Author   Comment  
fellrnr

Development Team Member
I fully charged my Moxy this morning and it turned off after ~45 minutes use. I got only one flash from the green led and it would not turn on. I plugged it into the PC which reported "good" battery status. I did a hard reset and plugged it back in. The PC then said "full" and the green LED stopped blinking. The Moxy then reported 4 flashes for full battery, but 5 mins later it was down to 3 flashes.

The good news is it survived another 30 minute bout, at which point it was down to 1 flash and "good" on the PC.

Any suggestions? Is this just a battery heading to the end of it's life? Is the battery user replaceable?

Jonathan
Roger

Hi Jonathan,

It does sound like a battery that is not working properly.  It looks like your device is almost a year old.  Most batteries last a lot longer so this seems like a premature failure.

The battery isn't field replaceable because it's soldered to the board and we need to redo the case seals after we open it up.

If you send it back we should be able to turn it around in 2 days.  I'll email you with the return information.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Roger
AED

Development Team Member
Roger, could you please define what normal battery working time should be?
In my case I charge MOXY immediately before every test, after 50-70min test I usually get 2 blinks. If I charge MOXY day before test, then only 2-3 blinks of battery are remaining before test.
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Roger will   give the real answer. Tis is  just a  feedback. I have  2 moxy units  which  are  from the first  batch Roger  produced.
 I  plug them in after every use  respectively my patients  do the same  as they  are used  daily  for hours.  Roger  d  can tell exactly in what year  I bought this units  as they still run   with out  any problems.
 I  change in one  late unit  the batteries   as  Roger showed  me   on how to  do it in case I have to switch.  So possible   a no answer  question as  they may very individual  live expectancy . Perhaps no cook book here either . ???? Smile
AED

Development Team Member
Do we have any follow-up on this topic? The only way to be sure MOXY won't be discharged is to charge it immediately before testing, but it is not so easy if doing some field testing or where you can not charge before.
Roger

Hi AED,

The discharging while turned off problem is baked into the design of the circuit board. It's not something that can be fixed with a firmware update.

Roger
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
I have all MOXYS  always in charging mode    at home and in my clinic  and if  I go  in the field I have a small solar batteries  charger,  so it i still charging  for example in outdoor sports like  Cross country skiing.  It is  easy  and seems to be no problem. In the clinic  people  pick up the units  from the charging station, use  them and   drop it back  to the station  with   no  problems  as of yet.  Perhaps  this helps  and I use them  daily  nearly non stop. 
bobbyjobling

Development Team Member
My moxy 0157; once the unit is charged I find that it will discharge again(not sure if it fully discharges) even when it is still connected to the USB charger. It will recharge again but I need to unplug and replug the USB cable.
Is the hardware capable of maintaining the charge once the battery is charged or dose the charging hardware switches OFF until it detects the loss of input voltage?.

I have tried several different phone charges.
Roger

Hi Bobby,

The charging circuit inside the Moxy will keep the battery fully charged as long as power is connected to the USB connector.  It will do this even if you don't see the green LED flashing.

Some chargers automatically turn off power when the charge current drops below a certain value.  I have only seen this on those auxiliary batteries though.  Wall chargers don't typically do this.

Roger
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net