Author   Comment  
Dr Matt

Development Team Member
Hi all

I have made some headway in learning about Moxy and limiters over last 18 months, but I just dont have the time to develop the deep understanding that is required to make the most of this technology. Ready to raise the white flag and ask for some help. 

I am looking for an expert who can read my power/moxy/HR data, help identify my current limiters, explain to me exactly how they identified the limiters (ie so I can learn) and guide me in some workouts to improve the limiter. Dont mind where they are located, happy to do it remote. 

I have all the tools needed to do this (peri pedal, power trainer, power meter, HR monitor, Moxy sensors, spirotiger) just need some guidance.

So, any recommendations? 

bjrmd

Development Team Member
I have kept a close eye on the literature and there is nothing on using SmO2 for "limiters".
But there are several easy ways to tell, for instance are you comparatively better as a sprinter, middle or long distance athlete. Are you particularly strong in weight lifting?  Do you have issues with fluid replacement on a long bout?  Do you recover quickly after interval training?
I have a couple of thoughts on more personalized training, but basing training on a 1 inch piece of superficial muscle? - nothing in the real literature to support it. 
Dr Matt

Development Team Member
Thanks bjrmd. I have read your blog posts, about 50% goes over my head as I dont have a deep enough knowledge of physiology. Testing on costal area was interesting. Good idea changing the website color, the black background was hard on the eyes.

Should have mentioned this is for cycling, in particular for 1 hr time trials. I am not a slouch on the bike.

Based on all the data I have looked at I think I am cardiac limited. I get a blood shift from upper to lower body around 150-155bpm mark. I think I need to improve my stroke volume, have some ideas on how to do this but not sure. I can get my leg muscles to desaturate smo2 to low single digit numbers so I have no problem consuming oxygen, seems to be an issue on delivery side. My VL leg muscles exhibit a very strange ThB behavior where the response is always dead flat, whereas VM or RF will jump around depending on the load. Maybe is muscle contraction force issues, or weak cario system. I dont "think" I have trouble breathing, I am never short of breath.
bjrmd

Development Team Member
To simplify things, perhaps feed the last couple of years worth of cycling data into cycling analytics.com and see where you place on the power curve at 10 sec, 1 min, 5 and 10 minutes. I doubt it will be equal. If you are indeed "cardiac limited", your short term peak numbers should be much better than above 3 minutes.
If indeed you are proportionately worse at above 3 minutes, sure, work on it. There are a myriad variety of workouts to try, mainly Hit, intervals, polarized training, and plenty of junk miles in between. Inspiratory muscle training is also of potential help and the subject of my next post.
Nirs observation is interesting and maybe somewhat helpful for lactate threshold testing (+- 25 watts), but the other ideas you have mentioned are just not supported in the mainstream literature.
That said, I still use 3 sensors each time I do any interval work.
Dr Matt

Development Team Member
I use Golden Cheetah. I can hit all my theoretical numbers on the curve from 10 sec down to about 25 mins, but then it diverges.

I have never actually been able to hit my theoretical 1hr FTP number of around 345w in a time trial, closest has been about 330w average from memory.

I can get my NP way over the FTP number, around 360W NP for an hour during crits that are surge heavy. I am much better at this type of surge/recover riding. Pedaling for an hour kills me.

I cramp 50% of the time in any hard race over 2 hours in length. Never a problem in 1 hour TT and crits. 

Dont have time for junk miles. With family, kids and work I am lucky to get 10 hours of riding time, 6-7 is becoming the normal.
bjrmd

Development Team Member
  • I have never actually been able to hit my theoretical 1hr FTP number of around 345w in a time trial, closest has been about 330w average from memory.
  • Pedaling for an hour kills me.
  • I am much better at this type of surge/recover riding

An avg of 330 watts for 60 min is quite good.  However, I suspect that to achieve that wattage you are dipping into the anaerobic zone quite a bit (and it may not be something easily trainable-stroke volume, capillarization, muscle enzyme composition) , generating lactate and all the rest (calcium , potassium and hydrogen ion fluxs etc).  You may have trained yourself to handle and dispose of the lactate optimally but it's also possible that you have not.  There are many options to improve lactate clearance, but the common thread is that they all aim to produce a lot of it in short bursts.  If you only have a short time to train, HIT intervals like this may help.  The fiber type transformation may only be an issue if you do too many.
As I have tried to convey, looking at SmO2 isn't going to be a game changer for you, but perhaps changing the way you train can be helpful.  Also (and I'm working on a post about this), IMT (inspiratory muscle training) may also be of benefit to improve your performance.
tristan

Development Team Member

Quote:

I have never actually been able to hit my theoretical 1hr FTP number of around 345w in a time trial, closest has been about 330w average from memory.
    Pedaling for an hour kills me.
    I am much better at this type of surge/recover riding

FTP tests tend to overstate FTP so it not that surprising. If you want your real FTP then take the time from your time trial, it is a far more accurate number and is the preferred method according to Coggan.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net