Author   Comment  
Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Great feed backs from great people, who have some problems to show up with real name and  their great questions on a popular forum.
 So here  one question, which repeated itself over the last few days over and over again.
" To we have a  picture or  print, where we have comparison between a " physical , classical guided interval workout  and a physiological guided workout.
" Answer  : sure  here it is.
 The first  sets you can see are fixed 1 min interval repetitions with same load same duration and same rest period.
 Short recovery and than a physiological guided workout with the target to hit  the same deoxy levels. See the change in recovery time and loading time.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: intervall_fixed_time_versus_physiological_recovery.JPG, Views: 54, Size: 46.95 KB 

Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Got  a nice mail  based on this info.
 In short : Can you show a typical way, on how  you would integrate  MOXY in track and field or  any  sport , where interval is a common training idea.
 Short answer for now Yes and stay tuned as I have to go back to some old testing and options we did a few years back  with Portamon and than you can see hwy MOXY will be the choice for teams and coaches in sports like soccer, Ice hockey but as well track and Field as the perfect guide for  great individualized interval ideas. 
Another  area we  tried different  things a few years back is hypoxia or altitude response, ionce we combined it with Spiro Tiger.
  Shapiro's  definition of  Bioavailablity of oxygen  is  a great way to explain or describe  why  MOXY and NIRS are so great to play with.
Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Okay part 1 in between  clients here.
 See picture.
 Look at for the moment just on red.
 O2Hb  or how the oxygenation trend takes place.  With MOXY we would take SmO2.
 First  series is a complete re-oxygenation workout. set 2 is  an incomplete  re oxygenation and third set is a super compensation of oxygenation.
 The ideas are very different in between this workouts  and some people immediately will see, how we may be able to stimulate ideas like MCT1  and MCT 4  dynamic.
 Depending what you do in between the   individual  set in one load you  may  be able to accumulate more lactate than usual but balance your H + situation. This later when we advance. So here first just the picture of the three intervals.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: juerg_Intervall_total_overview.JPG, Views: 46, Size: 109.67 KB 

Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
The beauty of MOXY is that we now see, when we create a hypoxia during interval or strength workout. Here is a nice study  who shows  benefit of interval workouts. Nice would be if they would  have given the  type of interval they did. Loading till end of deoxyegnation phase loading into hypoxia parse   reloading before complete reload  or to start oxygenation or to  a "PLOI situation. here the study 
 Interval exercise training improves tissue oxygenation in patients with chronic heart failure
PDF (Size:198KB) Full-Text HTML, PP. 301-307 DOI: 10.4236/wjcd.2013.33047

Author(s)

Ioannis Vasileiadis, Maria Kravari, John Terrovitis, Vasiliki Gerovasili, Stavros Drakos, Argyrios Ntaliannis, Stavros Dimopoulos, Maria Anastasiou-Nana, Serafim Nanas

ABSTRACT

Aim: Aim of our study was to evaluate the effects of interval exercise training (IT) programs, regarding whole body oxygen uptake and peripheral tissue oxygenation, in Chronic Heart Failure (CHF) patients during recovery. Methods: Twenty-six CHF patients (21 males/5 females), mean age of 49 ± 12 years, participated in the study. Fifteen patients were assigned to IT and 11 patients were assigned to IT followed by strength training. All patients were trained for 40 minutes per session, 3 times per week, for 12 weeks. They performed a symptom-limited cardiopulmonary exercise testing (CPET), before and after the completion of the program. Muscle tissue oxygen saturation (StO2) of quadriceps femoris was continuously measured by Near Infrared Spectroscopy (NIRS) during CPET and during the recovery period after the end of exercise. Results: No differences were noted between the two patient groups regarding whole body and peripheral tissue oxygenation indices and, therefore, data from all patients were pooled. After training, an increase in peak oxygen uptake (17 ± 4.5 to 19 ± 5.5 ml/kg/min, p < 0.05), gas exchange threshold (11 ± 3.5 to 12.5 ± 3.5 ml/kg/min, p < 0.05), peak work rate achieved (105 ± 29 to 124 ± 37 Watt, p < 0.05) and the first degree slope of VO2 at the first minute of recovery (0.45 ± 0.2 to 0.61 ±0.3 L/min2, p < 0.05) was noted. In addition, tissue re-oxygenation time constant was decreased (65 ± 25 to 52 ± 28 sec, p < 0.001). Conclusion: In conclusion, interval exercise training accelerates oxygen uptake and peripheral tissue oxygenation during recovery from exercise in CHF patients.

and here how we determin interval time andload   hypoxia  relaod  based on IPAHR for sport and CHF Pic shows teh rsult of a IPOAHR with teh  different  informations

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: b_set_2.jpg, Views: 46, Size: 78.76 KB 

Marcel

Development Team Member
Here a gym session where I tried to have a SmO2 guided session. Interestingly on the run where I increased speed there was three alarm and recovery phases (tHB reacted differently on the first 2 alarm phases?) before things settled. 

