Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
runner

Development Team Member
I have Garmin Fenix 3 watch that I use with Moxy sensor(s).

I have been experiencing intermittent loss of connection.
The connection is lost for a few seconds during which either the
watch is not receiving the signal or the sensor is not sending data. 
I was using a built-in Run app with a custom screen (IQ Connect with
Moxy data field)

This happens sporadically and I haven't been able to isolate the cause
or under what circumstances this happens.

Has anybody else experienced this problem?
Roger

Hi Runner,

To help diagnose this, can you use the Moxy PC App and download the .csv file from the Moxy sensor.

If the .csv file is missing data points, you will see time increments longer than 2 seconds. This would mean that the Moxy is not creating a reading during those times.  The first suspect for the problem would then be ambient light.

If the .csv file has the data in places where the watch missed the data, then the problem would be in the ANT+ communication or in the watch data field.  I'd have to do some testing to try to recreate the problem if this is the issue.

If you could send me the .FIT file downloaded from the watch and the .csv file downloaded from the sensor to roger@moxymonitor.com, I can look them over and see if we can determine the source of the problem.

Roger
runner

Development Team Member
Unfortunately, I have already deleted the .fit and .csv files for those
sessions.

If I encounter this problem again, I will inspect the csv files
and follow up with you.

tcj103

Development Team Member
I experienced a similar issue last night with my Fenix3 recording a trainer session with the MoxyCycle app.  Roughly halfway through the workout I noticed SMO2 was not indicating.  Flipped around a couple screens and re-paired, which seemed to fix it.

Garmin Connect couldn't read the file.  After the normal bluetooth sync, nothing showed up.  Manually imported the file to Garmin connect and it had some sort of generic fault stating it couldn't be read.

SportTracks just kind of ignored the file.  I did manage to get a readable version using the fitfiletools website, using the corrupted time tool on the site.  But the resultant file didn't have any SMO2 data.

The CSV file off the device had only one time gap greater than 2 seconds, very early in the record so I don't think that had anything to do with it.

I have the fit file as well but it looks like that can't be attached.

Attached Files
csv 16NOV2017.csv (102.99 KB, 5 views)

fellrnr

Development Team Member
I'm seeing similar issues. Attached is the GC graph from Moxy and from Fenix 3. 

Overall, I think there is an issue with the Ant transmission power from Moxy, as it seems like the range is limited. Typically I find I have to have my watch on the same side of my body as the Moxy. 

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: UNCC Moxy-F3.jpg, Views: 5, Size: 321.18 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: UNCC Moxy.jpg, Views: 5, Size: 231.79 KB 

fellrnr

Development Team Member
Fit files from F3, F5X, and direct emailed. This time I had the F3 freeze, recording the same value rather than dropping out. 
dickfelton

Development Team Member
I am a new user (first run with Moxy today) and have been reading this stream. I have a Fenix 5 and the Moxy SMO2 # during the run were erratic and sometimes zeros. I have read that this maybe light? The csv file shows a lot of gaps (attached) A couple of questions please.
#1 - there are now a number of apps on IQ - which one is best to use for a run or cycling training? {I do know that the 515 apps are for assessment]
#2 - could you please point me to a write up about the best way to attach the Moxy. Owners manual is good however does tape over the +ant or the vent have an effect on the reading?

BTW - the fenix 5 did not upload any information on SMO2 to Garmin connect today - Is this because of the gaps in the cvs file?

Thanks (maybe you could give me a sequenced reading list to get me up to speed!?)csv first_run_with_moxy.csv     

Development Team Member
I have a Fenix3 and have had issues with the MoxyRun and MoxyCycle apps, they tend to hang during a workout.  That seems to corrupt the data and then Garmin can't read it.

I've had better results with the newer "Moxy 1st sensor" data field app.  Just install the app and then Moxy info can be displayed and recorded.  After installing it becomes a sensor field that's available for display.

Your data has a lot of time gaps; anything that is over 2 seconds means the sensor didn't record it, and as Roger has mentioned, outside light is the first suspect.  There also looks to be a lot of noise in the values, probably from light as well.

I use the medical tape they suggest.  It's semi-stretchy so it can shape itself around the device.  I've only run with mine once so far, and that data got corrupted.  Been using it more on the bike and using tape, and under the bib shorts, and it's been fine.  But running probably has more shaking around than on a bike trainer.

dickfelton

Development Team Member
Thanks for your input "runner" So today I took your advice and used moxy 1 and set up data fields - everything seemed to work fine. as far as I can tell there are no gaps (file attached - includes run and cycle) however no information in Garmin Connect for either activity.

I tried to upload the fit files that download from the moxy to garmin connect however each time I try I get an error?

FRUSTRATED

WAIT - in the file for ride - there are 3 spots where there are problems but I can not believe that it is light. I had a light shield installed AND my cycling shorts over top!? wonder what it could be AND is this what is stopping the upload to Garmin?

csv run.csv     

csv firstcycle_simulate515.csv    

Development Team Member
Unfortunately when Moxy downloads the stored .csv data to PC it also can get corrupted. You may need to try to download the same data several times [frown]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net