Author   Comment  
tniccum

Development Team Member
Hi,

I did my first attempt at the 5-1-5 assessment today. I thought I would copy someone else's "format" to summarize my info (thanks!).

Background:
58 y/o Male.
Cycling for 3.5 years.  Started competing in 12 hour time trials last year.  Generally do well in age class.
Estimated FTP: 275W.
Hydration was good.
Sleep was ok.
Temperature was ok (acclimatised).
Time of day: 4:00pm.

Moderate workout schedule prior 2 weeks.

Equipment used:
PerfPro Studio
Wahoo Kickr.
Cervelo P3 Tri-bike.
Scoche Rhythm+ HRM.
Garmin Speed/Cadence sensor.
Moxy x1

SmO2 placement:
Moxy, VL (left, no wrap, under thick bib shorts)

Other data in files:
HR
Power
Cadence

Protocol:
Standard 5-1-5
1 min Calibration at start.
First set at about 30% of estimated FTP (100w).
20% (50w) increase per set. 
Rest 1min between set with  legs at 3 and 9 o'clock.
Last completed set at 300w
Failed at 350w... couldn't maintain good rpm and would have had to change rpm/position radically.

Have been reading the forums, and would like help interpreting the result...  

Thanks!

Tom
Screenshot 2016-03-27 18.49.51.png 

Attached Files
csv Tom_-_Moxy_5-1-5_Assessment_-_1.csv (276.98 KB, 14 views)

juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
I did a  first  fast  l peak  at the info.
 Question.
 SmO2 placement:
Moxy, VL (left, no wrap, under thick bib shorts)

You mean you simply  moved  MOXY under the bike  shorts. So  cover roll stretch tape  used ? 

Here the short  closer view .

frist 5 1 5.jpg    The     "rest lessness of the tHb  and the SmO2  during the load mainly and this is a  10 second average  suggest  an insufficient fixation between  skin and MOXY  optodes  so lots of  movement  which  can show up  as thsi restless info.
  We  always  with no exception move the MOXY into a cellophane wrap  t o protect  from sweat  and than sue  cover stretch  roll tape  to really fix  it on the skin. The   cycling shorts over the top is great  to avoid light intake  and is   most often sufficient inside a  room . In bright outside conditions  I  us a  black cloth over the  top  to be sure  to avoid  light influx.
 . .
 In  a  short summary.
In case it was just on the skin between shorts  and skin I woudl repeat teh   assessment  to be sure we  do not have a wrong conclusion. In  case  it was taped  down   we have some more thinking to  do  as the   graphs are far too restless.

tniccum

Development Team Member
Thanks!  Not taped down.  Will repeat next weekend.

juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Thanks  for the  fast respond.
 The  main problem is , when not taped  down, that the motion  between  shorts  and skin is as wlel on the MOXY  so the light  is moved steady a little bit  and therefor gives  very often this  restless   feedback  and tHb  is much more influenced  from this.
 Will look forward to try to give you a  good feedback  next  time. Sorry  for the inconvenience  .
tniccum

Development Team Member
Thanks for the guidance!  It makes sense, and probably why BSX uses that sleeve thing... 
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Yes, depending on the placement  certain places  can be  easy covered  with a  sleeve.
 The risk of a sleeve is   however, that if it is too tight  you  may create  an additional compression which than  can change the  tHb readings  for sure.
 We  tried compression   stockings and it is  different in the outcome depending on the pressure.
 So we  actually used different compression  material   with different color and  had  a  NIRS  above the stocking  and one below to compare.
 If the  stocking is  white  or simply   not black or  dark color,  we  could get reading as well  when fixed above the stockings.
 We did  this  tests  actually during a  workshop in Seattle with  Todd   and David  and the next webinar on SmO2  and VO2  comparison in  April  with eh  presenter  was one of the   people  where we did  this comparison.
 As  MOXY is used on  all different muscles,  we always use the same tape as on many cases we can not have sleeves at all like a  trapezius  muscle or a lattisimus  , and abdominal  and so on. We use teh tape in water  for swimmers  as well and it works  nicely.
bobbyjobling

Development Team Member
This is the type of tape I use ; Rocktape Kinesiology Tape 5cm x 5m

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpeg, Views: 15, Size: 86.37 KB 

juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Short  suggestion  and I will  explain later  why.
 If  people look at the bike fitting webinar  carefully  than they see  actually  why.
 True  Daniele  made a good point  once  that  all the research papers use the VL  as a   target muscle.
 Critical  question.
 Why?
  which muscle  covers the biggest ROM in a  cycling  circle ?
 So  make  your  next 5/1/5   by  fixing  MOXY on the  rectus femoris.
. Think  why  and  why we  will have  often a nicer trend  in  top cyclist  compared to  using  VL.
bobbyjobling

Development Team Member
Good point, after watching the video too I was wondering why we used VL
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net