Author   Comment  
jsoftas

Development Team Member
Cycling. Single sensor on VL. Not an assessment per se but I wonder if I can draw any conclusion from this. Two 12min intervals close to threshold (power based) - each followed by 13-14min interval 40W below. My LTHR ~175-180bpm, so HR looks normal here. Would appreciate any insights into SmO2 / THb dynamics here?th-smo2.png
MoxyPhysiology

Development Team Member
jsoftas, the first interval looks like a case of venous occlusion, where the contraction of the muscle is strong enough to stop/decrease venous outflow, thereby raising THb because blood cannot escape the area as fast. 

After the first interval your SmO2 returns to ~baseline levels, with a concomitant rise in THb, indicating a vasodilatory response to the first bout of hard exercise.

During the second interval, THb initially drops then stays constant through out the remainder of the interval. SmO2 falls again, but not to the same level as the first interval, this is an indication of some level of fatigue in the VL because it is unable to desaturate to the level of the first interval. 

jsoftas

Development Team Member
Thanks, appreciate your feedback
CraigMahony

Development Team Member
I agree that during the first 12 minute interval there is some venous occlusion. However, I do not think that we can say that fatigue is occurring during the second interval without more data.
The pooling of blood in the first interval from the venous occlusion means the SmO2 goes down due to dilution by the HHB that cannot escape. It does not necessarily mean that the muscle is using less O2 if there is not the same level of blood pooling in interval 2. To determine that you need to get the csv file and create a graph showing both HHB and O2Hb. This way you can see the volume of O2Hb rather than the percentage which can be affected by the amount of HHb.
An example of this sort of graph can be found here. http://forum.moxymonitor.com/post/show_single_post?pid=1294077107&postcount=27&forum=382096 

and in many other previous posts.
If you do not know how to do this then post your csv file so someone here can do it.
jsoftas

Development Team Member
Will this do it?
th-hb.png 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net