Author   Comment  
AJ

Development Team Member

Ok, so I did my first 5-1 cycling today. I am not a cyclist but looking to learn more about the physiology of assessment. I've read through lots of posts but rarely are any results the same.

So a couple of things worth pointing out-the recoveries were active, spinning easy with very low resistance at about 60-70 rpm. I did the test on a Keiser spin bike and used the resistance to adjust the wattage spinning at 95-100rpm. I started at 100 watts after a short warm up and went up in 50 watt increments to 300 before I could not hold the wattage after about a minute. In the first stage there's a decline in Sm02 around 6:00 where I was adjusting my position before it comes back up
51Capture.png 
So things I notice from the data:
-the drop in THb at the beginning of each recovery, suggesting some venous compression?
-Overall downward trend in THb as the test goes on, even more noticeable in the final stage. Could that be a respitory limitation? I'm thinking metaboreflex limiting blood flow to working muscle despite increasing demand. I was breathing heavily at this point.
-heart rate is slower to recover at the end of the 4th stage and slow to rise at the beginning of the 5th-possibly supporting the respiratory limitation as there was O2 demand elsewhere causing HR to remain elevated?

I'd be grateful for other's interpretations and suggestions! I'm planning on repeating this test, perhaps with smaller wattage jumps and with a second moxy on a non involved muscle, a have another on the way.

Attached Files
csv Alex 5 1 test 100 to 300w active recovery keiser bike.csv (83.03 KB, 0 views)

MetaTrainingSST

Development Team Member

Recommendations:
- Do not warm up
- Start at 100w or maybe 75w, there is no hurry
- Make increases of 25w or repeat the interval, here are the two examples:
1st: 100 1st: 100
2nd: 125 2nd: 100
3rd: 150 3rd: 150
4th: 175 4th: 150
5th: 200 5th: 200
6th: 225 6th: 200
7th: 250 7th: 250
- Perform 4 minute intervals instead of 5
- You only have 1 Moxy?
- What muscle have you analyzed?

Martí

AJ

Development Team Member
Hi Marti

Thanks for the reply. I plan on repeating the test and will incorporate the suggestions you make. Why is your preference 4 min vs 5? I have one Moxy right now but should have another one by the end of this week. For this test it was placed on the right VL
MetaTrainingSST

Development Team Member

If you want good results, you should do the same test on different days if you only have 1 Moxy, (for example, Monday - Wednesday - Friday).
It is important that you keep the same cadence, a normal cadence (between 75 and 85rpm).
4 minutes are enough to create the metabolic deficit needed to analyze.
You should analyze the vastus lateralis, rectus femoris and hamstring. Our clients have performed the test on different days and the results are the same. There is no variation (insignificant).
Are you a cyclist, investigator or coach?
I leave my email if you have more questions:
metatrainingsst@hotmail.com

Martí

AJ

Development Team Member
I'm a coach with strength and conditioning background. I prefer a higher cadence around 95 and was +/- 5 rpm for the whole test.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net