Author   Comment  
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
I just got  an email  with a  section of a great Blog  it seems   from  either  Facebook or  twitter. I  do not have  any  of  this social connections. I just have  one  email. So  I enjoy this  timbits  of information  as it keeps  me honest.
 Here the section on  Interval . It is  from an athlete  with   the  connection as   athletic  time machine

After I aborted my 2x20min workout after only the first interval, I started surfing around the web and came across Jesper Medhus’s ideas of focusing on sub-threshold intervals instead.  Jesper coaches a lot of very elite up-and-coming stars so he knows a thing or two about coaching.  He notes,

VO2 max intervals and threshold power intervals are the two most time effective ways to increase performance. But there is one major problem: high intensity intervals only work when you finish them. If you do not manage to maintain the correct intensity throughout the interval session, the effectiveness decreases. Thus, you will achieve better training if you choose an intensity with a higher success rate.

It is my experience that the success rate of high intensity intervals is lower than sub-maximum intensity intervals. Still, sub-threshold power intervals do offer significant improvements when made in appropriate doses. Also there is an argument that there is a physiological sweet spot because you can train at quite a high oxygen consumption without going anaerobic. Thus, you will give a great lift to your aerobic system (and almost nothing to your anaerobic performance).

I love the  above explanation  and wording like VO2 max interval or threshold power or  to maintain the correct intensity. I am always  amazed  how  exact  this training  are planned . So 2  x    20 min Vo2 max   load threshold power.
 This  is often based on a  test  a few  weeks back and even if it woudl be a test result  form 1 hour  ago.  How  do you know  that you  are in this intensities. You only know   what  load ( wattage  ) you push, but is this still  the same load  and physiological system integration  you had  as you  found this values ? The fact  that some days  you can  do this 2 x 20  relative easy  and the next  time  you aborted  the   traiing  seems . that there was a different feeling or   a  clear sign , that today  the  same load   was not the  same for your physiological system.

what is :
t is my experience that the success rate of high intensity intervals is lower than sub-maximum intensity intervals..

Is success of a  workout based, that you can finished  the planned  NUMBERS  or is it that you where able to stimulate  the  target physiological system ?  How  do we know   in case I can finish  2  x  20 FTP load, that    today I pushed the same physiological system to its limit  and  next time I do the same I finish it as well I  triggered the same  system ?

It could be the first time I had a much higher plasma  volume,  which allowed a higher SV  by  a lower HR   so the cardiac system  was not a  limitation but I  created  more CO2  so  respiration was the reason  fo slowing down or   just being able to  finish the   2 x  20.

Next  time  you  have  lower SV  so higher HR  and  the limiter is different.

Now  you again can see why we have a fundamental different idea about training  ans activity   for any sport  not just cycling  as we like to look live  what  is going on. So we may plan a  2 x  20 min FTP  with the goal  to keep a  stable  delivery  situation. So tHb  is stable  and than look whether we   as  well balance  the SmO2. We  can play around  by  using different physiological   stimuli  to see how  or  what is influencing the  SmO2  (  O2  utilization or delivery )  and how this  affects  the   tHB  ( delivery ). Depending on your    goal  you than can try to adjust  your   workout  by  changing the load  or  what is needed to  reach your physiological  goal.
 or  you simply  may   abandon the    20 min after 16 min and  34  seconds, as you  can not maintain your physiological target idea. So 2  x   may end  up as  23 min  12 seconds  and the second  time  16 min 51  second  with the  same physiological  stimuli.  In performance words  that may end  with the  first above  20 min load  at FTP  wattage  and the  second 16 min load starting out  with FTP  wattage but ending  at   a lower wattage.

This  than what I would call  correct intensity . 
Again and again  I am  really surprised   why we  would speculate  with a  fix  load   and hope it is  the same  stimuli , when we have   the ability to see live  as we   do the workout, that  we change the  way  we  either  deliver  or utilize  energy.  ??  If  I have  a patient   and I know  depending on  the  temperature  or  Barometric pressure, that he will have today a problem  with  his respiration   that he  will push the same load as last time,   and than  fail  when he actually  ca be super successful by adjusting on the go the resistance  so we  can again  today reach a 45 - 60 m  min workout  at a certain physiological goal setting  rather than failing   because I  not look on the live data  but simply push  blindly a  load ? 
Just  some loud thoughts  to this  very nice  email.
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
an add on  as I had  some  shorty time  to  klick on the  link  of jespers  >>>>
 Here what we see there :

Sub-threshold workout #1

10 min warm-up
3 x (10+5min) sub-threshold / recovery intensity
5 min cool down

Sub-threshold workout #2

10 min warm-up
10 min sub-threshold intensity
20 min endurance
10 min sub-threshold intensity
5 min endurance
5 min cool down

Sub-threshold workout #3

10 min warm-up
5 x (5+4min) sub-threshold / endurance
5 min cool down

My  immediate  question is :
 What is the magic on number  5  and  10. Is  it a physiological key number  or   is  it the amount  of  fingers we  have most often on  one hand ? or  2 ?  Where is the  since  all  always push  for    that 5  and 10  is the way to go ? ( Smile )
 At least it looks very organized  compared to my regular mess.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net