Author   Comment  
Larry Flessland

Fortiori Design LLC

Here is the chart from my latest run. 

The sensor firmware was modified so that it displays a 5-pt running average of %SmO2 which helps smooth the data and makes it easier to view while working out.

Sensor placement:  upper thigh on right leg over rectus femoris muscle.

This was a causal 4.5 mile  run.  When I started out the %SmO2 dropped and gradually increased to a steady state around 60-65.  Half way through the run I took a walking break and SmO2 increased to upper 70’s.  The course was along the Crow River on the Luce Line trail which is flat terrain.  There are a couple of underpasses with a slight hill to the main trial and I noticed %SmO2 dropping slightly.  At the end of the run I sprinted and %SmO2 dropped to mid 30’s. 

I thought my recovery was interesting.  After my sprint at the end, I stopped running an just started walking and %SmO2 quickly went to mid 70’s.  I stopped walking and stood by the car to get a drink of water and noticed the %SmO2 dipped into the 60’s.  As I started walking again, the %SmO2 rose above 80.

Larry Flessland

Fortiori Design LLC

This is a run I did today and wanted to include elevation info from Strava.com (thanks to Andy for the example).

Sensor placement:  upper thigh on left leg over vastus lateralis muscle.

This was a 4.9 mile run.  As I am going up in elevation at elapse time 10:00 minutes you can see my SmO2 drop.  SmO2 peaks around 11:00 minutes where I stand to wait for traffic to clear.  I sprint across the highway and run up a steady incline while SmO2 continues to drop.  The remainder of the run is uneventful.  I take a walking break in the middle and at the end.

Attached Files
xlsx larry_20120823.xlsx (122.00 KB, 12 views)

Larry Flessland

Fortiori Design LLC

Here is data from my latest run.

Sensor placement:  upper thigh on left leg over vastus lateralis muscle.

The data is very similar to the previous with a few things to note.

The SmO2 is lower on this muscle than on the earlier run where the sensor was placed over the rectus femoris muscle

This time instead of using the strap and shield that came with the sensor, I used compression shorts and positioned the senor underneath the shorts.  I then placed the shield under the shorts and over the sensor.   It was comfortable and I felt that the sensor stayed in position better.

I tried to keep a steady pace of approximately a 10 minute mile.  You can see my rest events at the beginning, middle and end where SmO2 is around 70.  During the run SmO2 is pretty consistent in the mid-30’s with a couple of dips below 30 where I run through a highway underpass.

I plan to base my interval training using these numbers where I will drive the working interval to around 30 or just under and target the rest interval to something closer to 60.  Any comments on this?

ScottSpoo

Development Team Member
I am really impressed with the steadiness and responsiveness of the sensor to your runs.  The 5pt avg seems to work well. 

Your plan for intervals seems like a good idea, to see if you keep it at 30 for a longer period of time... although it may be hard to look at the watch while running at that effort. 

Once I get ~ 10 good runs with it on my calf, I think I will try the quad, as that may be responsible for the better looking data. 

If you like to sprint at the end of the runs, it'd be interesting to see how if that eventually, the SmO2 doesn't drop as much with increasing fitness (assuming the same distance of sprinting).
stuartgiere

Fortiori Design LLC
Larry - I got the new "low noise" version from Roger yesterday.  I will be posting my data soon.  I have been looking for that "drop" you keep talking about, and I haven't seen it.  I have been targeting vastus lateralis, not rectus femoris, so maybe that's what is the difference.  After my workout today, a steady 4 miler, I didn't see the numbers drop from 85 for a long time.  Thanks for the great data - it looks like it's working well for you.  Stu
stuartgiere

Fortiori Design LLC
Larry - Were you incorrect when you stated you wore the sensor on Rectus Femoris?  Most of your data is stated to be Vastus Latteralis - which makes more sense to me.  I did a run today - 4 miler, repeating what I had done two days ago.  The only major difference was in placement.  Two days ago I used Vastus Latteralis, today Rectus Femoris.  Rectus Femoris is a pretty lazy muscle, and I speculate that it's used more for balance, stability, etc.  I showed some signs of consumption early in the run, then went to sleep (high numbers from there on).  This same thing happened when I did spinner classes last April - placement on the Rectus Femoris meant that the sensor would "quit working" about half way through the ride.

I will try to get some of the data up on this site, in a post/

Larry Flessland

Fortiori Design LLC
The first run was with the sensor over the rectus femoris muscle and the SmO2 readings appear higher than on  the other runs where I placed the sensor over the vastus lateralis muscle.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net