Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
DanieleM

Development Team Member

Quote:
Did you change cadence in the last set?

Correct Ruud [wink]
Not a huge difference but at that point I felt  more confortable to drop it a bit (from 84/86 to 80/82).

@Juerg
Quote:
Now   did you had a  MOXY on a  minimal involved muscle or  on the RF on he same leg. ?

Not this time unfortunately, but I can do it next time.
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Daniele    and Ruud  thanks  and great  observation by Ruud. Why did  he knew  that Daniele  may have changed  the RPM. Look how  he changed   and   for some this  direction may be "surprising". 
What is  he possible  difference between a higher and a lower RPM on  NIRS  results. Why  would some change to a higher  in this  situation and why did  Daniele  changed in a lower  RPM ?

Why  would  a MOXY on  RF  or on a non involved muscle be  interesting to have?
Many questions as usual 
Ruud_G

Development Team Member
Main reason why I thought he changed his cadence is that I recognize the pattern. In this assessment load (wattage) goes up and you would expect HR to move up every step. Same time you would expect SmO2 to drop (of course untill it doesn't drop any further). The last step you didn't see his HR going up compared to the previous step. Also you see SmO2 trending up (same as in step before). Under normal circumstances (so no odd breathing or anything) people tend to slow their cadence "when they start to get tired and have to maintain the wattage" and as such you see a decrease in HR. At the same time you see SmO2 goes to a higher level (you also see that in step before but for a different reason than the cadence reason) which might indicate that he changed (either conscious or unconciously) his position (or pedal style if you like that term) which made he probably started involving other muscles to be able to compensate and get through the steps. In this case the delivery is still on but he uses less oxygen in the muscle placed the Moxy. Maybe he started pulling more on the bars (hypothetical) and hereby "relieving" his legs which do the work.

In general better trained cyclists choose a (for them) relatively higher cadence to reduce muscle fatigue. Daniele's system probably got fatigued and to "save his system" he started compensating with his (local) leg muscles with which he reduced the strain on his system.

As said it cannot be determined exactly which muscles got more involved but maybe Daniele can recollect / has a feeiling about this.
Ruud_G

Development Team Member
Just annecdotally but cadence , smo2 relations at similar wattage have been shown before in the forum, but if I ride at say 115% of CP (Critical Power) with a cadence of 94 compared to my "preferred" (based on feeling and on a lot of data on which end of the day I always end up riding cadences between 88-90), this makes a huge difference in RPE ( rate of perceived excertion) and -altough to a less extent- HR. So "only" 4 can make that difference between holding on longer or having to give up sooner
DanieleM

Development Team Member
Same workout, same output performance.
This time all the four intervals have been made at the same cadence (85-88).
I've collected VL and Delta Pars.
VL
4x8_vl.png 
Delta:
4x8_delta.png    

juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Nice  example  and  what I love is the nearly  classical  view on tHb and the reaction when there is minimal to no muscle compression or minimal or  little activity and when there is the " fight " between  CO  and muscle  contraction. CO  for both  muscles  the same, but in Leta  no  counter pressure due to  activity, where in  the leg  muscle contraction  works against  CO  dilatation. The other fun  part is, look recovery  reaction in non involved  and in    leg muscle , What is different. ? Now  important  before getting to   much int physiology is  physic  meaning  was always the same leg in the same pedal position  or  was  once the left leg  12  and than the  right leg  at 12. Than it is  important to look whether the leg position  makes the  drop  or whether it doe not matter matter which leg is in what position.  optimal  to look at this is by having one MOXY  left and one on the right side and do  the same workout  so same leg positions  as we now have  left and right comparison.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net