Author   Comment  
CraigMahony

Development Team Member
As we know, blood gets redistributed to the skin to produce a cooling effect. My question is, will this interfere / disguise the muscular tHb in the non priority muscle?

The reason being that today I did a ride on my trainer. I was keeping an eye on the non priority muscle to see if / when the blood was redirected to the working muscles. However, it just kept going up. I ended up at 130W when normally this would have happened somewhere between 80-100W. (Not good stats for a bike rider!) I was sweating more than usual due to the heat. So did my non priority tHb get influenced by blood going to the skin to cool me or did I just have a good day (my HRV was the best it had been in a at least a fortnight).
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Craig  this is a  fascinating   point  and we  tried  to  figure out  what is more important  for survival . BP  or  core temperature.
 So we did  different manipulations and actually used  MOXY  and portamon as  this way we had more feedback on  shift  of blood  from muscle to surface (  temperature )  protection versus  tHb  drop in muscle ( MOXY  due to compression.) Here a  rare inside  view  in some of  this cases  as  for us it was  important  than to combine this with Physio  flow to see the  cardiac  hemodynamic  and understand how we  could use  heat or  cold  for  physiological manipulation  for  certain goals.

munsell ipahd.JPG 

Look  carefully  there  are  two shades of  red and blue  which represent  different  depth of  blood  flow  and O2Hb and HHb. The green on top is TSI  %
 You can see one  reason  why we  do   sudden  complete  stop  . Why ?

Now  below  another   client.
jj and  look start.JPG 
Can you see the difference.  Now   in any case  when we have to   protect  BP    or   core temperature  or both  we  need one   important delivery system system.
 If  that system is   very great on that  day  you  can look  at  performance as  one options but as well at  HR  as another option and  you look  at SmO2 trends in the one min rest  combined  with  tHb  reaction. Why ?
  now  heat has  an additional help  in the short run  for  O2  bio availability . What is  it ?

Than as  you had live  the feedback  and you see a change   from the  average " normal " reaction  you can do  at that moment a  higher  O2  demand  by keeping the same wattage  but  by changing  what.?
 If  the  cardiac system   is  in great  shape  on that day  you can add ??
 if  it  is actually on its limit  you will  see what ?  This is now  where you  guys start to see the options in physiological stimulation.  do you like to  have a fan  or no fan  do you like to create what for the  next  day  or not.  and so on. training  for  a training
  Craig great  post creates great  thinking for all and great  combination off  what we  discuss on here..  Now  besides  heat  nutrition is another  topic  to look at physiological reactions.

CraigMahony

Development Team Member
One thing I would like to confirm in this is what does the Moxy measure? Does it measure only the HB of the muscle tissue and blood vessels within the muscle tissue or does it also measure HB closer to the surface in the skin?
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Roger  can give  you a perfect  answer  on how  the model works.
The above  pictures  are  from Portamon which assess  three different  depth  for  O2Hb  and HHb  and therefor tHb, but  has only  one TSI  %. The  MOXY  model   tries to   mainly focus on the muscle tissue  but as in any NIRS  there is a limitation if  we have a  too thick   skin fat layer. The penetrations depth is  half  the distance of the   optodes.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net