Author   Comment  
liversedge

Development Team Member
Hello,

I'm adding more support for the Moxy into GoldenCheetah.

At the mo I'm just working on realtime capture and display, so some basic questions;

1. is it possible to switch off the ANT+ radio altogether as part of the config to increase battery life? (or is that even worth it ?)

2. when its in S+C / HR mode is there a way to identify it as a Moxy (Manufacturer ID is not sent ?) so we can capture speed and cadence but actually store it against tHb and SmO2

Mark
Roger

Hi Mark,

1) We don't have an option for turning off the ANT+ radio.  It is ultra low power anyway so would make very little difference.  The LEDs are the biggest power draw.  To put in perspective, the LEDs draw about 80 mA and are on about 20% of the time.  The radio draws something like 10 mA and is on less than 1% of the time.  Both are 3.3V.

2) This is a great idea.  We're making some updates to the firmware soon so I will make sure that gets in.

Roger
CD

Development Team Member
Hi liversedge

Why not just add the smo2 profile to goldencheetah?

I tried this but can't get the qt part to build.

Cheers
CD
Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
I have no clue on the technology but if  somebody likes to add   MOXY information it would be nice  to have tHb involved, as in many  cases  tHb  will give you much more feedback on the  reasoning why SmO2  may drop or  climb or be flat..
 Here a very basic  experiment you can try. You can  drop SmO2  by holding breath or   breathing very slow and deep. This will increase  CO2  and you shift the O2  diss curve . So you will see  SmO2  dropping despite the same or even lower wattage output. If  you for example bike at FTP ( we showed this in Boulder Colorado  workshop live )  you may   be at   what some people may call MAX LASS. So you have a  stable   lactate level , a relative stable HR ( with s   small drift if you maintain wattage  . A relative stable RF  and a  stable SmO2  and tHb.
 Now  with respiratory games    hypo  or hypercapnic    manipulation you can create :
 1.  A  drop in SmO2     but as well a drop in lactate  numbers  from the steady state.
 Or you can increase  SmO2  but as well you can increase lactate values.
 You can  drop SmO2  and    increase lactate  and you can  increase   SmO2  and  drop  lactate .
 So you can see  any option   just  with your  specific manipulation  and therefore   at the same  wattage you can create all kinds of different physiological reactions and therefor  very different outcomes   based on the stimulation  and this despite the same  FTP.
 To know   what   is going on the SmO2  alone  can be miss leading  and  once you add tHb  you get  a much better idea on what happened in the local  muscle  like in the   legs   and or in the systemic reaction like in the delta information.
So when going through all this nice  ideas    try to  finish it off  so we have all  what it needs  fro physiological feedback's..
Roger

Hi CD,

Mark is adding the Muscle Oxygen profile and generally, that would be the preferred way to get ANT+Data into the system.

However, there may be cases where you want to leave the Moxy in the Speed and Cadence broadcast mode like if you are regularly using the Moxy with a Garmin watch.  It would be handier to just leave the Moxy on the speed and cadence setting when you switch between GC and the Garmin.

Maybe Mark had another use case in mind.

Roger
liversedge

Development Team Member
I have already added the muscle oxygen profile, but assume that some people will use it indoors and outdoors and won't want to keep switching from one mode to another.

Would be better if we in GC could spot it is a Moxy and shift the HR/Speed/Cadence across if we know it isn't really that.

I've pretty much got the basic support done now; csv and fit import, realtime ant+ support, device download and plotting on ride, 2d and 3d plots. We also added O2Hb and HHb as derived series.

We're now looking at adding more insightful information like recovery rates and other metrics as well as some of the more advanced science that uses NIRS to derive arterial/venous blood flow, mitochondrial capacity etc.

It will all be in v3.11 in 2015 Q1 and the development builds till then.
CD

Development Team Member

Hi Mark and Roger

That is great news! Thank you Mark for doing this!

I can't seem to find it in the latest development build but it is exciting to know that it is coming.

I see now the other use you are referring to and that is a good idea. It would be great if the watches could also be upgraded to read the moxy natively, but that is probably too much to wish for.

These advanced features sound great. I might have to get on google scholar right now to learn more [smile]

Cheers and thanks again

CD

liversedge

Development Team Member
Hi CD,

Moxy support is in development, but every now and again Gareth Coco builds development builds so folks can play with the latest code. You will find them here: goldencheetah.stand2surf.net.

To whet your apetite, here is a video of download and merge [smile]

Mark
Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Woww that is great.
 Here  what we like to offer if that is possible.
 In peripedal we  can download  a csv file    with 1 sec information for MOXY data. Roger has to help me , whether this is possible  with this great  software as well.
 If  yes please  any user  you can sent once in a while a  assessment for  workout  so we can look at it together  and I can try to read out as much as possible but in the mean time we have MOXY users  all over the world  who can pitch in and we discuss as we  do   here so often  and have fun to see and increase the information from a physiological feedback. Mark thanks for the great input on here.
Roger

PeriPedal saves data using the .FIT format. The .FIT file is automatically saved at the end of each workout.  It's save in the same location as the .peripedal files.  This would be the preferred way to get the data into Golden Cheetah.  .FIT is a more strict standard than .CSV so the compatibility across multiple software platforms is much better than .CSV.
Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
hmmm Roger you know me  need much more help in this one.
 So my simple question: a)  when I do a workout  with my patient  with MOXY  and live  In the peripedal screen. I than end the workout  and  to my big advantage  the program asks  me every time  : do you like to  exit  and save .
 Now  this is important for me  because as I am getting older  I know "everything"  the problem is simply I can't remember it. so great I  exit  and save. Now I go to history  and can open a  trace picture  or a  file with the data which I tan copy  and paste into our interpretation excel sheet  and that is what makes our discussion pictures.
 So  when GC  is now  using a fit  file or what ever this is . can I still convert this into a csv file  or not.
 If nor   can we still easy use them in an excel   idea as we have or do we create  something new. Thanks for the help. If you are able to learn me this  I  will learn you do milk goats  for free. Cheers Juerg
liversedge

Development Team Member
Hi,

So Peripedal will record data and when you save it away you can choose to save as a FIT file. This is a standard file format that is supported by most popular cycling / endurance sports applications e.g. TrainingPeaks/WKO+, SportTracks, ZeroPace etc.

In GoldenCheetah we support FIT files (as well as Moxy CSV files), and also have updated to support the FIT files from Peripedal that include tHb and SmO2 data.

Mark
Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
Great   fast feedback.
 I a not sure, whether I get it completely so let me  make it  as a repeat for Dummies.
 With GC  I have the same options as  with peripedal  so I can have a csv  file as well  and therefor    we can  as we do  now  very fast and easy help out  with interpretations for people who like some   additional ideas on   what we  do and what we look for in  MOXY data  situations after a  test or assessment or  even after a workout  or best after a race.  ?? Is that correct ?  or other wise please help   again.
DanieleM

Development Team Member
Hi Mark,

I always used GC offline (in my case .tcx files generated by ipbike) but as far as I know GC should also be able to show live data from Ant+ devices and therefore may display SmO2 and tHB data live.
Is that correct?

Daniele
liversedge

Development Team Member
Hi Daniele,

Yes, we record tHb and SmO2 in realtime on the train view in the same way peripedal will -- using the ANT+ messages.

Mark
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net