Author   Comment  
Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
I like to use  L's  first time   moxy assessment  , as it is a great example how fast and easy we  can learn to over the next few days I will go step by step through how we  can easy  learn a  base test  for running.
 To start out I like to show  the SmO2   graph. It was a  TIP  so 5 min  load  1 min rest  and a repeat of the same load before   going up with the load.
 Main questions we  always  get  is :
 What is the   start  load I  can   go with.?
 Answer  . It does not matter  in the  first tryout  , just  do it   as you believe you may be able to  do 4  - 5  double loads  or  6 - 8  single loads.,
 Double load is the  TIP  ; Example 5 km  / h  run  1 min rest  5 km / h run   1 min rest 7.5  km / h  run  1 min rest 7.5 km /h  run  1 min rest and so on.
  So you like to have 4  - 5  double steps in this case.
 If you do a 5 min step test  with a  1min rest  than you can do smaller steps.   and the same if you   just like to  do a  step test without rest in between.
 The first assessment than will guide  us to a perfect  individual assessment protocol as the HR  and MOXY info will tell us the optimal step sequence  we may have missed in the first try out.
 So here the SmO2  trend in the case we  will discuss.

smo2  all.jpg 
how many complete  steps  and    what do you see additionally.
 Here a  answer guide again.  try to explain for yourself  what you see.
SmO2  trend. 5 1 5 examplejpg.jpg

Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
L , sorry  for my delay   to your  first  assessment you sent in from a running assessment.
 It is just me getting  easy lost in the  great  and many mails  I get with questions to what we  do here and how we  can use MOXY.
 So here I am back and I like to use your  info's  for  many of our new  readers , who  may get lost in the advanced  discussion and into the very detailed  use of MOXY.
 So here  welcome  to a basic  idea  and use  of MOXY  for new  readers.
 I like  again  to show how easy it is  if you like to use MOXY as a baseline  " zoning device  only "
 Regular readers  now that I hate this  but  many like this  very basic approach.
 It is  ate least compared to what we used in the past an idea  or  assessment, where we  do NOT calculate  anything  but rather have the feedback  from your bodies respond.

This respond , as shown above in SmO2  ,would give you really just three " zoning's"  plus  one  above and beyond the   basic endurance assessment.
 So if we take the first data  and look , whether we  can find some zoning we  may end up  with this suggestion plus minus  some discussion on the ARI/ STEI  intensity.
FRED  Yes i did not forget your great suggestion to go closer into the ideas  of our  " zoning interpretations  and I will try to  hang on in this  post sections  with  very practical examples .

Now  below the SmO2 trend  from above  with a  possible zoning suggestion.

smo2  zoning.jpg 

Now , when you do the first time an assessment you  may see some  not easy to explain NIRS feed backs in SmO2  as well as in tHb.  Don't' get confused  and look first the clear feedback information  and than next step you look deeper into the   trends  we may see.

1. ARI = active recovery intensity : Short what we look  here :
 SmO2 trend going up indicating  an increased  delivery  of O2  which is  now  higher than the needed  and or utilized  O2    we  have from the activity  ( here running  ) If you stay  long in the ARI intensity  than you  may reach a limit   in SmO2  level and it will   create a "plateau " flat SmO2  trace  (  graph)
That's where we may start to discuss , whether STEI  is    still an ARI  as it is flat  and it is  actually the same load  ( speed  ) as the first 5 min load.
 So in this case we  do not see a further  SmO2  increase .
 a)  did we reached his  loading limitation on this day  
 b)  is he  already in a situation where delivery  and utilization are in balance  ?

Attention>:Here is where additional simple feed backs  can help  tHb trend  and HR  for example .

