Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
ryinc

Development Team Member
Here is an example of a workout that resulted in venous occlusion that i thought i would share

The workout was as follows:
A warmup phase, straight into the following interval repeated 7 times, all at a cadence of 50
1 minute at about 75% FTP, 3 minutes at 90% FTP, 1 minute at 105% FTP. 1 min recovery

Moxy was on right RF, and this was in a fairly fatigued state (hard 3 hour ride the day before). In the 1 min recoveries, the first 40 seconds or so was complete recovery than remaining portion light pedaling.

I have not discussed with the workout designer, but assume the objective of the session was muscular strength development - and given what seems to be clear venous occlusion trend it looks as though it was successful to me. In the last 1 min of load (increase in load) it seems that it possibly turns into a full occlusion as tHb flattens out.

20160912 Venous Occlusions.png 

Attached Files
csv 20160912_Venous_occlusions.csv (125.84 KB, 11 views)

Stuart percival

Development Team Member
How do you reduce this Graph Ryan?

ryinc

Development Team Member
Stuart not sure i understand your question. Is it "how did i produce this graph" if yes, then the answer is golden cheetah - free open source cycling analytics software

If you were asking another question let me know.
Stuart percival

Development Team Member
'Produce ' yes sorry typo!
ryinc

Development Team Member
I thought i would provide a follow up here.

Today i did the same/almost identical workout, with the Moxy on the same muscle. The difference was that this time, I was relatively fresh whereas on the previous occassion was after a hard ride the day before. The result in terms of Sm02 was very different:
1 - The Sm02 dropped much more sharply as soon as cadence went down to 50
2 - The overall Sm02 level dropped much much lower.
3 - There was a trend of dropping THb in the fatigued state during the 1 min rest periods (presumably venous occlusion), but not in the latest workout.

Heart rate was almost identical in the two workouts - so my thoughts are that the difference is local RF muscle fatigue resulting in occlusion (or i suppose the possibility of SV fatigue causing weak CO).

Would appreciate any thoughts on which is the more likely.

Here is the graph of the latest workout (non-fatigued)
20161024 No Venous Occlusions.png 
And for ease of reference here was the original which was in a fatigued state.

20160912 Venous Occlusions.png 

juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Hmm  help.
the overall Sm02 level dropped much much lower.
Looks  to me in the non fatigued  workout  SmO2  dropped  to  30 +-
in the   last  graph  you may call fatigued  it  looks  down  to  10 +-
Thanks  for the help
ryinc

Development Team Member
Juerg yes, smo2 sharper drops when cadence dropped to 50 in the intervals in the workout., lower smo2 levels reached and thb drops.during recovery in the fatigued state.
ryinc

Development Team Member
Here are maybe cleaner graphs which are easier to see (note the scales are not the same!). Non-fatigued graph first, fatigued graph second.

24 Oct.png  12 Sep.png 

juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
HMM TRIED  TO OPEN  THE CSV  FILE  From THE "FATIGUED "  CSV  BUT HAVE ONLY hr ON THERE  NO  moxy FEEDBACK  LIKE sMo2  AND ThB  HELP   WHAT  DO i DO WRONG.?
ryinc

Development Team Member
Juerg I am sorry, I am not sure what went wrong there.

I have attached the two files again - hopefully this works better.

Attached Files
csv 20160912_Fatigued_Low_Cadence.csv (85.38 KB, 9 views)
csv 20161024_Non-Fatigued_Low_Cadence.csv (83.74 KB, 7 views)

juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
thanks  will try this evening  cheers
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Super  fun  to play  with this numbers.   Most  fun as I have not yet a  decent  answer  so have to keep going and  will show  some  prints  later.
ryinc

Development Team Member
Hi Juerg, please remember to share the fun that you have had with these numbers [smile]

juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Ryan, thanks  for the  reminder, completely got under so will open  the  file  and will  show it  here for discussion.
I am getting   so great  and so many mails  with examples  and ideas  so I often just  try to learn  for myself and than forget  where I put is, BUT I have a  Ryan  file.  so for sure there.
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Okay  short  start to  this  discussion.  The  question  is ,  :
 What  do this  2   similar to same load  workouts  show  in difference  and why can we use NIRS  to actually decide on the workout  day , what we   still need  to either recover  better or  we  decide  to overload even more.  Here  the interesting difference between the  2  workouts, when looking at tHb  trends.

Now in the advanced  NIRS  level interpretation w euse  as well tHb  so lets  start her with tHb.
 For me  I  ask always :
 What does  tHB  represent  in trends. 
 What  influences  tHb  trends . 
a)mechanical  forces  :  Gravity , pressure  and more
b)or systemic     reasons  ( Vasoconstriction  and vasodilatation.)
c)  during  the load  or in the rest period  , where the muscle activity may be low ( not always.

fat  non fat  tHb overlapp.jpg

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net