Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
runner

Development Team Member
How much can a distance runner (10K and more, so 30 minutes of running and more)
desaturate LV or RF and maintain that pace?

I know this is all individual and every person is different, but I am wondering if there is
any data showing what level of SmO2 desaturation is sustainable over a longer period.
CraigMahony

Development Team Member
I do not think it is the level of SmO2 you need to worry about but the trend. If SmO2 is balanced, you should be able to maintain this until muscular fatigue becomes the limiter rather than O2 supply or utilization.
runner

Development Team Member
> I do not think it is the level of SmO2 you need to worry about

Are you saying that it's irrelevant if I can run (during the race) for an
hour at 10% SmO2 vs 60% SmO2?

Don't you want to extract (and utilize) as much oxygen as possible?
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Perfect  answer  from Craig. Yes  it does not matter  for   performance maintnace  on what SmO2 level you  are  it only matters  what  trend you see.
 The only  difference is.  in an edn  situation in a  arce   both runners may be  at a  stable level  that's  why they keep the same pace. but the  runner  with the  higher stable level of  SmO2  and a stable tHb will have more  " spare  " O2  left  for the  last endsprint and most likely will win.

Just very short as  little time  here  due to  wild fire  and evacuation alert is in the air.

Yes there are  different low intensity   assessments  you can do  to see how  and  who may  have recovered  since  the last  workout. Important is  to  combine  bio markers  from RRA  to HRV  to  trend sin NIRS  and phase angle  for  cell reactions. It is  all adressed in the forum  a  while back.
 Great discussion all the time. Here a  short reminder  when you  do interpretations   based  just on one locla  NIRS feedbalc.
 When we started  this  interesting  directions  15  plus years back  we  did NOT use  NIRS as the main  feedback on bio and physiological reactions. We  used   live cardiac  hemodynamic  to see informations  as often mentioned like SV  and EDV   and than compared  what  that triggered on the Portamon on different depth in the body  form skin to muscle.
. Or we looked  ad  SVR  in the cardiac assessment and again compared  how this  would show up in a SEMG  and in tHb reaction. We  would look  in a VO2  CO2   levels and again would look how this react in cardiac  reaction on  EDV  and on LVET. Than we  move   to NIRS  and look whether  there is a   repeatable  trend there on tHb  and SmO2  . (  correction we looked  at TSI %  and then  at Hb difference,  Once MOXY  came  up we  compared all of this  with  Portamon and  the new  MOXY feedback  to see how  the support each other. ( See compression  testing  with  compression cloth  discussion and  cold  and hot   case studies.
 So  we  used  estableished  feedbakc to  see , whether NIRS will show  repeatvbel trend.
 The risk now we have is using NIRS alione  and forget to establish possible connections.
 Example. The  discussion on  high  handle bar prosition verusus   aero position and the interesting tHb and SmO2 trend.
.   Key words  . What  does  that mean when tHb increases, what connections are possible and where  do I get the interpretation backed up  in case  I  go in a  specific  direction.
 tHb up  ?? less activity / how  to confirm,  tHb up higher CO  how  to confirm, tHb up pooling  without cardiac  or muscular   reason  (  why. )

Congrats  to all feedbakcs  and discussion on here.
 The forum is where I hope it  may  go  self sustainable nwo as many out there are working incredibly well with NIRS  and get their feet wet  and learn as  they  gain more and more feedback  and experiences.

I  do some  very fun work for the moment to see how  plasma volume change   like  in sport  with hydration and dehydration  may show  up in NIRS trends. As well do some interesting practical  application on hwo  to  use medication for certain delivery problem like  cardiac problem  or  thyroid  problem  to  create  an optimal dosage  for individual cases. 
Have a great summer  Time  to go out  and  load  the car  with emergency stuff and  just in case  we have to move  and be ready  and look how  to deal  with the animals.

Check  the news  on British  Columbia   in an state of  emergency.
 The closest  hugh   wild fire  now is  15 km of  where we  are  and not  a lot  but forest in  between . Hope  the wind  keeps  as it is now  so moving the fire  south not north.

CraigMahony

Development Team Member
No runner I am not saying that. I am saying that if it is balanced you should be able to complete a 10km at that level. Obviously the lower the SmO2 level you can reach and still be balanced then the greater O2 you are utilizing. A low SmO2 may in fact be an indicator of a low O2 supply rather than a great O2 utilization. 

The main point is that if the trend is balanced then O2 is keeping up with demands so you you should be able to keep going until other factors may cause problems. One thing that might happen is that heat stress might set in and more blood will be diverted to the skin for cooling. Less will then be available for muscular effort. This would mean that continuing at the same pace you could now be in an unbalanced situation where O2 is not keeping up with demand. This will require a slowing of pace to get back to the balanced level of SmO2.
CraigMahony

Development Team Member
Juerg, great to hear from you again. Be safe.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net