Author   Comment  
ryinc

Development Team Member
Would appreciate any thoughts as to what may be going on here...

Background:
  • Moxy 1 is on right RF muscle
  • Moxy 2 is on left RF muscle
  • Workout was warmup, followed by 2 x 3 min V02 max efforts, with 3 min active recovery between intervals and about 6 minutes recovery between sets
Observations:
  • Quite a steep drop in Moxy 1 Sm02 profile in the active recovery between sets (not sure it makes sense to see a decline like this for what is an easy wattage).
  • Sm02 profiles in active recovery between sets is quite different. THb (&Sm02) Moxy 1 appears to drop, but Moxy 2 tHb (&Sm02) appears to stay more steady. To me it looks as though Sm02 is dropping as a result of tHb dropping, rather than saturation/utlisation changing
  • The Thb profile at onset of intervals looks a bit different - more obvious muscle compression on Thb 2. THb profile after each interval looks a bit different too e.g.  THb 2 seems to keep increasing sometimes while THb 1 sometimes reducesV02 intervals Oxy.png 

bobbyjobling

Development Team Member
Maybe it could be the adipose tissue depth difference. You might be measuring more fat blood volume in one of the sensors...I would say sensor 2 is measuring more fat blood volume. The response to exercise on the fat blood volume was shown on one of the previous post... I think they used a different NIRS system...TSI.

MoxyPhysiology

Development Team Member
@ryinc to answer your questions. 

I am not seeing a steep drop in SmO2 during recovery, it seems that SmO2 is increasing during the entire rest, which is what we would expect. However, the recovery level of SmO2 is lower than in Moxy 2. This could be due to placement of the sensor, or potential leg strength discrepancies. Also, during the warm-up from time 0 - 10, it seems that SmO2 drops, and stays low throughout, indicating that the warm-up may be a bit too hard, even though it feels easy. The goal of a warm-up should be to push SmO2 as high as possible. 

As we do not know if the Moxy placements are exactly the same, it's challenging to purely compare SmO2 values. The SmO2 profiles look like they follow the same response. Where after the interval is over, they recover and reach a plateau before you start your next interval. As for the THb response, Moxy 1 appears to be detecting a venous occlusion as THb values rise throughout the interval, when the interval is stopped that venous occlusion is reduced leading to less blood volume build up in the muscle. With Moxy 2 it appears that there is more of a compression response where initially blood volume decreases, but as heart rate increases during the workout more blood is delivered, resulting in more blood flow to the muscle throughout the interval and even more so during recovery. 

Again, these disparities could be due to slight differences in Moxy placement or leg strength differences which result in different compression responses. I have seen these difference before and wrote a few blog posts on them if you are interested in more information. 

http://my.moxymonitor.com/blog/further-identification-of-unilateral-imbalances-using-moxy

bobbyjobling

Development Team Member
Future Moxy sensors should incorporate ultrasound tx/rx to constantly measure the thickness of the adipose layer so the user can adjust position accordingly or have the device adjust it's optical path to compensate for it.
ryinc

Development Team Member
Hi Bobby, surely fat tissue differences would show up as a consistent difference throughout the workout. We don't really see that - th traces have a similar level and shape for msny portions.

@MoxyPhysiology.
1. i do try place symetrically but obviously possible not idrntical.
2. The drop in SMo2 i sm referring to is between 30 and 40 minutes. This is active recovery. Moxy 1 SMo2 recovers and then declines, but Moxy 2 doesnt it recovers and the stays flattish.
3. Agree with the points about venous occlusion for Moxy 1, this could be left leg stronger tha right leg, or right leg working harder so occludes , or simply a placement issue.

Thanks for the articles and comments.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net