Author   Comment  
stephensmith

Development Team Member
Hi everyone,

My name is Stephen I'm a PhD student from the UK. For my PhD I'm studying the physiological demands of motocross racing.

My university have a MOXY kit, so we thought it would be really interesting to use the MOXY to help investigate the physiological strain experienced by riders during racing.

Very excited to get going with this kit! 
ryinc

Development Team Member
Welcome, you may want to check out the webinar presented by Clint which dealt with the motocross topic.
bobbyjobling

Development Team Member
Welcome to the forum.
Roger

Here's a link to Clint's webinar.  He starts to talk about arm pump at about 29:09.

juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Yes  welcome  and check  with Clint  and or  Carter  as they have  many many  assessments  done with VO2. Physio flow , NIRS /MOXY  and portamon  and  blood  values   many years back to assess Motocross  loads and  demands  in many  top world  class  riders.   For in the field assessments  you can use  MOXY  perfect  combined  with  cardiac hemodynamic  and blood values ( I stat )  as well now  with  the latest in VO2  portable  ideas  check out the canadian  version of  VO2 master  and contact them as they do a seminar in Lanzarote this spring. VO2  master  wireless   ways  and small portable  VO2  equipment. Than last but not least add a BTS  surface  16 channel or  8  channel   system  form Italy. They are  incredible and  even if  you are out of  reach  they  store  the  datas  so u you have them live a soon they come back to reach.
For live longer  range  check  with Roger and the wasp  system  and  what is really nice  if you have as well as  visual  feedback  so check  with Roger  on the spanish company  who  combines  video and live MOXY. The  advantage of  this equipment combination is, that you avoid theoretical speculations and have real information so  the unseen real  versus the unreal seen.
 The otehr  nice  thing is ,t hat  the serious  research you guys  do  is based on the same feedback of  equipment we  use  since many years  but we do not  have the depth  of   knowledge you guys  have in a PH.d.  but we   collect  this  live datas  and make our  small conclusions. So having   studies  done with   the  equipment needed  for  live feedback  will improve  the understanding on real datas versus the speculations based on sometime  slightly over aged  ideas on metabolic reactions  and   other    ideas. 

Here some flowers  back  to Marcel  and his  coach Duncan ( flown in at that  time  from Abu Dhabi many years back in the UK  doing some   Physioflow /Portamon  / lactate  and  VO2  cosmed  real live  practical testing  never published  but  far ahead of  the  many  ideas  out  there.

Marcel real.jpg 

stephensmith

Development Team Member
Hi all,

Thank you for the welcome and I will watch the webinar with interest. We trialled the MOXY system yesterday on two riders and it was well received. I'm just about to download the data, extremely excited to see what this equipment can bring to a sport like motocross!
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
There are  a few  areas of interest in  motocross  which will be fun to see your findings.

1. Forearm  pump  Look  for tHb reaction and look  for   max SEMG  activity in comparison to when you see  venous  occl   and when you see the start of an  arterial occlusion.

( Rock  climber keep  an eye on this as well.)

2. Plio  and myometric  activity in the  quadriceps . Again look  more  for tHb reaction than SmO2  so you  will see the change  and the recovery based on blood flow  ability

3. Look at  EtCO2  reaction in combination with  NIRS  to see  whether  you  have  an ability  to  get rid  of  CO2    to help to balance H +. This  reaction   may show a  better feedback on SmO2  and tHb  time delay   in the recovery between loads  so   you can have the MOXY on a less involved  less priority muscle ( if  that is existing in  motocross.  smile )

Good luck and will be fun to see some  feedbacks  from your findings.
sebo2000

Development Team Member
Welcome Stephen, I just came from BMX track with some cool Moxy data collected (I'm road cyclist BMX is quite new to me) I didn't know where to place the Moxy when riding BMX, and had it on VL and Deltoid.

Next time I will try my arms, I can still feel them today [smile]

I was surprised to see my Deltoid Smo2.
Andrew

Study Participant
Stephen, welcome to the forum. As Juerg mentioned, we are hosting a VO2 Symposium in the Canary Islands in a few weeks, and I would like to extend a personal invitation to you. I will attach a detailed PDF of what we are offering at the Synposium, and hope you can join us.  

We are really excited this week, because our programmer has just updated our iOs app to be able to record Moxy data simultaneously with data from our portable and wireless VO2 monitor, using an Ant+ bridge. I am going to try to get some video up on-line later this week, after I have a chance to experiment some more, to ensure the data collection is reliable and presentable. Stay-tuned everyone...
http://www.vo2master.com

Attached Files
pdf Canary Symposium Details-2.pdf (385.56 KB, 20 views)

juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Thanks  Andrew  great news  and a major step forward to in the field  physiological data collection.

MTF Carter

Development Team Member
Hi Stephen,

My name is Carter and I used to race motocross here in the US a few years ago. ..also where I first started using NIRS back in 2010 or so. I look forward to hearing more about your data on the motocross track. Any plans to look at heart rate and BP? The skeletal muscle afferents on the dirt bike is unlike any other sport in my opinion but I am biased [smile] These kids probably have a huge exercise pressor response on the track.

Using 
NIRS would be pretty cool to look at this response when kids get this intermittent exertional compartment syndrome or "arm pump".  Some of the animal researchers have shown that graded blood flow restriction during exercise can produce an augmented exercise pressor reflex. They also see this in blood flow restriction training exercise; here is a nice review on blood flow restriction and the exercise pressor reflex (http://ajpheart.physiology.org/content/309/9/H1440).  Maybe arm pump has a bigger systemic impact than just local ischemic pain in the arms. Maybe there is an ischemic threshold that when crossed causes significant pain or increases sympathetic tone. Anyway, good luck with your studies and using MOXY. I have used many NIRS systems like PortaMon, oxymon, and moor NIRS but I like MOXY for large muscle or whole body exercise. Now we just need a research lab specific MOXY where we can have a faster sampling rates and ports for analog outputs to our data recorders!! Also an MRI MOXY would be awesome!!! I can dream [smile]  

Can I ask who is you laboratory director there in the UK? I'd be interested in reading more work from your lab. 

Carter Luck

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net