Author   Comment  
Roger

Here is another 515 Test result from an athlete at Chris Balser's studio.

The question here is about the low SmO2 values fairly early in the test especially on the left VL.  Is it possible that position on the bike may be contributing to breathing issues in this case?

SmO2.jpg  THb.jpg 

xlsx SC Data.xlsx     

juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
First  question  before we look at potential physiological  reactions would be actual  muscle involvement (  true it is physiological  as well.
 So here  test   power on individual  left and right leg.
 2  Use a SEMG  to see   recruitment pattern
 3. Was eh   a history of a   injury on his  right leg.
4.  does he has  low  back problem ?
5. Is there a leg length difference  functionally or structurally ?
6. Does he has a scoliosis
7. Did  he had  an injury in his left  arm.
8. Blood flow restriction in his hip  groin area as a common  reason of  similar pictures.
Just as a  small start  and questions  any coach will ask , when looking at physiological  assessments.

Critical question back .
 Woudl we ever  discuss this  when using a LT  test idea or a VO2 max test idea  or a FTP  test idea ?????  So please  come back  and  help to defend  LT  VO2  amx  and  any other  performance based ideas/
Ruud_G

Development Team Member
Good question. From tHb I sense he had his left leg often downward in the rest period [smile]

Did you measure power output differences as well for left and right seperately?

Just thinking loud wrt discrepanies in SmO2 and tHb trend. Is there any reason to believe different capilarisation / fiber distribution differences between two legs (or very different positional placements the moxy)? Different activity (emg). It's hard to actually relate breathing to the differences and why (just some reasons stated) would it appear in one leg but not in the other? Just some quick critical thoughts / options and questions.
Ruud_G

Development Team Member
O i see Juerg was typing faster [smile]
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Ruud  very  unlikely  I type  faster. I have a system  Bald  eagle  three time  circle before I  attack.

different capilarisation / fiber distribution differences between two legs

That is  actually possible  and we see this very often in ACL  rehab  or in  any rehab  where we had a relative long   inactivity time.
 As well  we can see some changes in  people with unfortunate  ALS  as I have  for the moment.
. That's  why my  one  question was  of  injury somewhere in the past. There are  increasing  studies now done on this  and I will get some on here as we  go  along.
bicyclefitguru

Development Team Member
Im traveling now but will fill in with details soon. He does not have a lld, scoliosis or any significant musculoskeletal imbalances. He actually is the national champion amateur triathlete 2015. The only remarkable observations (in process of being addressed) concern the fact that his bike is too small. Ive done everything in my power -- including manufacturing modified aerobar extensions -- to make the handlebar reach = to his torso length, and used the test as the final motivator to get a new bike. He is going from a med speed concept (9) to a 58 Feli IA (largest). The man is clearly unable to breathe sufficient to his muscle demands. Just putting a second set of arm pads on the extensions and having him release the controls lowered is heart rate 6bpm and raised smo2 levels at fixed ergo

Development Team Member
On the topic of respiratory limitation brought up here, of the handful of athletes I've had the Moxy on I've got three road cyclists whose smO2 bottoms out during hard efforts (<5%, understanding 10% error bars).  Are there any general prescriptive measures for this - i.e. is this limitation trainable to any extent?  
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
We  see in any sport  where athletes  are  relative  long in the sport , that the  main muscle  is doing a great job and is  great trained.
 So  I  often use  MOXY  in top athletes on  secondary important  muscles  to get the  idea  if I  us only  one.
 So in cycling  I us  rectus  femoris  much more  than  VL.  This  only  of you only  work  with SmO2  if  you get used  to read  as well  tHb  and use  biased O2Hb and Hb  it does not matter as in biased  you have no units  just trends  as well.  A  low SmO2  indicates  a good  utilization  with a  limitation in   delivery  to a certain extend  only but it does not mean a  respiratory  limitation. To look at respiratory limitations  you have to add  tHb  trends  to it  and you have to look at the 1 min recovery reactions therefore.  No sorry to make it more  complex. If you only look at one muscle  you may think  from tHb and SmO2  it is a  respiratory limitation but if it is a CO2  retaining it is a systemic  reaction so  we needed  to see some reactions   if not as extreme  as well in other body parts.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net