Author   Comment  
Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
I use now since many years NIRS ( Portamon )  and now both Portamon and MOXY in cases of rehabilitation on people with chronic pain problems..
 There are very interesting studies out since many years showing , that specific  strength exercise on muscles with  "chronic pain" but as well general exercises with whole body activation can have a very great effect of chronic pain pattern.
 One of the problem  is, that  there are studies showing this as a real great result and other studies show the opposite or no result..
 The question for me was, whether the intensity we may choose has a direct influence on the chronic pain situation.
 Practical example.
One of the more chronic pain patterns  are the tension headache caused by a severe  high tension of the trapezius muscle groups.
Before NIRS I would use the idea  of lactate balance point as the optimal intensity level and would use  LBP - 20, meaning the HR at LBP - 20 beats was the guide for the workout intensity.
The result was, that most of the clients would improve their endurance ability but the pain pattern was very randomly, that in some cases  it worked well and in other cases there was no difference.
 Now I use NIRS ( SmO2  and Hb diff ) to  decide the intensity.
 What do I look for?.
 I look for an increase in SmO2  Hb Diff in the trapezius muscles to decide the workout intensity , when using endurance  activities or when using specific trapezius exercises including stretching.

What can we see:
 Again very individual so no cook book but simply assessing one patient at a a time.
 1. Stretching exercises. different people different reactions.
 In some cases a  antagonistic stretch  increases SmO2 very nicely after the relaxation. In other cases  Contraction relaxation  technique works well . In some cases facial release technique works well, but  as I can see great reactions I can see with the same technique in another client the opposite reaction.
 Same holds true when using endurance activity . In some cases SmO2 increases and in other cases it decreases.
. In the endurance sport activity  we have a slowly emerging trend  when and why  by using our IPAHD protocol to see, what limits the performance. In some very specific limiter situation we have a drop in SmO2 in the nonactive trapezius muscles, The  key is now to gain and collect enough data's  so we can use that as a regular part of treatment for chronic pain pictures.
.As well as for  post training or pre and post race intervention by using the  individual proper technique for recovery intervention ( What stretching technique, what respiratory recovery intervention and so on ) How  : A moxy on the  muscle and a  closer look on your wrist , where you have live information , whether your  planned interventions as well the planned effect or not.
 It may throw the common ideas of  cook book treatments and ideas over board but will enhance the individual ability to create
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net