Author   Comment  
stephensmith

Development Team Member
Please see below for graphs from my first attempt at using boxy during a 5-1-5 cycling test. First is obviously a graph plotted from csv. file - please forgive the drops in heart rate the HR monitor was playing up.

Second photo is screenshot from Peripedal.

All look ok? Any hints on analysis?

Participant was a 48 year old high-level cyclist, pushing 420W on last 5min interval. 

Thank you! Very excited to be using this kit!

Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 20.56.36.png moxy test 1.png 

ryinc

Development Team Member
Hi Stephen

Welcome to the forum. Thabks for sharing. Data seems ok. What muscle was the Moxy on?

This does not look like a 5-1-5, since there seem to be no repeats of the same load so would be a 5-1 rather than a 5-1-5? Or am i misinterpreting the data?

If this is a leg muscle what position was it during the breaks? E.g. 6 o clock etc, and did this stay consistent?

One immediate quick tip - its good practice to have a 3 min "calibration" phase at the start just resting, some like to change leg position halfway to see both leg up and down calibration.

Would you mind sharing the actual csv file?.
stephensmith

Development Team Member
Thanks!

What muscle was the Moxy on? 

Right VL

This does not look like a 5-1-5, since there seem to be no repeats of the same load so would be a 5-1 rather than a 5-1-5? Or am i misinterpreting the data? 

Sorry, my misinterpretation of the instructions. It was 5 min stage + 1 min rest, then increase the watts. So yes, 5-1. 

Why do you need to do multiple stages at the same power?

If this is a leg muscle what position was it during the breaks? E.g. 6 o clock etc, and did this stay consistent? 

The sensor was just placed horizontally on the leg, if standing up, so the curve of the sensor matched the leg. It was in the same position for the whole test, I made sure it was secure with both the medical patches, tape and cycling shorts.

One immediate quick tip - its good practice to have a 3 min "calibration" phase at the start just resting, some like to change leg position halfway to see both leg up and down calibration. 

Ah ok, will do that next time!

Would you mind sharing the actual csv file?.

Attached

Attached Files
csv Andy Bennett 23-6-17.csv (118.52 KB, 9 views)

CraigMahony

Development Team Member
Another hint. You can rescale the right axis for tHb if using excel. The fluctuations are small for tHb so you need to zoom in.
ryinc

Development Team Member
Quote:
]Sorry, my misinterpretation of the instructions. It was 5 min stage + 1 min rest, then increase the watts. So yes, 5-1. 

Why do you need to do multiple stages at the same power?

Think of each intensity as a 10 min step - but with 1 min break between. This effectively represents  a disruption in the homeostasis achieved within each step (if there is homeostasis). Bio-markers staying the same or changing from the first iteration of a load to the second are often informative. As just one example whether the heart rate recovery is the same after the second iteration of a load.

There is nothing "wrong" with a 5-1 - you just potentially lose out some information. On the flip side a 5-1 can be done in a shorter time period, so that allows you to do more loads which gives you additional granularity across the range.

Quote:

The sensor was just placed horizontally on the leg, if standing up, so the curve of the sensor matched the leg. It was in the same position for the whole test, I made sure it was secure with both the medical patches, tape and cycling shorts.

I think you misunderstood  me. I was asking whether your leg/cranks was in a 6 o clock or 12 o clock position on the pedals. This sometimes influences the trends on the 1 min recoveries.

ryinc

Development Team Member
Hi Stephen

Some (non-expert) thoughts on the the data. The interesting parts are:
  1. Increasing THb trend during loads, which rises steeply in the later loads
  2. U-shape THb curve in general and increasing Thb peaks - although the change in THb during peak work and peak recovery actually get smaller in later loads
  3. Downward trends on Sm02 peaks
  4. Interesting bias graphs - see below
Bias.jpg 

To me the trends seem to make a cardiac limitation less likely. There are arguably some trends that are consistent with a respiratory limitation, but on balance my interpretation is a local muscle limitation.

(1) Utilisation looks as though it could possibly be further developed (relative to delivery) - to put this in perspective, in some of the case studies on the forum with dominant VL muscle and high utilisation - Sm02 can go into the teens or even single digits. These are more extreme, but provide context to the comment.

(2) I think there are signs of slight outflow restrictions in the later loads - i think we might not be seeing Thb drops/falls during the 1 min interval often observed with outflow restrictions because of cardiac output strength (or perhaps because of the leg position during the breaks).

(3) the bias graphs, seem to indicate that muscle involvement seems to vary in some of the loads - for example in load 5 it looks to me that about half way through the interval this muscle had a greater level of recruitment - the muscle compression pushed THb flat from its rising trend, and Sm02 reduced.

A couple of final questions/thoughts:
 - How sure are you that the power measurement was consistent/accurate throughout every interval? I am just thinking that potentially this is part of the reason for some of the trends
 - Similarly Left/right analysis same muscle and/or analysis on different muscles on the same leg might be interesting - perhaps that might show changes in co-ordination during and across intervals.
- As always having data from a non-priority muscle can be informative
- I would double check that you have correct placement of VL muscle.

stephensmith

Development Team Member
A couple of final questions/thoughts:
 - How sure are you that the power measurement was consistent/accurate throughout every interval? I am just thinking that potentially this is part of the reason for some of the trends

The test was completed on a watt bike with power being averaged every 3s on a garmin device. So consistency and accuracy won't be very high. 

- Similarly Left/right analysis same muscle and/or analysis on different muscles on the same leg might be interesting - perhaps that might show changes in co-ordination during and across intervals.

- As always having data from a non-priority muscle can be informative
- I would double check that you have correct placement of VL muscle.
stephensmith

Development Team Member
IMG_1471.JPG

Placement of the MOXY  

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net