Author   Comment  
Gunnar

Development Team Member
Hi all,

I have been enjoying the discussions here on the forum for a few days now and have read and learned some new things through it. Very interesting!

I am completely new to the topic of Moxy. I have one unit myself and am using it on every training to learn about how it works and what responses I can expect out of my training.

Now to my question: is there any information about the effectiveness of using the information out of the Moxy measurement to reaching ones training goals.
To be more specific: if I would like to get the best possible time on a bike race over 100 km. Would I get better results using these theories or by using normal training theories using FTP and so on?
Would be thankful if someone could direct me to studies regarding this.
sebo2000

Development Team Member

It is complex question kind of 30000ft question.

I would start with counter question to stimulate discussion: what it takes to win the race? What kind of race is it, road, MTB, TT? Also what does it mean "the best time" 

I’m 100% positive if used properly, Moxy will allow you to get 100% from your body, without running risk of overloading/underperforming, you will get “the best” performance out of your “engine” on a given day.

Will that allows you to get “best” possible time? I’m not sure, since there are other factors as well to get better time: bike, wheels, clothing, helmet, nutrition, hydration, stress, weather.

For given day considering the rest is constant (but it is not) using Moxy properly you have much better chance on getting perfect (not the best overal) time, than randomly looking at pretty much random power zone system. That means you could be recovered better in 2 weeks and you could get even better time using Moxy.

Since you use Moxy you will understand next section easier:

Let’s take simple power zoning under consideration. Z2 starts at 56% of FTP, in Moxy world it would be ARI zone.

From power perspective you ride this zone for 3 hours, and you have impression you stayed in the same zone. Now look at Moxy output I bet the SMo2 and ThB line will not be as flat as power line, indicating your body response to constant stimulus changed over time, as expected, but totally not taken under consideration by power meter.

Few days later you had few hours of sleep less, got some junk food, jumped on the bike going in Z2 and it feels “hard”. From “power” perspective you have no option but to suck it up and go, but your body tells you: dude I’m a bit weaker today, because you didn’t get enough sleep and fuel me with crappy food…With Moxy you will spot the difference and will be adjust accordingly.

Analogy from race car world:

Imagine Formula 1 team: tweaking the car engine, aerodynamics, fuel mixture, tire choice etc,. Purely based on best lap time…. Small gust of head wind will slow the car down and all the fuel adjustments might look wrong since time was longer when car made second pass and had wind from the back. Instead they take a computer connect it to engine and look at the mixture and exhaust in the garage, same as you would take Moxy and look at oxygen and CO2 in your basement.

Moxy is an eye in to how training and external factors affect your biological engine, power meter is just another speedometer, did you realize that all car racers only see RPMs to avoid overturning the engine, they do not care about speedometer and time. RPM meter is serving the same purpose as Moxy.

Another question I’m still asking myself: When thinking about racing and training, should we think about creating best balanced “biological engine” for the event, or about the best time? More and more I start to think about it the better engine I own, my time will improve automatically, or at list my fitness will not be my limiter in race results. 

Moxy at this moment is holy grail of checking how your body reacts to the training.

Gunnar

Development Team Member
Thank you for the response. Very much appreciated. 

I'm doing ironman racing. So in this case the bike part is a 180 km race. 
I could imagine that you are right about the theory that it's more important to have a good engine than to focus on a certain time. But still the word "good" has to be defined with criteria fitting to the race I have in mind. 

At the moment, since I don't know much, I am convinced that Moxy might help me. Question is only how to get started... 
sebo2000

Development Team Member
I could imagine that you are right about the theory that it's more important to have a good engine than to focus on a certain time. But still the word "good" has to be defined with criteria fitting to the race I have in mind. 

Spot on observation, you are building endurance (diesel) engine not the 50 min crit high power/high rpm grinder. (what it takes to build that?)

In this forum you can find all the ingredients, you will actually find stuff that are elite top world level tricks and beyond. Somebody after looking at  your 5-1-5 might say, try some work on 2,3-BGP with hypoventilation , but I doubt it anyone will cook the full meal for you and tell you exactly how many sets of what exercise you need to do. 

If you are armature athlete and enjoin research and experiments same as training, it will be fun incredible ride, read the forum, read everything about physiology, keep your mind open, ask questions, study for your medical exams [smile] Get ready to spend a lot of fun time.

If you are are pro, or do not have time for research or simply do not enjoying it and prefer to ride, get a coach. Apparently it is not as expensive as one would think. Moxy certified centers are really inexpensive in comparison to  some of the "power driven" outfits. 
Lactate plus VO2 max test will set you back on average 350$
5-1-5 test will cost half of that and will actually tells you where the works is required.

I have seen coaches charging very reasonable rates for Moxy data analysis and advice, on contrary I have also seen people paying big bucks on template intervals that are no different from trainerroad.com for 10$.

Gunnar

Development Team Member
I'm totally open. Definitely not a pro and I already enjoy it here. 
There is a lot to learn. Just need some help to get started on the right point. 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net