Now let's stay  with SmO2  only.
  If  we take it as  STEI = Structural endurance intensity
than we look as mentioned  for a  flat SmO2 situation like we see here  on different levels  , so it could drop initially lower but than  it  may balance  out and looks  flat. STEI is used  to   work  out  by NOT using  compensator as it is the intensity , where the limiter is pushed  to his limit  but  the compensators do not kick in yet. So specific  workouts  to  push the limiter to  improve. Or I can use  STEI  to  artificially  enhance  a specific compensator.
 Example..  Utilization is your limitation  as you may have a problem with mitochondria density.
 So you go STEI  and than use  the respiration  as it is not  used  yet as  compensator  to  create a better  situation to enhance utilization. Now  you push the  limiter hard  and you push the  Compensator  but use  him  not to simply compensate  but to actually   enhance the weakness of  utilization. ( stimulate mitochondria density.
 Forget this  section for now.  and let's go further.
 Flat  SmO2   balanced   load  and unloading of O2.
 Next step is   where we see more  O2 used  than can be delivered  so SmO2  drops. (  Energy  system for O2  is out of balance. and we may  need to get some support or  better more support  from O2  independent  storage , which really has  some time limitation due to the storage  size  and  refueling  process..
 Important is to understand, that there is no such thing like I take  first this  energy and when this is gone  I take now that. It is always I take from what ever I can to maintain my ATP  needed minimal level  and  my pO2  needed minimal level. When ever the base line minimal  energy  levels  are    reached or we are getting close ,the   body  will have to make some short  check ups  to see, whether  he can afford  to reduce the energy needs  to support the vital   systems.

So  once more the    simple  idea of energy hierarchies  in a picture.

hirarchye of O2.jpg 

So in our case  we have   one double  load ( same speed )  and than we  have an additional   double load  but incomplete the second time around.
 FEI  = Functional endurance intensity.
 Here we  have no chance to only load  the limiter  as he  already reached in the STEI   area  to the FEI area  ,his limitation. To keep the performance going you now need  to  get help  from  compensators,    but even they may have some problem  to  actually keep the   O2  delivery in balance  and you will need  to take O2  from your " bank account " ( no deficit )  as you will see, that  you can't afford  to have an O2  deficit  as this is the end  of  any cell structure .So you will allow your body  to  "drain" the account  to a very low  level, but you never will give up the account  so minimal pO2  is  maintained all the time.
 You  than  will try , when you are very low , to increase  your  account  back  to a better saving  as soon you have a chance  to do that.
 (  1 min rest  can show that efficiency )
. Now  I "hate " to  give  in a TIP a   HII  and this  is true as well in this  assessment. He  was nevertheless able  to maintain the same  speed over  the first 5 min  and than  half  into the second  5 min. HII   for me is HII High interval intensity. If you can  maintain a  hard load   over this long time   than this is   intense , but  not really high intensity. For  training ideas  in HII we do a  sport specific RIP test.

Summary.

The above SmO2  based  " zoning" would be a  first simple step .
 BUT it looks strange, that we have a  so  small STEI  or perhaps not even a  STEI  ( see discussion above.

So let's see why, as we as well have  HR  with the assessment. True we as well have performance in speed, but  that may be completely linear  going up   due  to  individual choice of the steps.
 Now speed and HR will go up linear  anyway. So let's look at the picture of both.

thb smo2 speed  and HR.jpg

Now you can see a huge  jump in HR  from  first load  to second load. Not that bad of a jump in speed . I added tHb  to it as  we can later use this example show  how the delivery  and utilization system   are closely  related in the way they react.But first look how we  can improve  or change the  assessment protocol for his next  assessment to have it nicely individualized.

Here a simple method , as we now  have some data. . We know the HR  and speed  will go up   relative linear.
That's  why  we use %  in this type  of zoning ideas. So we  can use  HR  and speed  from above  and move them into  a graph.
 Here the result of that  idea.

next protocol.jpg 
So you have the result  from  the first assessment you than look how the steps  would go  to have a regular increase and hope you may have a better  feedback on STEI  . You try to get 5  steps   if possible.
 So here is your next protocol  and we than have an individual increase  and see, what is going on.

Next up.   : Using SmO2  and tHb  for  information.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net