Author   Comment  
Roger

I've had a number of discussions with people about altitude training lately so I thought I'd share some data that Neal Henderson from the Boulder Center for Sports Medicine sent over.

The two graphs show the muscle oxygenation on the same athlete doing the same graded intensity test with and without supplemental respiratory oxygen.  The tests were performed in Boulder which is at an altitude of about 5400 ft (1650 m).  The muscle oxygenation is higher when supplemental oxygen is used as expected.

Athlete1.jpg 

Athlete2.jpg 
It would be interesting to get arterial saturation in parallel with this test to help answer the question of how much of the increased muscle oxygen is due to higher arterial saturation versus how much is due to other effects like decreased load on the respiratory muscles.

Big thanks to Neal for sharing the data!!!

I'd love to hear comments on this.

Roger

Juerg Feldmann

Fortiori Design LLC
I was actually hoping there would be a great discussion starting on this topic here.
  So let's start  from my side.
Supplemental O2 is a very old idea and it was very interesting m, when the first man was running below 4 min over a Mile ( Bannister ) and his O2 supplemental ideas of workouts.
 The great  case  we have above here shows one thing first.
 1. MOXY as a  tool to  test for SmO2 works.
What we do not know from this  small case study is,, whether the additional O2  ( see  T. Noakes) idea of CGM ) really had a beneficial effect on the perform,ace .
 What we have to be aware of is that a high SmO2 is just that a high SmO2 in the tested area.
 It does not tell us, whether we actually use the O2 or whether it is just there.
 It is the  ongoing discussion on the question :
 What is Hypoxia .
  And  I think the definition of the hypoxia is best covered with the term
  Hypoxia is the  question of the BIO availability of oxygen to the cell.
 In other words, we have many  case studies now , where we actually can see SmO2 increasing, but l lactate as well as an indirect information of metabolic demand on O2 independent  ATP production in some cases.
 This is the   same question we added to Antonio's interesting topic of hypoxia in the strength workouts.
 It  looks that we have to use  different informations in combination to make a better conclusion on SmO2 and its  BIO availability of oxygen.
 Here what I mean :
 Is a drop of SmO2  a sign of Hypoxia or  not ?
 Or another case study  Andri and I did.
 Here the surprising   trend.

1 Squatting till  subjective exhaustion.
 First point of  subjective failure was, when we reached a  very low SmO2 .
 Than we did not stopped but kept going: Result SmO2  stopped dropping and reached a plateau.
 Pain was strong but  Andri did not stop.
 third reaction.
 SmO2 drop in an inactive muscle as we had a equipment on the  quadriceps as well one  on an upper arm muscle.
 Summary :
 1. Drop of SmO2 to a individual low level.
 2. keep going  Low level  is fixed now and plateau is reached .
 3. Low level stays and  SmO2 in arm drops =down to the same level as legs.
  Careful : Just case study and no back up from any institution.
You make your own conclusion and any loud thinking on here is welcome.
 Last Question to Mr. Henderson,.
 In this case study on supplemental O2. What where the cardiac information  ( CO / SV and EF a well as LVET.
 2. What where the respiratory information  , three what were the metabolic information.. Thanks for the feedback.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

HTML hit counter - Quick-counter.net