has a steady decline. Somewhere between loop 4 and 5 the first limitation occurs. He was able to desaturate much lower than the treadmill test as there was a higher muscular involment but he had to push his body to a heart rate of nearly 190 to get it down to 20% where it flat lines. Again the question of SmO2 being relatively high for a trained athlete. Which I interpret as some sort of muscular limitation. tHB is able to increase when needed to supply the muscle with the needed blood so I don't think there is a cardiac limitation, if I was to take the SpO2 data from the treadmill then I would think there is also not much of a respiratory limitation.

Any other thoughts?

Below the CSV files. 

Attached Files
csv 15_juli_14kate_alex_s.csv (77.85 KB, 15 views)
csv 13_july_14_alex_run_fact.csv (76.23 KB, 12 views)
csv IpBike_27_1.csv (525.10 KB, 12 views)

Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Marcel,
 woww thanks so much ,
 that is exactly what we need in the case study ideas now as we have more and more people using moxy. I will take all your csv files  and move the test to the case studies  and show you may take, which does not mean my take is the truth. I t may be   same as your which would be  great but as well any discussion is even better as there are  so many options still out there.
 Give me some  time over the next few days  and I will go step by step through.
 Did you used a  peripedal  when you had the HR.  or  can I get the HR  on an excel  sheet as well ?

Thanks again  for the open information. We all struggle to show  our weaknesses  and that's why we  have a limited  feedback from MOXY users  out there  many cook in their own kitchen  and  do not share  at all.
 We only learn  form different opinions  as we go along.
 Cheers Juerg
Marcel

Development Team Member
Juerg, in the first post is a csv attachment called Ipbike. This holds the oxygenation and HR data of the treadmill test. This was from a android app called Ipbike which does a live display of oxygenation and will diplay any Ant+ device data including heart rate. Somewhere on the forum there was a short post about it. In the CSV file there is a loads of columns which contain blank data of gps power speed etc. Just delete these and you'll be left with time, HR, SmO2 and tHB.

For the field test I did not have my phone running to record the oxygenation and Heart rate in one file. 
Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Marcel , thanks.
 I will use the csv  and just look as if  I have no information than the csv files first. Meaning I like to show  that coaches  and athletes out there  can get a lot  information in  from just that simple tool  during workouts  and for assessments. I will discuss it on the case study section step by step.
 Here to get  it going just the smo2 thb run.jpg  overall view  of the  actual running test.

Roger

Hi Marcel,

The THb and the SmO2 readings will be more noisy in the power saving mode.  We blink the LEDs fewer times in order to save power.  This gives us less data to average to smooth out any noise.

You should be able to compensate by doing some post smoothing on the THb graph.

In Excel you can right click on the THb line then select Add Trendline.  Then select the Moving Average button and use the arrow buttons to increase the smoothing until you get rid of the noise, but still keep the important features.

You can change the properties on the original THb line to have "No Line" and change the properties of the trendline to be brown so the graph matches our color standard

Roger
Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Here is another overall view  ( option to see tHb ( blood flow / volume trend (Polynominal )
This is teh same  grpah  with tHb poly .
run thb poly smo2.jpg

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net