Author   Comment  
Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
We run a case study seminar this coming week in Portland  for a big company.
 I like to take this opportunity   and show some cases we  present to all the great emails I  get every day encouraging me to keep going as we do  and  show  cases  as this seem to be one way many regular readers  feel comfortable  and learn how we look  case by case. True it is not a straight forward cook book answer, but   this is what we  can't do in the first place. It is  what it is a  MOXY is a physiological assessment tools  with all its  open questions but as well with many new directions  and  answers.
 I can understand that   we have problems with this , as it was so much easier in the past using a VO2  max  or a FTP  or a  Max HR  or 220 - age or  a LT  or a VT  or  Max LASS. I  had a straight forward  number as a baseline  and the rest was even easier  as I only needed a  calculator.
 What I missed is the answers  I look for  as a coach or  in rehabilitation. What causes the performance the way it is  now. What is the weakest link  and how  can I improve this limiter. It is not  anymore a  question of  performance prediction per se, but much more  search for a performance improvement  in the search to  improve the limiter. If I like to see how I perform  I can go  and do a race or  compare my actual performance for myself in a performance test  of  any kind.
  so here the first part of  our seminar. You make the wording  to the picture  and   please ask  what the picture  my indicate or even better sent us your own wording on what you can read out of the picture  so we see how  we  do so far with imaginations.

case 1.jpg

case 1 1.jpg 

case 1 1 1.jpg 

We will show case studies from weight lifting of single muscle groups ( like biceps curl)
 to  complex motions ( like squatting) to Cycling as endurance assessment (TIP)  or a  high intensity recovery assessment (RIP) to  O2 Dissociation curve involvement, We show you  ice hockey specific RIP  assessments, real live on snow downhill training assessments. Cross country  ergometer  assessment  and comparison to real on snow cross country assessments. Depending on interest  we can goo to figure skating,  rock climbing, basketball, rowing,   and so on. Anything which requires  information on oxygen delivery and utilization . So in short anything which has to do  with LIFE.

Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Part 2. case studies on upcoming seminar

The key is  to understand, that MOXY / NIRS is really not something different than what we did before. It is  just much easier  and more direct information compared to what we had  in the past.
 Lactate as an  indirect information on   energy  use  and a part of the energy is  O2  and when O2  is getting somewhat  low on supply  we try to find additional help  O2  independent  for the muscle to keep going as we need the O2  in the vital  systems.
 So lactate was a great indirect information on this situation with the limitation and the open question, when  and where the problem took place.
 So  why would I   stay with lactate  , when I now  can   see directly  at the immediate  time  spot , when and where I may get into some metabolic  limitations. ?
 Why would I  still entertain the idea of a LT  when I  can see a  MOXY trend  when it happens, Why would I  try to find a speculation where NIRS  may change  and hopefully lactate may change there as well in the muscle, where I have MOXY placed.
Now  even   easier with VO2  ( My son  made a great summary and  will try  that he shows  it here.)
 BUT  VO2  is where we look   for O2  use   in the local and systemic  trends.
 Why would I speculate  at my mouth what has happened in the body    and why would I  take a test  and than use  an indirect information of HR  and Speed , when I see it live.
 So  try to use this case studies  to think  that way  out of the box . Simple look what  tHb  and SmO2  trends are doing and start  thinking loud.

2.jpg 

2 2jpg.jpg

Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
I like to keep going here  with simply showing you case studies. We use this in our seminars  and I use this in our high school group grade 11 and 12  as a final test  for myself , whether  I am able to bring the message through and they can discuss the cases   and show  weakness and strength on the   MOXY information. In other words, where is it  relative clear  and where  do we need additional improvement.
 Here  after  our first biceps  simple case study. ( where you able to create the different  reactions. ( compression outflow. decompression inflow,  venous occlusion    tHb increase  and   venous occlusion outflow reaction.
Arterial occlusion trend    with arterial occlusion outflow  and the fun  game  with creating a venous occlusion than an arterial occlusion followed be a venous occlusion. What will thB  do ?

Now second  case study a  more complex  activity . Squatting.
 See as well in the strength section, where i over jumped some steps.
3.jpg

3 3.jpg

2 athletes  same   idea .

3 33.jpg

DanieleM

Development Team Member
If I look at the second set:
Athlete J manages to desaturates very well each reps and to recover to the baseline.
tHB is following SmO2 so the contractions does not cause any venous occlusion.

Athlete D instead does not manage to fully recover in terms of oxygenation.
tHB is "out of phase" to SmO2 indicating that the contraction is causing a venous occlusion trend.
Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Nothing to add on  Daniele  great  work
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net