Author   Comment  
fitbyfred

Development Team Member
Hi, I am wondering what readers may think is possibly going on with this exercisers situation during the 1 min recovery sets, which are shown on the image of the MOXY/Peripedal info ??? Attached the MOXY csv file 

FBF Warm Up Sets.jpg

Attached Files
csv MOXY_Warm_Up.csv (32.48 KB, 9 views)

Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
FRED WILL LOOK CLOSER TOMORROW BUT TE STEPS  ARE INDEED  INTERESTING.
 What do we look for  try this out :.'
1. Base line tHb
2. Same for tHb
3. Most interesting look HR  and SmO2  at the end of the load resp  at the start or  just before the 1 min break ? Take a mirror view  and tilt  HR   upside down and overlap  with SmO2.
  ??? Now this can have 2  reasons.
a) a  good one
b ) a less  optimal one
 so before I go into details here what Fred should try res if   this was in fact a walking / or running  assessment.
 If it was a running assessment. Take the client back in in 2 days  and make an assessment on a  elliptical or on a  bike   and sent us the data's.  If it is a good one we have immediately the answer . But as well if it is not that optimal.

fitbyfred

Development Team Member
Juerg, hi, and thanks for your feedback.

Yes, this info came from a jogging client. We were screening to see for possible changes in the recovery and endurance loads, so not a full assessment. Will have the client back in in a couple days to collect info while cycling. Meanwhile I can mirror the traces as you suggest.
Cheers,
FBF
fitbyfred

Development Team Member
Hi, g'morning. See below the HR trace set in reverse order. Tomorrow will show the info from taking the jogger for an equal length bike screen.  

FBF Warm up Reversed.jpg      
FBF Warm Up-Reverse.jpg 
The MOXY was fixed on the jogger's mid-Vastus Laterals using soft me-fix under there very light compression type short. 

The jogger's weight is decently controlled, but not light by running standards (BMI=25). The form was pretty good and the cadence was measured at 160-170 spm each set. So, pretty smooth. The running surface was a Woodway Path treadmill. The speed was warm up to light jogging only: 4.3, 4.8 & 5.3 mph.

Looking at Juerg's note:

At the end of each step/start of each rest the tHb drops, the HR (after first set) jumps and SmO2 falls. Why will tHb drop at rest ? Reduced demand or jump in tension from the muscle compression used to stand still between jogging sets ? Why will HR climb at same time ? Blood pooling ? Why will SmO2 continue to decrease even though the demand of utilization stopped ? A supply issue ?

I tried working this out while the jogger completed his sets. See tHb at start of rest for the 2nd last set, where the jogger stands for his rest minute only on the left foot, keep the the MOXY monitored leg non weight bearing.

Also for the start of each set, immediately following the rest minute, see the clear drop at HR and increase in supply & saturation. 

For me, these markers may be pointing toward a central situation, where the cardiac muscle isn't performing 'strongly' enough to create adequate pressure, which ensures better flow/supply to the resting muscles.

Will be back tomorrow with the info from the bike screen.

Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Fred  great  fun job. Do you  used the peripedal . If  yes  can you sent the peripedal csv  file as I need the HR  together with SmO 2 and  tHb  to show some  points  in a close view.
fitbyfred

Development Team Member
Jeurg, yup I use the peripedal software. Here's the file. Thanks for any time this gets in the mix of all the other inputs here on the forum. 
FBF

Attached Files
xls FBF_Peripedal_Warm_Up.xls (20.98 MB, 9 views)

fitbyfred

Development Team Member
Here's the re-screen of the jogger, this time on a bike.

First slide to share is the bike screen with MOXY on R Leg (I say screen because we did not go 'all out' for either the initial screen or the second screen and the data collection is only collecting data from MOXY and HR. The workloads peaked at 5-7 of 10 efforts. 

FBF Re-screen on Bike-R Side.jpg 

Couple of points about this screen: 
1. It's 2 days after the initial jog screen
2. The client isn't used to cycling at all, so there was lots of shifting on the saddle, pedal coordination was challenging, etc. etc.
3. It's the same duration as the first screen, with a couple of experiments tacked on the end.
4. The 1st set avg (since their not a practiced cyclist I gave them a range and noted the avg for 5 min each set) wattage is 45 w, 2nd set is 85 w, the 3rd is 125 w and the final set is 165 w. 1 min resting easy on the bike seat between each set for the first 4 sets
5. Upon completion of the 4th set rest break, the client is spinning again, for another 5 min, and back at 85 w load. For the rest he stands on floor for 1 min (see recovery).
6. For the final 2 loads, the client is back up jogging on the same treadmill as first screen. Speed is 5 mph. At end of 5 min the client is at rest on both feet on treadmill. At end of second jogging set, the client takes the 1 min rest break up on the bike seat.

Since we were screening again, I thought it may be interesting to see the reactions at the L leg too. See this in the chart below:

FBF Re-screen on Bike L .jpg    

Interesting ? 

Peripedal file attached. 

Thanks for any thoughts/ideas that come up regarding the recovery situation we're seeing here on the bike -vs- the recovery situation we see at the top during a jogging screen.

Attached Files
xls FBF_Recovery_Screen_R&L_Leg_PeriPedal.xls (20.45 MB, 12 views)

Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
( Il like the mirror view)Fred thanks  for this great example .* I hope you got my mail on the options in this clients reaction n and great to see the same reaction again  after the bike when he run again. Hope it made sense  and we  have eliminated the not as optimal possibility we sometimes  see  with this spike in HR. One sign for the regular readers . If it is  an AF  or CAR than you would not see the SmO2 spike as it would be a  systemic reaction and not a local reaction.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net