Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
stephensmith

Development Team Member
So I tested my PhD supervisor last week, with a 5-1-5 cycling test. The screenshot is from the right VL, with the leg at 6 o'clock during rest periods. He is 49, competes in ultra-endurance events (ironman) etc, and also asthmatic. Test was completed without his inhaler.

Speaking to him and reading the graphs, I'm suspecting a delivery limitation rather than a utilisation limitation? 

I found these readings really interesting as it was my first 5-1-5, seeing the differences between the first and second binary was really interesting, particularly the upward trend in ThB in the second sections.

Overall we done the test with 3 sensors, VL, calf and deltoid. Once I've downloaded the csv files from the sensors I will create charts and upload the files here. I'm on Apple so need to get on a Windows machine first.
Test was preceded with a 5 minute supine rest. We have started standardising the VL placement to ensure consistency.

I've also attached a couple of csv files from a couple of motocross riders I was testing the kit out on.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts, like I said, when I have the other data I'll be sure to upload it.

Stephen
D.Doran 5-1-5.png 

Attached Files
csv MX Test 16-3-17 COM5 - Micky.csv (120.22 KB, 10 views)
csv MX Test 16-3-17.csv (205.01 KB, 3 views)

sebo2000

Development Team Member
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for sharing your data.
.csv files attached seems to have different data from what is on the screen shot, it does not look like 5-1-5 assessment.

On the screenshot it is hard to see the levels of Smo2\tHb etc.
It looks like respiratory limitation, THb uptrend in work intervals is most likley caused by CO2 vasodilation, same with increasing maximum rest THb.
It would be interesting to see data from low priority muscle and have ability to zoom on some recovery parts.

Thanks,

Sebastian

CraigMahony

Development Team Member
Hi Stephen

i agree with you that utilization does not seem to be an issue. SmO2 never gets very high so delivery may be a problem. I would be interested in seeing if SmO2 rose higher on a lighter workload than what you started with.

I agree with sebo as well in that it looks like the major limitation is respiratory. However, I also suspect that muscular strength may be an issue. The SmO2 did not drop away in the final loads but stayed flat indicating a balanced situation. Mind you he was at a low level so there was not much scope to drop away. However, it looks to me light if would have been muscular fatigue that caused the cessation of activity. A muscular limitation might also contribute to the rising tHb levels during the work periods. The data may give more clues by separating O2Hb and HHB. If muscular contraction was limiting venous outflow then low SmO2 readings may not have been fully due to utilization but partly due to dilution of O2Hb with extra HHB due to pooling caused by the muscular contraction.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net