Author   Comment  
kptrzk

Development Team Member

Good morning Moxy --

Recently did a session that included 10 x 35s @ 600w (threshold est 370-380). (graph 1)

Noticing a trend of tHb to bottom out ~20s into the interval and then begin to rise slightly, while SmO2 drops entire interval but slowing a bit the last 15s. (graph 2)

On recovery, tHb rises (begins instantly) much quicker than SmO2 which stays at its lowest level from work interval for 25s into recovery then begins to rise. In some of the intervals during the recovery curiously SmO2 will rise slightly, dip again, then rise up sharply. (graph 3)

Graphs here
Graph1:
10x35s 600.jpg 

Graph2:
10x35s 600 recovery.jpg 
Graph3:
10x35s 600 recovery SmO2.jpg 
As always thanks for your time and interest and appreciate any of your insights!

K. Ptrzk

bobbyjobling

Development Team Member
Blood flow rate and blood volume are not the same thing. You can infer some flow rate change with a Moxy THB + Smo2 + load but micro flow changes is more difficult.
The body controls the flow rate to vital organs and it's not instantaneous, various delays exist which sometimes can be obvious by the over-uder compensation to the demand ( moxy on deltoid can show this) and then a stabilization is reached.
So during you rest period system blood pressure is different and the body is trying to compensate for this, however the compensation might be to strong and second wave of compensation happens.
If you us Fast Furrier analysis you can analyse the various waves of compensation and time delays.
MoxyPhysiology

Development Team Member
I agree with @bobbyjobling it is very hard to infer micro flow changes. However, this mismatch in SmO2 and THb could indicate that there is still high demand for oxygen (most likely used to synthesize ATP and rephosphorylate Creatine.) of which an increase in THb to the site being monitored cannot be fully met, leading to the delayed rise in SmO2. 

As for the increase in SmO2 during the interval, I have mostly sees this during fatiguing exercise where muscle recruitment is changing (with the caveat that I was not actually measuring muscle fiber recruitment). As the change is fairly minimal (only about 3%) this could also just be some other artifact. If the change was >5-10% then I would be more confident that it would be more fatigue related. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net