Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
marekmixa

Development Team Member

anyone tried to optimize pedaling technique with moxy? Im able to reach almost 0% smo2 on vastus medialis, 10% on vastus lateralis and rectus femoris. still havent data for gluteus...

Idea is that>
move saddle higher, backwards and hopefully VM would be (on the same power otuput) little higher and others lower. And there will be space for higher power 😉

also I can use one moxy as checking point. Placed on non working muscle I can know when body needs oxigen from there. I can use some ramp test and checking just time - this is solution for problem that I cant measure all muscles on leg. 

I have only two moxy devices, it needs lot of data and experiments.

anyone?

sebo2000

Development Team Member

I had pretty good results with single Moxy, two should be more than enough.

If you have Kicker or any erg trainer that can be controlled via power meter it is quite easy to do.

Initially I would avoid doing ramps. Yes they show smo2 at different levels etc, but for initial assessment it will just make you tired and could give you inconsistent results if the raps ae to hard. I would leave that at the end if you need to make final tweaks.

Just as an example I was doing 2x5min intervals at kickr set to 70% of FTP. (or simply intensity that will not make you tired on the last interval)

15-20min warmup.

1. Moxy on VL 2x5min, 1min rest for moxy change.

2. Switch to RF and another 2x5min at the same load,

3. Switch Moxy to BF and another 2x5min.

4. Continue with all other muscles you want to find out on the same day)

(with 2 sensors you can measure 2 muscles at the same time, it will speed up the whole process)

I was doing the same protocol on 2-3 different days to have comparison.

I could easily desaturate VL to 0%, my VM was really weak, and my hamstrings were even weaker. I had problems with sprints after long final race accelerations, I was simply getting dropped at the very end, and not because I was weak, but because I was using just one muscle.

Now I use hamstrings for accelerations and surges, also use my VM way more.

I can’t desaturate my VL to 0% anymore, difference between muscles is not that dramatic.

I remember my first “hamstring” engaging intervals was doing them at 45-50% of my FTP but they felt like VO2max sessions.

Andrea

Development Team Member
Great idea but I think is not the way to go to optimise your position.

sebo2000

Development Team Member
not position but pedaling technique...
marekmixa

Development Team Member
what exactly "exercises" you mean?

last week we made a big testing - all riders of our team, two moxy devices, wattmeters and lot more 😃  

Im still analyzing data, and preparing it for undestadable form. 

One of test was track time trial (3km - juniors) with moxy on rectus and hamstring. Few riders (imho) almost never used hamstring and oveloaded rectus during standig start. After last few days additional measurement I think thats mainly muscle coordination issue.

So Im asking about these exercises 😉  I have a few ideas - not directly focus on hamstring in gym but more complex exercise where body have options - use hamstring or gluteus or back...  and than try to use hamstring.  

Ideas?

sebo2000

Development Team Member

I can just comment on my personal case. Recommending any exercises might not be the best approach, since each situation and body is quite different, our habits, training hours, terrain we train in are all different. Your tests are good and will surly give you great picture in to your athletes.

After analyzing my muscle engagement at different power (engagement was changing once the power was high, especially above FTP) I determined I do not use hamstrings enough. I was primarily using VL while seating in the saddle, going out of saddle was killing me in 10-15 seconds. I could follow any initial acceleration even by way stronger guys, but then I could never hold their wheel for long, also was always dropped in final sprint.

I started research how to engage\train hamstrings, I quickly realized I will first need to work on my vastus medialis to be able to fully utilize my hamstrings. I was training on the bike and off the bike, I had to drop my power really low initially to be able to complete intervals with good form. I had back problems when working on hamstrings at the same power, hence dropping power to really low numbers, my hamstrings were totally untrained.

What type intervals you ask? Attach moxy on muscle in question and experiment, changing pedaling technique, cadence, position etc. I was aiming to desaturate my hamstrings as hamstring engagement indicator.

I train sprints mainly on very low power (I know it might sound counter intuitive), in the past I use to only push on pedals, I found that pulling leg at the same time makes huge difference in my case. Initially the power didn’t really increase, but I could hit second sprint at the same power just few seconds later for the same length. Again this is road bike not fixed tack bike.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net