Author   Comment  
QFieldBoden

Development Team Member
Hi

When I first started using a Moxy the unit was alocated to COM3 on my W7 PC. I used the system for a while but there has been a break in use whilst I have developed and updated my training setup.

The PC I had been using with the Moxy now has 2 CompuTrainers and  VELOtron attached to it which are running on COM1, COM2 and COM3, COM3 was previously used by the Moxy.

I have downloaded and installed the latest version of the Moxy PC application. When I now connect the Moxy it still seems to want to use COM3 which this disrupts the running of the CompuTrainers and VELOtron. When I run the Moxy PC application it will no longer "talk" to the Moxy unit as the only port option shown in the application is COM3.

What I presumably need to do is somehow get the Moxy PC application to look for the Moxy on say COM4, or the COM4 to be allocated to the Moxy when I plug it in but I don't seem to be able to make this happen.

How do I resolve this problem?

Thanks.

Q
Roger

Hi Quentin,

The Moxy PC App is supposed to Automatically detect which COM port the Moxy is attached to.  It's possible that the other COM devices are interfering with the auto detection algorithm.

I can think of three possible issues here.
1) The Moxy Sensor Communications chip has locked up.  You can fix this with a hard reset of the sensor.  Unplug the sensor and hold down the power button for at least 12 seconds.  Try this first.
2) The Moxy PC App auto detection is picking up on one of your other devices instead of the Moxy.  In this case, try unplugging the other devices and then seeing if the Moxy PC App finds the Moxy correctly.  We will have to update the PC App if this is the problem.
3) The Moxy Driver is corrupted.  Follow the procedure below to find out for sure which COM port the Moxy is using, then follow the procedure in the link to uninstall the USB Serial Port AND the USB Serial Converter.  You shouldn't need to do the manual reinstall, it should automatically reinstall when you plug it back in.  Just wait for it to finish the reinstall.

To Find Out which COM port your Moxy is using:
With your Moxy plugged in, go to your device manager (Windows Start Icon - Control Panel, Device Manager) and expand the Ports category and see if you have one or more devices listed as a USB Serial port.

While the device manager is open, unplug your Moxy and see if one of the USB Serial Ports goes away. That will tell you for sure which COM port is the Moxy.
Here's a screen shot of the Device Manager with 2 Moxys plugged it.  You can do the same thing for the USB Serial Converter under Universal Serial Bus Controllers.  Each Moxy will have 1 USB Serial Port and 1 USB Serial Converter.  You may have additional entries for some of the other devices you have connected, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are interfering.

DevMgr.jpg     

QFieldBoden

Development Team Member
Roger

Thank you for the very helpful reply. I tried the reset and this didn't change anything so I moved to your the next suggestion.

I have the three cycle trainers commected to COM1, COM2 and COM3, 2 CompuTrainers and a VELOtron, the VELOtron is on COM1. With the MOXY plugged in I edited the COM3 entry in the Moxy PC window to read COM4 and COM4 is then listed under the Device Manager listing.

I then unplugged the USB-Serial adaptors serving COMS 1-3 and they disappeared and left COM4, the Moxy. I then unplugged the Moxy, waited a bit, and plugged it back in and the COM port option which then showed up in the Moxy PC application was COM4, as I had reset it to and without COMS 1-3 plugged in.

So, it does look as if the Moxy PC application "thinks" that one of the CompuTrainers is a Moxy and tries to talk to it, because it lists only COM3 when the three trainers are plugged in. I didn't explore the driver corruption issue as I reinstalled the drivers and they seem to be working fine, the reinstallation didn't change anything.

At least now I can get the Moxy to talk to the PC application but I have now got another problem. I have a Suunto Movestick Mini ANT+ stick which I want to use to receive Moxy data to view the data "live" in PerfPRO Studio. The problem I am having here is that the stick seems to be working fine but it does not "see" the Moxy. I noted that the Ant+ profile pane in my Moxy PC applications does not show any ID, S/N, Model information which I noted in your video were populated so I'm not sure where to go with this. Screen shot below:

Untitled.png 

Thanks for the help, hopefully I can get this up and working properly.

Q

Roger

OK, this is a different problem.  We've seen this a couple of times before.  For some reason, the Moxy has lost track of it's own serial number.  We haven't been able to track down the root cause of this yet, but it's a fairly straight forward fix.  I'll email you some links that will go through the fix.
QFieldBoden

Development Team Member
Thanks Roger,

I'll look forward to the instructions so that I can sort it out. I hope I will be able to cope with "fairly" straightforward!

Am I right in thinking that the COM ports issue will require an update to be made to the Moxy PC software to stop it thinking a CompuTrainer is a Moxy?

Thanks,

Q
Roger

I need to go over this with our programmer, but I'm thinking a new rev of the PC App might be required.
Larry Flessland

Fortiori Design LLC
The Moxy PC app looks for the first com port that has compatible hardware.  One of your devices must use similar hardware to emulate a com port and the Moxy PC app thinks it's a Moxy sensor.  I can send you an engineering release of the Moxy PC app that enumerates all com ports and you can select the correct one for Moxy.  I'll email the setup file to you this week.
Larry Flessland

Fortiori Design LLC
An engineering release of the software has been sent to your email.
Jiri Dostal

Development Team Member
Hi Larry and Roger, I recently had similar issue. I have been using 5 Moxy for one specific test, and got the same issue with COM port, when I tried to upgrade all devices to FW 1.0. Can you send me the pre- release version as well? Thanks a lot.

Jiri
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net