Author   Comment  
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
I  got  some very   nice emails  concerning this  question.
 Difference between calibration and  an assessment . I will get later some examples  on  the  actual  idea on this  as in pictures  it is  much easier to see  it through.

Here in very short  terms.
 . A  calibration they way we sue it  with   clients is really  as well an assessment.
The  calibration really si  the   physiological  tool  for a  daily  easy  " assessment"  to  understand  on what I may  overload   to day or what I   like to try  not  to overload too much.

Example :
 I  would like to de-oxygenate  to  stimulate  for example  2.3 DPG  so  I  can easier  unload  O2  form my red blood cells  to be moved  and  used in my  muscles.
 Now I  can do this  with a classical HIIT    or  heavy load.
 We know  by now, that if  I go all out  I will   ask the   full team to try  to help.
 So  I loose  control on  who is overloaded the most.
. Now  I  did yesterday a very  long intense load  with  a planned  or not planned  but it just happens  dehydration  so  low plasma  volume during the  load  and higher cardiac  stress.
 So overload of the cardiac system  and I like to  recover  this system  as I may have a race in a  few  days or  simply  because I  do not like to load  it.
 Therefor  I  do a  calibration, get the cardiac   " fatigue  " feedback    and now  immediately react.
 Cardiac  feedback is  good  so I can  do  the planned HIIT.  Cardiac   is  still not recovered  so I  do a  low intensity  deoxygenation only  with avoiding cardiac involvement as good as possible.  So  what  the calibration is    at the same time irt is  a  small assessment of the  current situation.  The   re- calibration at the end as we do in an assessment  as well can be used in a  workout  to  look for possible early feedback on what  at least  after  the load is   " fatigued "  to have some ideas  for tomorrow on what to look for    .

So as a  coach or training center.
  a)  you  use assessments on client  you may   not  invest daily  support. You asses,  find  the current weakest link  and set  them up with a basic   plan  to work  on that  weak link. . You can guide  with HR ,  performance  as  an easy  way.
 Than  you may reassess 3 month later.
 So similar as you  do with any other  testing idea , only  you  find  the  intensity or  zoning based on a  physiological feedback including current limiter  instead of a  mathematical %  calculation.
. What we  aim for  is , that   as many workouts  as possible  are guided  by   body feeling and  confirmed  by  NIRS feedback.
 That's when  calibration comes in.
ryinc

Development Team Member
Juerg thanks for this explanation

A few questions
- do you always do calibration on a non priority muscle? I am for example confused how a co-ordination overload from day before might show up in a calibration in a non-priority muscle
- in calibration are you only looking at thb or are you using Sm02 as well?
- you mentioned you used a fixed wattage, do you use the same wattage across athletes or a wattage specific each athlete - how do you choose this, just something in line with their FTP more or less?
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Nice  questions. I ill show  hopefully in he evening seem examples  on priority  and non priority muscles. I often   combine both , but after a  while you   an use  just  priority or non-priority
 The non priority  will give more  information on systemic  " fatigue " where the   priority  muscle    can give feedback on locla  " fatigue " I hope  to use  some examples to  clarify  his wording wit actual  graphs.  The load.  I  use  the same  steps  or loads,  as  I   have in a 5/1/5 .   for calibration so   somewhat  individual  depending on their ability  and what you like to  achieve is   moving through the OXT Y intensity and   the balance intensity and  just   see possible  indication, that you reach deoxy intensity.
 Now  you can  do this as well by a  ramp idea as  the example. I  often like to  add  a  sudden  1 min stop in  the   calibration    at the end of  the time  for exampel to see  reaction in tHb  and SmO2  .

Now  the advantage is  if  you stop moving again is  you get rid of  one  mayor  O2  user  and   therefor get rid  of  one  kind of a variable.

Now  what I often add is a   confirmation"  action.
 Example. I  think I may see a  respiratory  limiter  sneaking in I simply  overload the respiration more  without  actually  doing more  laid  to the locomotion  muscle  like on a bike  but increasing  eh respiratory  work,. If  we  are  just at the limitation we  will not be able to play  with respiration as it simply can NOT afford   do  play. 
 Hope  his makes  sense.   for the moment  but  wait  till you see   close up examples of  priority  and non priority .   I  always  use  SmO2  and tHb  as a   package  deal as  they  compliment each other. Again wait  for the example and you s e how  they complement each other as well in case  you have HR  and RF and yes  performance  . even in a biceps  curl idea.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net