Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
runner

Development Team Member
I did a running fartlek interval session, 5x10' with 5' running recovery in between.
Here's an annotated data:

fartlek.png 

I have "averaged" SmO2 over 10 minute interval by eye. "Target HR" was around 160
and "recovery HR" was supposed to be around 130. Moxy was on RF.

Questions:
1. What could have caused decrease in SmO2 in Interval 4 and 5?
2. What could have caused increase in ThB in Interval 4 and especially 5?

My thoughts are:
1. Interval 1: still not properly warmed up, had to put quite an effort to get HR into "target" zone
2. Interval 2: best overall effort
3. Interval 3: slightly worse than Interval 3
4. Interval 4: recovery before was not as good in #3
5. Interval 5: SmO2 before hasn't recovered to previous levels

Power and HR are as expected in all intervals.

Thoughts?

CraigMahony

Development Team Member
runner
Can you put up an image from the OXY tab of Golden Cheetah or post a csv file of the performance please? Being able to see what the OHb and HHb are doing may help.

On the data provided I would suggest that the rest intervals were at too high a HR and that after an hour you simply could not maintain the delivery.

Possibly this may have been due some something like blood being diverted to the skin to reduce internal heating, loss of blood volume from sweating, etc. Another possiblity is a change in motor pattern that put more stress on the RF, ie initially the VL may have been more involved but gradually fatigued so the RF took on more of the load.
bobbyjobling

Development Team Member
Could be an increase in lactate reducing pH levels + CO2 up too, therefore shifting disscurve to the right, also increasing Vasodilation.
So maybe, Thb go up and SmO2 go down.

runner

Development Team Member
Here's the graph with Hhb and O2Hb:

fartlek2.png 
fartlek3.png

sebo2000

Development Team Member
Decreased SmO2 increased CO2 causes vasodilation and increase in tHb.

This is perfect example how training with HR or power is different from training with Moxy.

With Moxy intervals you would hold eg 60% SmO2 instead of looking at the HR or power.

HR 160 what percentage of your max it is?

runner

Development Team Member
HR 160 is about 85-87% of HRmax (185-188). 

If I controlled the session with Moxy and took the first interval as a base,
I would have pushed the second and third intervals much harder (to have
the same SmO2 level) and I might have had a longer "break" before the fifth,
or I may not even have done it (if SmO2 didn't recover or if I saw SmO2 
is dipping much lower than the base).

The goal of the session was to extend the length (a week before I did 5x9' as
opposed to 5x10' this week) at some fixed *external* load (ie, power, pace, etc.).
It's clear that the last interval was different, but that's the point: you have to push 
the limit so your body hopefully aapts and does beter next time.

Next week, I will do 5x10' wit 5' "rest" in between, but the "rest" period will be a
bit faster.

CraigMahony

Development Team Member
sebo, not sure I agree with you.

While increased CO2 does increase tHb, in this case you can see in the second set of graphs that the HHb has increased in the last two intervals and OHb has reduced. It also did so suddenly which makes me think that something happened such as change in movement pattern. runner, did you start running up a slight incline at around the 1 hour mark?

To me this indicates increased muscular compression. Possibly this is from fatigue and the RF having to work harder, or possibly it is recruited more in these intervals as VL may have been doing more of the work earlier and now the RF is involvement has increased. It does occur after the hour mark so fatigue is definitely a possibility at this stage depending on fitness levels.

It may be a combination of this and the factors you and bobby mentioned.
runner

Development Team Member
I ran in a park that was flat. I did take a short water break during one of the rest periods, and a short restroom break in another.

Could dehydration play a role? It wasn't super warm day, but I didn't take
a sip of water until before the 4h interval.

CraigMahony

Development Team Member
Dehydration certainly could have played a role. Also, sweating could cause a redirection of blood to the skin for cooling.
sebo2000

Development Team Member
Hi Craig,

Maybe intervals 4,5 were just too much.

From what I understand this was run without stopping, just slower run during recovery, intervals.

I still think this is perfectly normal, we will see difference between intervals if we go by power like in this case. Average HR seems to be higher in last Interval.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net