Author   Comment  
Kotinos

Development Team Member
Hello,

I'm new to these parts. Currently doing my reading of the forum posts, readying myself to do some assessments on my athletes.

I'd like to get some input and thoughts about how to best assess 800m and 1600m runners.

1. The 5 min - 1 min protocol seems non-optimal in this case. Thoughts? 2. I also do not like the idea of using a treadmill. I think that that is too far from track running. Thoughts? 3. How about 1-1? or 400m - 1 min? 4. Thoughts about repeating effort before stepping, or stepping? I'm inclined to just step each time. 5. Tell me more about best sensor placement for this distance? 6. The rest, standing. But how? Weight mostly on non-sensor side? Also, running is different than cycling, it takes a bit for the athlete to stop and then stand upright, longer than 1 minute recovery? 7. Anything else I ought be asking?

Thanks guys!
Vincent

Development Team Member
Great    questions. Here  a " cook book "

1. First assessment is a 800 m  or  1500  race. That is the  real world  and that's  where we see, what limited the  performance. If you can add HR  to it  and RF  we are  all set to go.   as well we see the difference  the distance  handling of this athlete. Fro middle distance running.
Nice would be a  synchronised  video  lie  we  can have  with WIMU so  we see, when the technical section  falls apart.
  3  options . 1. Vastus  medilais
2. Guteaus maximus .
3.Rear  delta

Important  3 min  resting  calibration in standing symmetrically   on each leg. You can do the weight scale  control.
 After  the race  same  as  soon as possible  . If you can take  RF  at thend  and EtCO2  as well including that would be great  and SpO2.
 He may not be able to stand  upright  so   bending  forward  as long  equal  weight distribution is great. By the  way   why  do the bend  forward like this or  lay  flat ?
Kotinos

Development Team Member
Thank you. Very helpful.

Can  you give more insight on the placement?

1. Is VL inferior to VM for mid-distance running?
2. How come GM (gluteus maximus) over Ha (hamstring)?

How come standing after effort? Are there reasons not to have the athlete lie down; unweights both legs, solves the weight distribution problem?

I know the answer to your question, I'll leave it for others.

Development Team Member
Thanks  give me some time  as  I get his  questions often  so will make a  map  for track and field  coaches on  placements we use  for SEMG  as well as NIRS.  Here short  why vastus medialis  versus vastus lateralis. We like to have  as well some feedback not just on metabolic  feedbacks  but as well if possible on  technical  changes.
 The Vastus  medialis is a  very  forceful full knee  extensor  in the last  10 +-  degrees in knee extension  so  critical  for an optimal  push off in middle distance running.. Now   glut max is the  real hip extensor. Hamstrings  are  hip extensor knee flexors   so  when  main muscle groups  for optimal   middle distance running techniques  like VM  and glut  start to get to their limit  we  tend to shift  over to the weaker  but still helper in running. That's when  center of gravity drops  push of   gets less and so on. So  hip extensor  " fatigue " or limitation   pairs  very often  with a   VM    activity  and we can se this nice on  SEMG or now with NIRS. Will  be back  with more on this.
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
This is a very interesting point  you make :

How come standing after effort? Are there reasons not to have the athlete lie down; unweights both legs, solves the weight distribution problem?

We use the positioning  very often in  workouts  as it give  some additional  reactions  to  :
a)  increase   certain  stimuli
  b) improve  recovery time   due to the positional change
c) reduce  certain  stimuli

So here  what we  often do.
 Assess in standing  reaction  after load, assess in  flat  position after load  and in some cases we  have a tilt  table  so we assess even head  lower in certain angles.
 (Key  word  paraplegic  workouts.)

But it   would work as well in  average   athletes  and people.  Now this will help you to  understand and enhance certain workouts  by m making   ideas  more efficient     or other idea less efficient.
 So  make it harder  to recover or speed it up to recover depending on the goal setting you have.  Now this is no  only true  with positioning but as well with other options like respiration , post workout  nutrition  and more.
 Many of this interventions  are actually needed  to prepare  for a  workout  for  tomorrow.
 Like SV  workouts   often have to be prepared a  day before   with specific interventions.
  So nice  questions   not strange at all as it shows the   growing interest  and understanding on a need t look  above and beyond  just performance driven stimulation. As  Hans  Selye points out.
  Stimulation or stress has not to be harder  a and more but simply has to be different.

It is this great  dialectic  contradiction of  adaptation. 
You  make progress because your body  adapts.
 You stop progress because your body adapted.

The timing  of this adaptation process is  physiologically driven .  This  fact  ask into  question any  time table  organized   periodisation concept. Training plan  are  driven by physiological response  ability  and  not by  coaches  driven  schedule  and   time  tables.
juergfeldmann

Development Team Member
Here  a  short  placement  for  MOXY.
 Keep in mind  skin fold  situation  for  possible loss of signals  due to  skin and fat moxy placement.jpg  layer.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net