Goal of the session is local muscular endurance, squat jumps with same weight throughout and workload through out should be maintained. First set was a traditional set to see what happens each little dip is 10 jumps. Rest perioed would normaly be about 10 min but SmO2 showed recovery so went again, Rest was about 2 maybe 3 min.  Second set SmO2 guided, 17-20 reps and varied according to SmO2, and recovering to a base line. Third set 15-20 reps didnt allow the same recovery to see what happens and I gradually could not maintain SmO2 anymore and reps dropped also.

How do you do your sessions and what is your goal in the session with SmO2?

13oct23lme.jpg

Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Beautiful information Marcel, thanks so much :
 2 questions, resp  feed-backs.
 1.  The second  MOXY guided   set. : If it would be MOXY guided, why did the SmO2  not  dropped  down to the first low SmO2  value.
 So  if it  would be MOXY guided it would look like the fist Moxy guided  one.
 Where you simply not able anymore  to  go all the way down  and went to  the level  as low as possible  or  what was " guided "
2. Now the big question and the  straight forward answer.
  What do we do now , once we have this  MOXY guided  idea running . What training causes  what changes.
  Answer :  NO CLUE  ( Yet )
 That's where we need open minded  MOXY users  and coaches  and individuals.
 Here  what we need.
 a)  We now w  with MOXY have a tool, where we   can "load " physiological    the  body  and repeat the same physiological load . We have a physiological guided  workout  rather a physical guided workout.
 Meaning :
  If I make a interval based on wattage   I may load every time the same wattage  let's  say 5  x  300 Watt with  2 min  break.
 This means  , that I  have 5  time the same physical load  and the same physical recovery.
  With MOXY  I may load    x  time  down to 35 SmO2   and wait   x time   till I am back up to base line  65  SmO2.
 The amount of repetition is given , whether I still can repeat the same load  after the same  SmO2 recovery.
 How much wattage do  I loose or gain  with the same  deoxygenation effort  and how   is the time  duration of the rest period   back to 65  SmO2  changing.
 If I do the physical guided  workout I know I  repeat the same physical performance, but I have no clue  , what  systems  may react differently in each set on the same physical performance  on a given day.
 So the physiological stimulation  may be  every  workout session very different due to  limiter and compensator reaction.
 the end result , what ever it may be   is an end result  where I have  no clue  how I got  to that result and  what I changed in my physiological reactions.
 If  I am able to  have a better performance, than I am happy, if  I  am worse  or no improvement, than I may change the coach  or  my coach  may tell me that I reached my genetically potential.
  With the  psychological guided   idea  I  know exactly what I loaded  and how long  and how  deep I pushed the systems.
 Now  if  I see progress I know  why , because I  have the information on the load   in my physiological system.
 If  I make no progress or I am getting worse  I know   hoe the physiological system reacts now  and why my wattage  is  on a higher level  same or a lower level. That means that I know that the current stimulation I apply   is  in fact a  stimulation  with a subsequent  physiological reaction  for progress or  stagnation or even overload  and   decreased   performance.
 So yes I need both   objective  performance  but I like to back that  up with physiological information on how  I created this " objective " performance.
  A very simple example :
  I  push 250 wattage.
 I have a HR  today of  150 beats.
 Tomorrow  I push again  250  wattage an have a HR  of 165 ??
  What do I do: I is the same  workout  as I push the same wattage ;
 second example :
  I push 250 wattage  and have a respiratory frequency  of  40  breathe / min.
 Tomorrow  I push 250 wattage  and have a respiratory frequency  of  34  breath  per minute. ????
 Third example. 
I push 250 wattage  and  have  a SmO2  down to 54 +-  % flat  and a stable tHb
Tomorrow  I push 250 wattage  and have a Sm  of 45 -  slightly dropping  and a tHb   slightly dropping.
 ?????
 Now  I could  combine the tree examples  and I  would have a great  opportunity to understand  why 250 wattage is the same physical load  but a very different physiological stimulation at a give  time under  certain  situation based on the recovery   of Limiter and compensator.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net